Author Topic: LuaUPnP discussion -- the next big feature in Vera  (Read 48701 times)

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
Re: LuaUPnP discussion -- the next big feature in Vera
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 11:01:25 am »
So, what do you suggest? I do remember our early discussion on "satellites". But I would assume MCV has to start something. gc100 seems like a low hanging fruit, as it is supported by parent projects - pluto and linux-mce...

I just realized that those with Squeezeboxes in every corners are lucky - Squeezebox works as wireless bridge, and it's naturally located with the rest of IR equipment - so gc100 can be connected to Squeezebox.

Offline zmistro

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 01:08:16 pm »
So when is this Lua PNP going to be available?

Offline cj

• MiCasaVerde
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 09:51:23 am »
Last week we released and alpha version of the backbone ( you can control devices/scenes using upnp ), next week we should have an alpha version of the web interface too.

Offline micasaverde

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 06:11:07 pm »
Regarding the talk about the wired infrared control...  Yes, we know most people don't have an ethernet jack behind the TV to support a gc100.  The next release does support bridge mode so you can put a slave unit behind the TV with wi-fi.  But that's expensive and not ideal either.  So we know both aren't great solutions.  For that reason, we've put some effort into using the wi-fi infrared extender that Philips makes for their pronto.  But, it doesn't use an open API and presented other challenges.

What we really need is a Z-Wave A/V control point.  The spec exists--you send it the a/v commands over z-wave and it transmits.  But nobody makes one yet.  Nor a wi-fi a/v transmitter.  And we're not a hardware manufacturer to build one ourself; we do software.  This has actually been the hold up for IR.  We had the GC100 interface working ages ago.  But, since it doesn't have a UEI chip in it with the i/r codes built-in, and it required hardwired ethernet, we figured it wasn't a user-friendly solution.  We were waiting on another company that was going to make a Z-Wave A/V control point, which would have been perfect.  But, due to the economic turmoil, they, along with a lot of other companies that intended to launch new Z-Wave products have delayed their products, such as the power strip in our demo video.

So, we went back to the GC100.  It will be out within a week.  And we have a new program for developers too.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 07:47:39 pm »
Guys, so why wouldn't you make a simple workaround for the meanwhile - make a separate open-wrt build with no z-wave, with a simple daemon-listener and USB-UIRT support - so anyone could flash a spare router and use it as remote IR agent for Vera? Must be a couple of hours effort for you. And it could be a nice solution, may be not for general population, but for many of those who can flash an old router. At least in this config there's no need for gc100.

Offline esc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 08:13:02 am »
Guys, so why wouldn't you make a simple workaround for the meanwhile - make a separate open-wrt build with no z-wave, with a simple daemon-listener and USB-UIRT support - so anyone could flash a spare router and use it as remote IR agent for Vera? Must be a couple of hours effort for you. And it could be a nice solution, may be not for general population, but for many of those who can flash an old router. At least in this config there's no need for gc100.

Great idea! I second that.

Offline rickg

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 08:49:48 am »
I'm a little late to this discussion, but has anyone else tried irTrans? I purchased one a while ago and I'm just now getting it all set-up and so far it looks like a good option for IR control. I'm using the "IRTrans Ethernet" module which is basically a small network IR blaster. I have it hooked up to an airport express I wasn't using. One nice feature, you can use an http interface to send commands, similar sending them to vera.  (so a simple little qt UI should be able to do both...and hopefully will soon.)

here is a link if anyone else is interested:
http://www.irtrans.de/en/shop/lan.php

Offline drzeller

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 09:54:43 am »
Last week we released and alpha version of the backbone ( you can control devices/scenes using upnp ), next week we should have an alpha version of the web interface too.

Out of curiosity, where was that announced?  Is it open to the public?  Documentation?

Thanks,
David

Offline micasaverde

• Administrator

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 11:06:58 am »
Just curious, do you pre-compile LUA code into bytecode to reduce memory footprint, or it's compiled run-time?

Offline micasaverde

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 12:54:46 pm »
It's compiled runtime.  The final code is actually merged together when the engine starts because it's possible to have several implementation files for the same device, and this can change dynamically based on user configuration.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 10:09:24 pm »
How do you guys plan to accept/evaluate/upload or otherwise make available the 3rd party plugins - what's the procedure?

Offline micasaverde

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 10:50:29 am »
For right now just email them to aaron [at] micasaverde.  I'll verify them and put them in the gallery.  We're going to do a self-submission web site when we have a chance, but since there's only a handful of plugins right now, I'll just do them by hand.

Offline Boyo

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 10:31:46 pm »
Is this gallery live?
Vera UI4 1.1.1183; Schalge Link Door Handle; HA18WD 3-Way/Single-Pole Switch x2; WDHA-12R - Wireless Gateway Module; Trane Thermostat; Retired: WDTC-20 - Z-Wave Enabled Thermostat

Offline micasaverde

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 11:22:31 am »
Yes.  It's in the latest Luup release already, and has plugins for the GC100, Somfy blinds, etc.  You choose Devices, Luup and it shows you the plugins you can add.  By the end of the week we'll have an official Luup release for the general public with some user-contributed plugins too.