Author Topic: Detecting battery level on Linear GD00Z device  (Read 483 times)

Offline drawbars

Detecting battery level on Linear GD00Z device
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:03:50 pm »
I have one installed and working.  However, the folks at Iris (and others?) say that they will report when the door sensor battery goes low, so there must be a node to read the level.  However, the installed UI7 device doesn't show a battery icon.  Anyone know how to do this?

Regards,
-BW

Online rafale77

Re: Detecting battery level on Linear GD00Z device
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 01:20:57 am »
Just poked my curiosity so I went I checked the zwave DB device class and it does not report any battery level over zwave, at least not according to vera so I don't see how that would be possible.
openLuup (96 devices, 122 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (133 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 200 devices, 34 scenes , 1 apps) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa

Offline drawbars

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:42:00 am »
Thanks for the reply.  Technically, Iris doesn't claim to report the battery level -- they claim to report when it's time to change the battery in the sensor:

The Model TILT 345 tilt sensor is powered by a 2032 lithium battery.  If the tilt sensor battery is low, it will be reported to the Iris hub by the Controller.

The GD00Z-3 (Nexia) and GD00Z-4 (GoControl) manuals have similar statements:

The system will notify you when the battery is low, replace the battery with a type CR2032 coin cell.

So, there must be *some* variable that changes when the CR2032 goes low/bad.  Based on the Iris document, I assumed that detection was by reading the battery level of the GD00Z itself, but maybe it's by detecting a lack of *any* door sensor value?  How does one go about poking Z-Wave devices to determine their node set?  (I'm a relative newbie to Z-Wave, but I have a design engineering background, so playing around doesn't scare me.)

________
FWIW, I have the GD00Z-1, linked to my Vera Plus as a "GD00Z-4."  I chose the Lowes model because they are available locally, and their price ($75) is the same or lower than comparable Linear, GoControl, etc. versions online.  (From what I can tell, all GD00Z models are the same inside -- other than the GD00Z-5, which seems to be the only one that is Z-Wave Plus.  They're all made by Nortek, and their installation manuals are pretty much identical.)

[RANT]
It's annoying that Lowes has chosen to market the GD00Z-1 as an 'Iris device,' but not a 'Z-Wave device.'  The install guide mentions the 'Z' word multiple times, but the Z-Wave logo is not on their box; and their tech support says (paraphrasing), "We don't know if this device will work with other Z-Wave networks.  You'd have to ask the manufacturer."
[/RANT]

Regards,
-BW

Online rafale77

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 08:23:17 pm »
If you install ALTUI, it has a ZwaveDB section which the vera UI hides and you can see all the information the device sends for configuration. I really have no idea how iris does it but I don't the battery zwave class from this sensor.
openLuup (96 devices, 122 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (133 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 200 devices, 34 scenes , 1 apps) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 08:48:48 pm »
From my system:

Value 74 Barrier Sensor Low Battery Warning

This is a value from the GD00Z-4 it comes from the Access Control Notification class

Online rafale77

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 08:50:13 pm »
Hmm interesting, I was looking for Value 80 which is the Battery level. So there is a warning sensor vera is not using.

Edit: just looked at mine and no it does not have it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:51:54 pm by rafale77 »

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 11:22:00 pm »
Hmm interesting, I was looking for Value 80 which is the Battery level. So there is a warning sensor vera is not using.

Edit: just looked at mine and no it does not have it.

That 74 may not be the z-wave parameter.  Just the value association I have with it.  BTW I'm not pulling this from a Vera but the z-wave class information is supposed to be the same.

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 11:41:21 pm »
Check the Group Associations as well. Vera is never simple when you try to diagnose these problems, if all else fails you can open a ticket with CS and have them look into it.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline drawbars

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 07:13:07 pm »
I contacted Nortek today, the folks who make all the GD00Z devices (Linear, 2Gig, GoControl, Nutone, Nexia, and Iris).  The support tech that I spoke to confirmed that the device parameter that Vera needs to detect is Value 74 Barrier Sensor Low Battery Warning.  I asked him for a little more info, and he was wasn't very forthcoming -- couldn't tell if it was a communication issue on my part, or info that he couldn't or wouldn't communicate.  He did provide me with a toll-free number for Vera to contact them at the vendor level.

I think I'm going to open a ticket with Vera CS and see if I can prod them into implementing this feature, perhaps as a battery icon?

Thanks for the help from this group!

Regards,
-BW

Offline drawbars

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:53:18 pm »
Umm ... OK, how does one submit a ticket to Vera CS?  I tried to log onto the Vera Support site, and it would seem that I'm not registered there.  Then I see this:

Vera Support does not offer self-registration. Please contact your company representative for further information.

So it would seem that I'm not registered with Vera Support, and I can't register myself, either.   >:(

Thoughts?

Regards,
-BW

Offline HSD99

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 09:41:08 am »
Umm ... OK, how does one submit a ticket to Vera CS?  I tried to log onto the Vera Support site, and it would seem that I'm not registered there.  Then I see this:

Vera Support does not offer self-registration. Please contact your company representative for further information.

So it would seem that I'm not registered with Vera Support, and I can't register myself, either.   >:(

Thoughts?

Regards,
-BW
That sounds like a support site for Vera partners. In the Vera UI, got to Settings ---> Customer Care. All of your contact options will be listed. Many folks find a phone call to be faster than email. Customer Care is generally excellent.

Offline drawbars

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 09:44:05 am »
Thanks.  I called them, and they gave me an email address to send everything.  Hopefully, the feature will be in place before the battery runs dead.   ;)