Author Topic: How?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline JimmyM

How?
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:37:04 pm »
I am curious as to why there is no documentation supplied with this product. Is it a trade secret?  Why no printed manual or CD? Is it assumed you will have Internet service at the location where this device is used? Seems contradictory to its advertised use as a stand alone controller.

At my 2nd home, where I have no landline, internet or cable service I am left puzzling as how to use this device.

The only piece of paper supplied with the controller gives the IP address so I enter it.

Once I found the device IP and managed to connect to it I get the message " your browser version is not supported".  Time function is not working. Since I do not use this computer for anything new I believe it is still IE6. It seems I will have to cart this desktop back to civilization to upgrade IE. Oh well I stumble on wondering if this is a standalone device why do I need internet connection for time.

I decide to start simple. Install just 1 device, a GE zwave light switch. After several retries and aggro...Success! The controller finds appliance module. Create a scence (whatever that is) to do something. OK turn switch on every 24 hours. Fine. Except how do you tell it what time to come on. Something about timers. Where are timers?

Dasboard....a screen with symbols that seem to do nothing. Some seem to try to connect to the Internet but since there is no service get usual "Cannot find webpage" message. Dead in the water now. Nothing in online support or in this forum on how to do the basics.

I suspect that the device will eventually work given a learning curve and much trial and error. But this whole process seems cumbersome and user unfriendly.

Why is no basic manual supplied with this device?

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
Re: How?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:18:33 am »
There is Wiki that contains product information. See http://wiki.mios.com/index.php/Main_Page

Regarding the time Vera gets its time from a ntp server and there for needs an Internet connection.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

Offline JimMac

Re: How?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:01:06 pm »
No need to update your old computer browser just download a copy of Firefox portable (portableapps.com) on a USB stick and copy it to your computer.  The portable version does not need to be installed, it can run from the USB drive if you want.