Author Topic: Alternatives to Weather Underground plugin?  (Read 970 times)

Offline Scoutmedic

Alternatives to Weather Underground plugin?
« on: May 27, 2018, 10:55:34 am »
Are there any good alternatives to the Weather Underground weather plugin?

Offline johnes

Re: Alternatives to Weather Underground plugin?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:23:51 pm »
Came here to ask the same thing... so Weatherunderground is no longer an option it seems...

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:54:03 pm »
DarkSky Weather (also available from the AltAppStore)

openWeather (ditto)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:57:02 pm by akbooer »
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline jswim788

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 02:34:13 pm »
Might be possible to use OpenWeatherMap: https://openweathermap.org/price - but you'd have to update a plugin to access it.

Doesn't openWeather also use WeatherUnderground?  Can't really use it for the same reason then.

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »
Doesn't openWeather also use WeatherUnderground?  Can't really use it for the same reason then.

Ah, well spotted.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline jlind

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 03:44:24 pm »
Using darksky is relatively easy.  You could create a few virtual devices and just update them with a scene or run a schedule to update them using LUA.  Here's some code that loops through darksky's API and builds a string:

Code: [Select]
local strEmailSubject = "Test"
local strEmailBody = "Test: "
local strAddress = 'https://api.darksky.net/forecast/[insert free key]/[insert longitude/lattitude here]'..'?exclude=hourly,minutely,alerts,flags'

local status, result = luup.inet.wget(strAddress,5)

local function jsonLoop(pIndex, ptblTest)
    strEmailBody = strEmailBody.."\n\nLooping through table index:"..tostring(pIndex).."...\n"
    for Index, Value in pairs(ptblTest) do
        if (tostring(type(Value)) == "table") then
            jsonLoop(Index, Value)
        else
            if(string.find(tostring(Index), "Time") == nil and string.find(tostring(Index), "time") == nil) then
                strEmailBody = strEmailBody..tostring(Index)..":"..tostring(Value).."\n"
            else
                strEmailBody = strEmailBody..tostring(Index)..":"..os.date("%m/%d/%Y %X",tonumber(Value)).."\n"
            end
        end
    end
end

local tblAPIResult = MyJson.decode (result)
jsonLoop('Root', tblAPIResult)

strEmailBody = strEmailBody.."\n\n"
strEmailBody = strEmailBody.."\n".."CurrentTemp: "..tostring(tblAPIResult["currently"]["temperature"])
strEmailBody = strEmailBody.."\n".."HighTemp: "..tostring(tblAPIResult["daily"]["data"][1]["apparentTemperatureHigh"])
strEmailBody = strEmailBody.."\n".."LowTemp: "..tostring(tblAPIResult["daily"]["data"][1]["apparentTemperatureLow"])
strEmailBody = strEmailBody.."\n".."Humidity: "..tostring(tblAPIResult["currently"]["humidity"])
strEmailBody = strEmailBody.."\n".."TomorrowsHighTemp: "..tostring(tblAPIResult["daily"]["data"][2]["apparentTemperatureHigh"])
strEmailBody = strEmailBody.."\n".."TomorrowsLowTemp: "..tostring(tblAPIResult["daily"]["data"][2]["apparentTemperatureLow"])

This should lead you in the right direction if someone doesn't stepup to write a new plugin.  I can't believe that WeatherUnderground (i.e. IBM) would do this type of thing.  Hopefully everyone shuts off their weather stations that are linked to them.
VeraLite/VeraPlus with UI7, Multiple GE switches, GE Outlets, Aeon Smart Switches, Minimote, GE Portable outlets  Apps: (Pentair Autelis Plugin, Weather Underground, Honeywell WiFi Thermo, System Monitor, AlternateUI)

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 05:15:45 pm »
I use OpenWeather with my SiteSensor plugin. It's not a complete solution (no fancy UI with icons, etc.), but if you just need to retrieve values and react to them (temp, humidity, etc.) it's adequate. It can be a reliable workaround until someone (!) writes a new plugin.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:59:56 pm by rigpapa »
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline johnes

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 06:21:22 pm »
DarkSky Weather (also available from the AltAppStore)

openWeather (ditto)

AltUI is too huge to fit on my VeraPlus so I don't have it installed anymore.

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 06:42:44 pm »
It should not need AltUI to run.

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 12:20:47 pm »
This change from WU is incredibly frustrating. I plan to shut off my data to them as soon as I can.    I purchased a specific  Ambient weather station because of its native integration with WU as part of my integration of weather in to my automation logic. Another good reminder of the risk of being dependent on cloud services for Home Automation.   From my perspective, there seems to be a few options.

The DarkSky plugin and its accuracy seems like a good backup until a more permanent solution is developed that can again integrate our PWS. Seems to run well after installing with AltUI.

For using PWS-
Aeris:
Uploading to an alternative cloud service such as Aeris (pwsweather.com) that provides an API could be a drop in alternative, but  it's free developer level account requires some sort of renewal every 2 months apparently.

AmbientWeather -   https://ambientweather.docs.apiary.io/#
Free service that includes an API that roughly looks similar to WU. Latest firmware for Ambient stations included support to their service as they must have known the WU service was ending.   If you do not have an Ambient station,  a Meteobridge can be used with many stations to upload to their service as well as MANY others.

Meteobridge - http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home
Alt firmware for TPLink micro routers that supports many PWS models and a ton of different PWS cloud services.  It also provides a simple HTTP XML call, however I suspect this would require more effort to create a new plugin than just slightly modifying the existing OpenWeather plugin.

2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline timtownsend

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 01:57:42 pm »
I have an OpenSprinkler sprinkler controller, and they are in the same boat with Weather Underground removing free access. Comments in the forums indicate they are switching to OpenWeatherMap.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 01:46:32 pm »
I've published the recipe for retrieving current weather from OpenWeatherMap.org using the SiteSensor plugin: https://www.toggledbits.com/sitesensor
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline 4Crawler

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 11:51:58 pm »
I've published the recipe for retrieving current weather from OpenWeatherMap.org using the SiteSensor plugin: https://www.toggledbits.com/sitesensor

Thanks for that, it works quite well.  Now I need to go through the API and see if I can extract the weather forecast data I use.  It looks like the data can be read into the PLEG device with no issues.

Offline 4Crawler

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 01:31:49 am »
It looks as if I need to use a separate URL query to get weather forecast data vs. current weather data using a separate API key.  Am I seeing this correctly?  And if so, how do I go about doing that?  It looks like I use the SiteSensor App page and "create another", then configure that instance with the forecast API key.

Also, I did find out that PLEG can see the SiteSensor device data.  You can get access to Value1 ... Value8.  So using the two together will require keeping track of what data is being requested in each of the 8 numbered expressions.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 07:35:37 am »
It looks as if I need to use a separate URL query to get weather forecast data vs. current weather data using a separate API key.  Am I seeing this correctly?  And if so, how do I go about doing that?  It looks like I use the SiteSensor App page and "create another", then configure that instance with the forecast API key.

Separate URL is correct, and your procedure for a new SiteSensor instance/device is also correct. I'm not sure on the separate API key. I would try the one you have first.