We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: What did you do with Vera today?  (Read 334441 times)

Offline Catman

Re: What did you do with Vera today?
« Reply #1125 on: January 16, 2019, 02:36:25 am »

This has not been a problem for me. It is all about settings: How far are you usually from your home? What interval do you need and how fast do you drive when you get closer to your house, What is the home distance etc. The iPhone locator is much smarter and configurable / reliable I believe than the mios one.

Thanks. So the fence is set about 1300m away from home (so just under a mile) The challenge for us in setting it any further is that we can be in our local town for some hours, and the centre is only about 1.5-2 miles away and I'd like the house to be in away mode.
Not sure what you mean about interval?  It'd be *nice* if the house was warming up by the time I walk in the door, but that's always pushing the envelope as if traffic is flowing freely that 1300m can be done in <5 minutes which is the wake time for the thermostat. But I can live with that.
In terms of driving speed it varies but seldom over 40-50mph. Not quite sure why this should matter? There must be other ways of doing it but given the phone is (at least for all other apps) pretty much always aware of its position, surely it should always send a notification *eventually*

Typical use case for me:
Get up.
Drive to the local underground station. That's about 5 miles.
Get on the 'underground' which is actually above ground for another 6 or 7 miles.
Go underground (important as no GPS or 4G)
Exit underground and walk 1+ miles to office in Central London
Work (ha!)
Reverse course.

Now my expectation is that the Home / Away geofence notification should take place in the bold 'period' There's good 4G data. There's no reason that GPS wouldn't work.  Even if it didn't, I spend the vast majority of my day in an environment where my location is *very* precisely known by the phone and I have full 4G *and* WiFi connectivity.
So if the notification can't be sent when the fence is actually traversed for whatever plausible reason, why on *earth* doesn't it happen later. I guess my fundamental question is 'why is this not a confirmed communication between the phone and Vera, and why does it (apparently) have no retry?

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree!

I will potentially look at the iPhone plug in again, but see below

C

Offline Catman

« Reply #1126 on: January 16, 2019, 02:39:29 am »

I have ours set to dynamic polling with a 300s refresh. Most times, it sets Home mode by the time my garage door is opened, but sometimes I get some garage motion and garage man door alarms until iPhone locator updates.

But I also have a PLEG device (Reactor could easily do it) that pings both phones when the garage door opens, and each minute for 5 minutes.  This to set the house mode to Away in a more timely fashion than waiting 300s.

In both cases, battery life is pretty good on both iPhone 6 models.

Thanks, again, Don.  I might try that again. Couple of questions if I can?
How does PLEG 'ping' your phone?
Battery life is 'pretty good' . Annoyingly I live by my phone.  Monday, for example, it was down to 35% by the time I went to bed. Most of that is email and the challenge of being underground for maybe an hour a day (which kills your battery)
Do your phones make it through the day, and do you actually 'use' them?

Many thanks!

C

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #1127 on: January 16, 2019, 02:51:27 am »
Catman,

you will need to play with the settings. For example I extended by base interval to 600s (10min) so that I my phone doesn't get pinged too much when I am at home. However to improve the accuracy, I had to increase the divider for the time to get home. That parameter basically uses google map to estimate how long it will take for you to get home and divides that time by the ratio you decided and uses that number as your interval between location polls. Look into amg0's documentation. I find it to be very well made. I have been using it for a couple of years now and it's been rock solid. The most I have ever waited for it to sense that I am home when I get back is 5s. Usually my house switches to home mode as I approach. The speed you drive actually is used by google to determine the interval... If you drive suddenly very fast, you may get home before your house switched for example.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline Catman

« Reply #1128 on: January 16, 2019, 02:56:42 am »
Thanks, really appreciate it.  I shall look again if the 'fix' is no better.

I did try most of the things suggested and understand (I think) how it works pretty well.  But it still killed the battery :(

We shall see!

Thanks again!

C

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #1129 on: January 16, 2019, 09:22:30 pm »

I have ours set to dynamic polling with a 300s refresh. Most times, it sets Home mode by the time my garage door is opened, but sometimes I get some garage motion and garage man door alarms until iPhone locator updates.

But I also have a PLEG device (Reactor could easily do it) that pings both phones when the garage door opens, and each minute for 5 minutes.  This to set the house mode to Away in a more timely fashion than waiting 300s.

In both cases, battery life is pretty good on both iPhone 6 models.

Thanks, again, Don.  I might try that again. Couple of questions if I can?
How does PLEG 'ping' your phone?
Battery life is 'pretty good' . Annoyingly I live by my phone.  Monday, for example, it was down to 35% by the time I went to bed. Most of that is email and the challenge of being underground for maybe an hour a day (which kills your battery)
Do your phones make it through the day, and do you actually 'use' them?

Many thanks!

C

In PLEG, I "force refresh" the iPhone Locator device immediately when the garage door is opened and each minute thereafter for 5 minutes.

My wife uses her phone more than I and she usually gets home in the evening with more than 25%. Heavy phone days nearly 5%. She is a nanny and does not plug in very often, and uses her iPad to entertain her "clients". 

But we both have cords at work and in our cars and plug in as often as we can to keep them charged.  Today, I was a at 40% when I returned home and used it a bit in a 4 hour meeting. When I got home after work, I plugged it in for about 1.5 hours before heading to the pub and I was at 100% when I left.   Just got home and I am at 78%. Did a little bit of Facebook and e-mail in those 3 hours but mostly played cards. Got a few Pushover notifications, e-mail notifications, etc. Checking my battery usage in Settings, Facebook amd e-mail makes us 45% of my battery usage with 56m of screen on time.  Attached is a summary.

I will say getting a replacement battery last year made a big differenct in battery life. Before that, we carried external batteries and cords going out to dinner. I thought it was Vera but it was actually bad batteries.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline Catman

« Reply #1130 on: January 17, 2019, 01:14:07 am »
Thanks a lot.  Now if only I can stop the Google timeout I may be making progress! :)

C