Author Topic: turning on the module if the button is hold on another one  (Read 1746 times)

Offline 1xe

turning on the module if the button is hold on another one
« on: October 24, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »
Hi, everyone.
Need help how to set up such a scene. I have quite of Aeon-Labs microswitches which are set to the press button switches.
I want to to the following if the button that turns on the light in the bathroom is pressed for more than 3 seconds than it also turns on the fan, which has a separate Z-wave module.

If this is not possible maybe it is possible to turno on the fan if the light is turn on/off/on withing 5 seconds and the fan turns off when the light is off.

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: turning on the module if the button is hold on another one
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:46:01 pm »
I have quite of Aeon-Labs microswitches which are set to the press button switches.
I want to to the following if the button that turns on the light in the bathroom is pressed for more than 3 seconds than it also turns on the fan, which has a separate Z-wave module.

Pretty certain that this is not possible.  The Aeon switches are pretty basic, and as far as I know don't have the ability to tell the Z-Wave network how long the button was pressed.

If this is not possible maybe it is possible to turno on the fan if the light is turn on/off/on withing 5 seconds and the fan turns off when the light is off.

Even if this is possible, it will be unreliable.

First you need to check that the Aeon switches report their status back to Vera immediately.  Not all switches do.  If the Aeon switches don't do this, then there's no way for Vera to know that you switched the lights on-off-on quickly.

Even if the Aeon switches do report back their status, there are inherent delays in the way Z-Wave works, which mean that the speed with which you flip the switch isn't necessarily reflected in the speed Vera sees.  Five seconds is a particularly small length of time in the world of Z-Wave.

Do some experiments, and have the Vera dashboard open while you play with the switch.  How long after you flip the switch does the change reflect in the dashboard?  Is it always the same delay?  Or does it vary?  You can only program a scene for what Vera can see, so you should be able to answer your own question based on your observations.

Offline Mutley

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:20:16 am »
Pretty certain that this is not possible.  The Aeon switches are pretty basic, and as far as I know don't have the ability to tell the Z-Wave network how long the button was pressed.

Do any of the switch modules?
I'm trying to settle on a module to use in our forth-coming re-wire. I'm also interested in using double-press and long-press. My current favorite are the Fibaro range, but I'm not sure if they can do this either.

Steve.

Offline autotoronto

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 06:18:18 pm »
The ACT ZDW-120 wall dimmer (and associated devices) can control extra z-wave devices with a double-tap or triple tap (or tap-and-hold, and double-tap-and-hold).

Create association groups 2 and 3 on Vera and add the devices you want to them. The ACT device then directly controls those devices.