We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: northq powermeter - LED Counter.  (Read 21327 times)

Offline utz

Re: northq powermeter - LED Counter.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:02 pm »
I would like to use it to monitor a mechanical gas meter, not electricity. Anyone an idea if this will cause a problem? Is it possible to modify the meter plugin so that it displays m^3 rather then kwh in UI4? 

Offline utz

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:11:35 am »
I got one of these meters delivered today. There are absolutely no manuals with it and I cant find them either online (You can download some exe file, but I do not have any windows). There is documentation about the z-wave command classes but nothing on how to actually attach the sensor to a meter (There are lots of stickers in the box but I do not know what to use them for). Anyone a suggestion?

It seems to me the reader has to be glued on the meter. What happens when the guys get around to read the meter? Can it be pulled off and then easily be re-attached?

Thanks.

Offline utz

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 06:44:36 am »
I failed with my attempt for now to attach the power meter to my gas meter. Its just not good for this (optical monitoring of the dials there). However, in the process I found out that my Schlumberger R5 gas meter has an RJ11 port where a switch is used to output ticks. So, this port would be better to count gas meter pulses. A device that attaches to this port can be found here: http://www.saveometer.com/store.aspx (The gas transmitter). However, that is not z-wave. So, either I have to build my own device to get this pulse count to vera or I have to find a z-wave device which can just count pulses. I may try to get a northq powermeter, cut of the optical sensor and try to hook this up to the RJ11 port (I need to figure out how to match this electrically).

So, for now I moved the northq  to my electrical meter. The electric meter has an led which flashes 1000 times per KWh. The pulses are picked up with no problem and counting is ok. So this part of the installation was no problem at all. The problem I have is that the northq does not work in the network.

The problem is that the device seems not to be included properly in the network (it initially pairs with vera but it seems not to want take part in the mesh network). For example, the variable "Neighbors" is empty after z-wave network repair. It seems that the process of configuring the node (resulting in "Failed at: Setting user configuration") kills the neighbour table and it is then empty. At vera I see reports of "no route to host".

The device can be put in a  mode where it is reporting usage every 5s. However, on vera I do not see these messages arriving.

So, there seems some communication problem I need to debug. Has anyone else run into this problem? Maybe with another device? How do I go about debugging and fixing z-wave communication?

Also, whenever I manage to poll the device (which strangely seems to work in some conditions) I get KWh reported but not W (someone reported this as well before).

I am using UI4 with 1.1.1338.

Offline utz

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 09:58:28 am »
This device is driving me crazy.

It seems the pulse counting is absolutely ok and correct (that is good). However, the device does not want to participate as described in the manual. When I added it first to the network I must have tried to set a configuration value in a way that upset the device. Thereafter vera tried to configure the device every few minutes but was never able to complete this task. At the end I removed the device from the network, reset it (by pushing the inclusion button 7 times) and included it again. After that inclusion it then worked and started reporting kwh reading every 30min (not 15min as described in the manual). However, reporting only started after more then an hour. I then tried to set this frequency to 5min which made the system stop. I now set it to 15min and that seems to work. It seems this device can get upset if you do not pick the right wakeup interval. The device has a button to put it into realtime mode. In theory the device should in this mode report for 15min a report every 5sec. It does not do that at all.

The meter reports kwh and shows that as a for example 8kwh. However, resolution could be better (8.125kwh). I noticed that when monitoring the variable with dataMine you see first a record of 8.125 followed by 8. So at least via monitoring the variable directly one can have better reporting granularity.

Offline sirkro

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 05:13:13 am »
Does anyone got this device up and running?

I have a meter with 500 imp/kwh.

I have configured:
1-Pulsefactor (1–655350) to 5000
2-Sensor type (1=pulse 2=mechanical) to 1
9-Pulse count to my current kwh * 500

everything seems ok, but it logs to much kwh, and if I press the button on NQ-9021 once, it seems like vera logs also previous logged kwh.

This is the meter I got: http://www.usolarshop.co.uk/cables-and-components/elster-a1100-generation-meter.htm
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:03:05 am by sirkro »

Offline Thiemen

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 02:45:20 pm »
Today i installed my NorthQ Powerreader and i was able to connect it to my Vera Lite.

At this time i am unable to get any readings from the device, and when i try to configure it, Vera tells me it is waiting for wakeup to configure.
I am using it with an mechanical meter.

I hope someone could get me started...

Kind regards,
Thiemen

Offline sirkro

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »
Today i installed my NorthQ Powerreader and i was able to connect it to my Vera Lite.

At this time i am unable to get any readings from the device, and when i try to configure it, Vera tells me it is waiting for wakeup to configure.
I am using it with an mechanical meter.

I hope someone could get me started...

Kind regards,
Thiemen

Do the changes you want to make
Save
Click configure node right now and press the wakeup button on the northq

Offline Thiemen

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:40 pm »
Sirkro,

Thanks for the tip, but i get the following response from Vera:
Failed at: Setting user configuration

Offline sirkro

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 02:16:21 am »
You may need to press the button while vera is configuring it. It is a battery device and goes to sleep after a while.

I've pressed the configure button, then walked from my computer to my north-q, pushed the button and configured it successfully. Other times I do need to keep it awake to make a successful configuration.

Try to push the wakeup button if vera stops when configuring the device, ex. if vera seems to take a long time on one of the steps while configuring the device.

Sirkro,

Thanks for the tip, but i get the following response from Vera:
Failed at: Setting user configuration

Offline Thiemen

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 12:48:19 pm »
I decided to to wait for a day and see what is happening with the NorthQ.
Yesterday evening i managed to get a reading around 17 KWh, however today after pressing the button on the NorthQ and configure button at the Vera the result i got was 377.000 kwh.

I have a mechanical meter and i did the pulse factor x10, however i cannot find why that is neccesary? Anyone?
So for now i need to find out why the kwh reading seams unreliable or misconfigured.

Suggestions are welcome...

Offline MartijnK

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 08:20:05 am »
In The Netherlands they sell the Eminent EM6600 which is exactly the same device.
It includes a manual with complete install instructions. Since one of the posters in this topic was wondering how to install this device you can see the manual.
It can be found on the eminent website (eminent-online[dot]com). Search for em6600. (Cannot post direct link to manual)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:25:00 am by mk2k »

guest13549

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 07:37:50 am »
I'm thinking about finally getting one of these, but I'd like to have higher update speed - is it possible to change the 15 minutes, and if so, what is the lowest setting? E.g. can I set one minute?

I know this will give a battery penalty, but I could easily run it from an external power source.

Offline sirkro

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 12:16:19 am »
I don't remember, but if your meter got a light blinking and also got an order,  like mine, it may read both lights.  That causes wrong reading of the meter.

guest13549

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 05:18:20 pm »
OK, got one! :)

I had no issues adding it to the network, and it seams to be working fine. However, I cannot understand how to enter the meters "power consumed" -value (in my case 92030 KWH), so I can see this in the Vera interface.

I tried to enter this in the Vera->Device-Advanced tab->KWH. But this seams to be overwritten by the value form NorthQ.

If I try to enter a new value in pulse count, I get that "Failed at setting user configuration". However, it seams as if the pulsecount value is in the unit...

Edit: The "Failed at setting user configuration" error was something else, and corrected now. Still, the pulse count value has no real relation to the vera KWH display..

Offline joreri

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 07:17:34 pm »
I'm thinking about finally getting one of these, but I'd like to have higher update speed - is it possible to change the 15 minutes, and if so, what is the lowest setting? E.g. can I set one minute?

I know this will give a battery penalty, but I could easily run it from an external power source.

Hello vespaman,

Were you able to find out if the update interval could be changed?

BR,
J