We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Repeater not working  (Read 2931 times)

Offline CRN

Repeater not working
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:06:29 pm »
I have a Vera 2 gateway and a SmartSwitch, along with other Z-Wave products from other manufacturers.  I am using the Vera 2 as a controller and the Smart Switch as a lamp module/repeater.  The SmartSwitch is working as a lamp module, but not as a repeater.  It does not route packets to my GE wall outlet or my Wayne-Dalton lamp module.  Does anyone know why?

Offline Daniel

• Head of Customer Care
  • Administrator
Re: Repeater not working
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 06:17:31 am »
How do you know it's not routing the packets to your other switches? Did you try to set up manual routing or did you heal the Z-Wave network after you placed the devices in their final location?
Can you please submit a trouble ticket so we can take a look?

I have a Vera 2 gateway and a SmartSwitch, along with other Z-Wave products from other manufacturers.  I am using the Vera 2 as a controller and the Smart Switch as a lamp module/repeater.  The SmartSwitch is working as a lamp module, but not as a repeater.  It does not route packets to my GE wall outlet or my Wayne-Dalton lamp module.  Does anyone know why?
Daniel Stefan ▾ Head of Customer Care
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline CRN

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »
I think it's not routing packets based on the fact that the other switches aren't getting the packets.  I have submitted a trouble ticket on Mi Casa's website. 

I thought all I needed to do for routing to work was to place the modules in their final locations.  Is there some configuration that I have to do?

Offline JOD

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:32:04 pm »
I thought all I needed to do for routing to work was to place the modules in their final locations.  Is there some configuration that I have to do?

heal the Z-Wave network after you placed the devices in their final location

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline CRN

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 05:20:50 pm »
Thank you, I will try healing the network. 

I would like to fully understand why the repeaters do not work automatically.  Why is it necessary to heal the network? For instance, if I were using my Wayne-Dalton master remote to control one lamp module through another repeater lamp module, there would be no way to heal the network.  So how would the repeaters work in that case?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 05:34:12 pm »
Why is it necessary to heal the network?
Vera (i.e. the controller) determines the routing, so she needs to have an accurate picture of the network, i.e. knowing the neighbors of every node.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline CRN

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 05:36:48 pm »
So I would not be able to use repeaters with a simple remote, is that correct?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »
So I would not be able to use repeaters with a simple remote, is that correct?
Whenever you change the topology, you'd have to update all the controllers so they have an accurate picture. Since remotes (i.e. a portable controller) can be anywhere in the network at any one time, they have their own way of getting a message to a node, but they will route through other nodes if the destination node cannot be reached directly.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline CRN

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 01:00:43 pm »
How does the remote keep track of the modules' locations? Does it get some kind of signal strength value for each node in the network every time it moves?

Then if it were out of range of any node on its network, it would just send commands for that node to all the rest? That means every node on the network would have to know its neighbors.