Author Topic: EDS One Wire Server plugin  (Read 34439 times)

Offline Chris

EDS One Wire Server plugin
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:19:06 pm »
I've generated a plugin for the Embedded Data System One Wire Server (http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/OW-SERVER--1-Wire-to-Ethernet-Server_p_152.html). The EDS blurb says -:

The OW-SERVER is an inexpensive Ethernet/WiFi to 1-Wire interface that is designed to efficiently monitor and control 1-Wire devices. The OW-SERVER will allow you to use industry standard Ethernet or WiFi products (switches, hubs, etc.) to build the backbone of your 1-Wire based sensor / control system.

The plug-in supports reading data from two sensors (currently). The EDs OW-ENV-TH (Temperature Humidity Sensor), and the DS18B20 temperature Sensor. The OWServer device supports a number of other devices, and I can add support for the other sensors if you have them - contact me for info - I basically need the XML file the device generates. I don't support the ability to write to devices - I don't currently intend to add this support, but if that may change!

The plugin reads the devices every 60 seconds and will add temperature and humidity devices which can be moved into other rooms. Temperature is averaged over 5 readings, and humidity over 10. This can be changed - if you go to the device properties, click
the Advanced tab and change the "Average" variable. The humidity sensor is quite noisy, hence the longer averaging period. Due to the averaging, the sensor data won't start to read until the "average" number of samples have been taken - i.e. 5 minutes for temperatures, and 10 for humidity. It will then update at 60 second intervals afterwards.

To install -:
Upload the files using the "MiOS Developers" button. Click on Luup Files and upload the 5 files for the plugin.

Create a new device with the following parameters -:
DeviceType: urn:cd-jackson-com:device:OWServer:1
Description: One Wire Server
UpnpDevName: D_OWServer.xml
UpnpImplFilename: I_OWServer.xml
IP: Set the IP address of the server

Click "Create Device". Restart Luup.

Let me know if you have any issues - I'm still working on this, so appologies if it does something "funny", although it's been working fine here for the past few days.

----
Last plugin update on 15th Jan 2012
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:41:39 pm by Chris »

Offline David EDS

Re: EDS One Wire Server plugin
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 05:37:47 pm »
I am employed by Embedded Data Systems, and I would be happy to give you access (online/samples) to additional sensors you are interested in supporting.  You could have remote access to an OW-SERVER-ENET with any supported sensor attached within a few minutes of talking to us.  I'd think the alarm relay functions in our OW-ENV sensor line might be particularly appealing to home automation enthusiast.  Please feel free to contact me if I can be of help.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:39:46 pm by David EDS »

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:32:03 am »
Hi David,
Thanks for the message - the OW-SERVER is an excelent unit for monitoring environmental conditions around the home and I'm happy to support it. In the way that it's implemented, we end up with better resolution than the Z-Wave type sensors (e.g. 0.1 deg vs 1 deg) which is quite an advantage in my opinion.

I'll send you a PM with my email so we can discuss the best way to add support for other sensors.

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:16:35 am by Chris »

Offline readw

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:33:44 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for making the plug-in available.   I have purchased an ow-server and I have to say it is very well made.  At the moment I have two D2 Photo sensors that I would like to get working on Vera. 

I have attached the xml file.

Thanks

Warren

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »
Hi Warren,
I've had a go at implementing this - it uses a chip that's not exactly complicated, but there is a bit to it. I've implemented it as a binary switch, since that's effectively what the chip is (it's a dual port in/output). Due to the fact I've made quite a few changes, I'd really like to test this myself before I send it out and (potentially) screw up your system.
I'll order up a board with this chip tomorrow and will try and get out a new version later in the week.

Cheers
Chris

Offline Japi

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:59:28 am »
Hi Chris,

Is there a way to have the temperature sensors display in Fahrenheit instead of Centigrade?

-Jason

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:02 pm »
All one wire sensors (that I know of) return degC, but I'll add a conversion into the next version to support degF.

As a general note - I am planning a major update of the plugin in the next week or so. This will include some new sensors (D2Photo for starters), and is a major rewrite to make it easier to add different devices and provide extra flexibility... While I hope to keep backward compatibility with the existing plugin, it's possible that users many have to remove current sensors and re-install...

More on this when it's available...

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:52:56 pm »
Chris,

Keep up the good work. I may pick up a unit in the near future. For now I have my hands tied with some other projects for Vera. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

- Garrett

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:30:39 pm »
Hi

Not my day, the server and a temperature sensor turned up today, very impressive service from http://www.homechip.com.

Some creative work with a DSL modem data cable and an ethernet patch cable chopped in half and spliced together in the middle gave me a lead between the Tsense http://www.homechip.com/catalog/documents/iButtonLink/manuals%20for%20t-sense%20041708.pdf which has the packaged sensor chip and the server.

Plugging them together leads to the server web page showing that a temperature sensor is connected and that the "health" parameter is 7 indicating all is well so the wiring seems to be validated, unplugging it and it shows errors and 0 devices connected, again an indication that wiring is fine.

The down side is that it does not respond to temperature :( It's stuck on 23.9373.

I don't have a spare temperature sensor yet (ordered 2 but one was out of stock) and hence can't substitute.

Have you ever seen this error, any suggestions on what to do, is it a user parameter I need to set??

The plug in is working, temperature of 22.9 showing on it, just a shame it's not the room temperature.

I'll have a rummage around some OWS forums and see if anyone has suggestions there as well.

Thanks for the help, looks like it's going to be a really good addition when it's working properly.

Nick

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:56:08 pm »
OK, it's working now by the looks of it, changed the cable for a RJ12 to RJ12 lead, the  RJ12 fits into the centre of the RJ45 on the Tsense and the correct pins fit. That means a spare DSL modem cable does the job

Temperature is now updating and looging, will see what I get overnight

Thanks for the plugin and suggestions

Nick

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »
I've seen something "funny" in the past if the power line isn't tied "somewhere". You can either tie it to 5v or ground - if you tie it to 5v, then this is what 1-wire call passive powering, where the 1-wire devices glean a little power off the data line. So, I'd just make sure that you have the 3 wires installed correctly. I don't recall if this fits your situation, but it's where I'd look...

One other point - you can get the DS18B20 chip on eBay for about £6 for 10 I think. The T-sense is basically an 18B20 in an RJ45 connector - sure, it's a little more convenient (in some circumstances), but 20x the price...

Offline readw

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 11:10:23 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the great work on this. 

I am also looking at the OW-ENV-TL and GP1 module as well.

Warren

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 06:22:41 pm »
I am also looking at the OW-ENV-TL and GP1 module as well.
The OW-ENV-TL shouldn't be a problem. I've got some more sensors coming including one that has the light sensor, so this should be included in the next version. The counter will also be supported - I just need to work out how to implement it. I don't think it will be a problem, I just haven't thought about it yet...

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 03:27:42 am »
Just to say thanks for the work on this Chris, an excellent sensor that has made a vast difference to the information quality I am getting into Vera.

Nick

Offline wale636

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 05:49:46 am »
Thanks for posting this plugging, I will try it and let you know.