Author Topic: Goodbye Vera  (Read 3761 times)

Offline kwieto

Re: Goodbye Vera
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 05:38:05 am »
And still lot of "more to come" promises... this looks exaclty lile 5 years ago  :-X

Yes, this is the saddest part.
Someone should take a list of them and name "Vera - unfinished tales".
I can wait for some solutions to come, but I won't wait forever. And as far as I see the progress on thing which are intersting for me is versy small (if any).
Vera won't run forever on promises they don't fulfil and friendly people at CC (but not able to help you if the problem is more systemic like device integration of malfunctioning "native" plugin (Ergy, Netatmo, etc.)).
I think there is a lot of "hostages" at their customer base - people who are not happy, but using the product for some reason (i.e. lack of money or time for migration)

Offline therealdb

• Automate all the things!
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 06:15:11 am »
I experienced very similar situation, except I was mostly OK for the previous 3 years - and I suffered two major outages in the lastest month, mostly due to "cannot write user data" and the controller freezing.

I used the latest event to move most of my critical code to my Raspberry PI running custom C# code and the stability greatly improved. I'll eventually move other things to openLuup and leave the Vera as a Zwave controller. I touted with the idea of adding ZigBee to my Edge using the ZiGate route, but I'm eventually considering another hub with proper ZigBee support and then move things to it over time.

I like the idea behind Vera, but 2 years to get device properly implemented, blocked firmwares and other things working like "black magic" are making me reconsider this route. In the last year I moved to a new (bigger) house and I've added a lot of devices (and more to come to finish gardens, pool and improve other parts of the house).

I can't tolerate downtime (and my wife neither), since we depends on the automation.

As a software developer for the last 20 years and now technical manager in the IT field, I know it's not impossible to re-route a software Platform, but you need to do it, if you rely on your support to make things OK for your customers...
Vera, dozen of ZWave devices, Raspberry PI running my own integrations, 3 Nest, Harmony Hub, OpenSprinkler, Personal Weather Station and a lot of code

Offline tixme

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 08:37:11 am »
If you get "cant write userdata" the storage is full. Can be the energi plugin. Vera support help you clean up.
Br Stefan

Skickat fr?n min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Offline kwieto

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 09:47:18 am »
If you get "cant write userdata" the storage is full. Can be the energi plugin. Vera support help you clean up.

Not always. I've had about 150MB of storage free and also experienced this problem. The cause was filling system data (rootfs, overlay7, etc.) which, as far as I understand, has (almost?)nothing to do with storage or plugins activities.
For clearing storage you can use following lua script:
Code: [Select]
os.execute("echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches")

But as I wrote above, it doesn't give you 100% certainty that you won't see such error again.

For the "syststem" memory problem you can try @Tsviper's solution (changing files with localization data other than yours into empty text files named as original ones) which can give you some space in such folders. Of course you need to log via SSH to Vera so it can be done only via local connection, and do this on your own risk.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:52:18 am by kwieto »

Offline tylergn

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2018, 06:00:38 am »
It's goodbye Vera from me too, I've just ordered a Hubitat. I've have increasing problems with my Veraplus and the latest firmware release left it so short of space that I got the "cannot write user data". It also wouldn't let me login as it said it was offline, and wouldn't allow remote support. I had to get support to ring me and access the unit via my PC. They removed a lot of stuff from the new firmware that wasn't relevant to my country and I am now running again, but I am totally disillusioned with it. I don't even have half of my intended final system installed and yet I'm nearly out of space?! I was considering Homeseer but it is very expensive and having seen the Hubitat it seems like a bargain and the company seems to have a good ethos so I'll give them a try.

Offline jojoflyhigh

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 10:06:06 am »
IFFFT still not available
Google Home : Vera concierge is mandatory. A non geek solution should be better to avoid box, config and complex solution.
Amazon Alexa: only available in US. Still waiting an answer on my question : http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,62375.0.html

So now, what is the roadmap for all of this?
It would be nice to reassure users as nothing arrive except promises...

Online rafale77

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 10:14:44 am »
IFFFT still not available
Google Home : Vera concierge is mandatory. A non geek solution should be better to avoid box, config and complex solution.
Amazon Alexa: only available in US. Still waiting an answer on my question : http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,62375.0.html

So now, what is the roadmap for all of this?
It would be nice to reassure users as nothing arrive except promises...

Unfortunately all these integrations you are asking for are a recipe for disaster on the vera. The current hardware/architecture combination is already not capable of handling what it has and is the main reason for all the problems. Just looking at all the mcv plugins, I have come to realize that I am no longer running any and replaced them all by 3rd party developed by the community and now moved to openLuup. I would be happy to be proved wrong but after years of use, this is the conclusion I have come to: can?t rely on any native integration, vera is overwhelmed as is, buggy but mostly caused by hardware limitations, does a lot of things behind the scene which we users may or may not want causing a lot of problems.
Openluup (93 devices, 88 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (132 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 202 devices, 71 scenes , 3 apps) +  Bridged to Homekit and Alexa

Offline opel-oleg

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 11:49:02 am »

Amazon Alexa: only available in US.

Yeah, but I'm in Russia ... We use, there are no problems ... And we have a lot of such :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:08:02 pm by opel-oleg »

Offline krementz

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:48 pm »
OK, so a lot of people are about to say goodbye. What are recommendations where to go?

I am in the process of setting up a somewhat complicated water heating system that includes two wood stoves, a heat pump, a resistance heater, three circulating pumps, a bunch of sensors and triggers, and several valves, distributed over two Veraedges linked together. The Internet connection is not reliable, so this has to run without any cloud support. It also has to run remotely, as this is a second home with poor accessibility.

So far I have not had the calamitous issues reported here. I do not want to set up a system likely to fail, though.

Any recommendations on how to proceed, and with what hardware platform?

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 11:38:14 pm »
I am moving to homeseer while the sale is on.

Device inclusion is very fast. Scenes (events) have and/or logic and inherent support for "don't run more often than X".  PLEG seems more powerful than the best rules add on, so what I did in 3 complex pleg conditions I need about 6 events.

The zwave parameters are easily accessed/updated in events and the UI....oh it is so much faster.
Device control is all but instnant.

I spent 4x as much as I did on my veraplus but I'm getting what I paid for.  In both cases.

Not sure I needed the Pro version but I wanted all the bells. And the ability to update zwave firmwares.  Skip that and you can save @ $75.

Online rafale77

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 12:07:58 am »
OK, so a lot of people are about to say goodbye. What are recommendations where to go?

I am in the process of setting up a somewhat complicated water heating system that includes two wood stoves, a heat pump, a resistance heater, three circulating pumps, a bunch of sensors and triggers, and several valves, distributed over two Veraedges linked together. The Internet connection is not reliable, so this has to run without any cloud support. It also has to run remotely, as this is a second home with poor accessibility.

So far I have not had the calamitous issues reported here. I do not want to set up a system likely to fail, though.

The two best alternatives I am looking at:
Homeseer but the fact that it runs on Windows is almost a deal breaker. There is a more limited Linux version which would likely not satisfy my needs.

Hubitat. Already have one and I have the intention of adding it to my system as a secondary controller for backup and to play with.

What I run currently: openLuup as the master controller. My Vera Plus and Home Assistant are set as secondary daughter controllers to openLuup. I have now completely isolated the Vera from the internet and it seems to be working fine (better than with?). This took a lot of time and effort to setup as I had to sync both the Vera and Homeassistant to openLuup but it is as stable as it has ever been. The most unreliable part of my system remains the vera and by a mile which is the reason why I am looking at hubitat at least as a backup.
Openluup (93 devices, 88 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (132 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 202 devices, 71 scenes , 3 apps) +  Bridged to Homekit and Alexa

Offline kwieto

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 05:43:26 am »
I need solution which can be managed 100% remotely and I don't want to install server system just and only for that purpose, so most "software" (PC-based) solutions are out of the scope.
Homeseer is US oriented and since I'm in Europe and would need z-wave stick for example, also doesn't convince me. Hubitat as well.
Pi, maybe, but I don't know if I can set it up the way that it will re-boot itself and start working after power failure, or if the system had to be rebooted hard way for some reason (it need to be manageable remotely, I have WiFi on/off switch now to cut-off the power from the controller if everything else won't work).

What is left is mainly Fibaro and Zipato, both can run locally (ability to work without internet is another mandatory criteria) and both work as "all-built-in" (no PC with any software needed), and both are running on EU frequency without additional adapters. Any other ideas?

Offline peterxbmc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 05:55:55 am »
I need solution which can be managed 100% remotely and I don't want to install server system just and only for that purpose, so most "software" (PC-based) solutions are out of the scope.
Homeseer is US oriented and since I'm in Europe and would need z-wave stick for example, also doesn't convince me. Hubitat as well.
Pi, maybe, but I don't know if I can set it up the way that it will re-boot itself and start working after power failure, or if the system had to be rebooted hard way for some reason (it need to be manageable remotely, I have WiFi on/off switch now to cut-off the power from the controller if everything else won't work).

What is left is mainly Fibaro and Zipato, both can run locally (ability to work without internet is another mandatory criteria) and both work as "all-built-in" (no PC with any software needed), and both are running on EU frequency without additional adapters. Any other ideas?

Running Homeseer 3 on a Raspberry Pi 3 24/7 since the Raspberry Pi 3 was released and it meets all your requirements and more. Based in Europe myself. Remote access is 100% and have scripts in place to restart/reboot if required.

The Raspberry Pi 3 runs via wifi which is built in to the Raspberry Pi 3. Alexa does all the voice control so outside of this what else do you need.

There is a sale for May on with Homeseer with up to 50% reduction so it might be time to buy if you are serious about a change.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 07:40:03 am »
Running Homeseer 3 on a Raspberry Pi 3 24/7 since the Raspberry Pi 3 was released and it meets all your requirements and more.

As I understand it is then linux based, so it is limited version (less plugins, etc.)

Based in Europe myself. Remote access is 100% and have scripts in place to restart/reboot if required.

But what if the reboot will be needed to be done in the "hard way" (unpluging device and pluging it again)?

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2018, 08:24:52 am »

The two best alternatives I am looking at:
Homeseer but the fact that it runs on Windows is almost a deal breaker. There is a more limited Linux version which would likely not satisfy my needs.

Hubitat. Already have one and I have the intention of adding it to my system as a secondary controller for backup and to play with.

What I run currently: openLuup as the master controller. My Vera Plus and Home Assistant are set as secondary daughter controllers to openLuup. I have now completely isolated the Vera from the internet and it seems to be working fine (better than with?). This took a lot of time and effort to setup as I had to sync both the Vera and Homeassistant to openLuup but it is as stable as it has ever been. The most unreliable part of my system remains the vera and by a mile which is the reason why I am looking at hubitat at least as a backup.

Check your details.  The Linux version is NOT limited.  It is exactly the same.  The only "limitation" is in the Plugins available.  Some of the 3rd party plugins are Windows only because they specifically use Windows Media hooks.  Otherwise the Linux version of Homeseer is the same as Windows.  HS3 owner here!