We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 3 Way switch without neutral and ground?  (Read 15500 times)

Offline michaelk

Re: 3 Way switch without neutral and ground?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 09:18:50 pm »
are you sure there's no ground in the gang box? I'd check with an electrician before you proceed. it's something of a safety issue to not have a ground in the system and to ignore a grounding conductor on any device.  I believe it's been DECADES since any building should have been wired without a ground in the US.  I'd be weary to fiddle too much with such a system without a ground. (notice the wiki.answers.com  link talks about exceptions and depending on jurisdictional ok- meaning it may not be legal in your local area. Also explains that the preferred alternative is to rewire to add a ground)

It's been years since I was up on codes, so you should check with an electrician before you take my word on it. But if i remember correctly, if you have metal gang boxes and they are fed by BX (metal sheathed) cable, then the sheathing on the BX cable and the metal boxes are the ground (if properly installed).  Perhaps that's why you dont see a grounding conductor? If that's the case, there should be a standard sized hole in the metal gang box that accepts a ground screw and pigtail.  A pigtail is something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=grounding+pigtail&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7819924290111735763&sa=X&ei=G43VTufRO6bw0gGjvYXpAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGoQ8gIwAQ
you can get them at the home depot in packs of like 10 or 100. (or you can cut your own wire and just get the proper standard sized screws)

You would attach the pigtail to the box and presto chango- that's your ground.

would attach and look something like this:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/elect/remodel1/outlets/floor/elflrc17aro_floor_outlet.jpg

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:20:55 pm by michaelk »