Author Topic: Alert when device is lost/disconnected  (Read 2285 times)

Offline cw-kid

Re: Alert when device is lost/disconnected
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »
So it won't email me ? I have added my mobile number previously, but I am in the UK so might not even get SMS message from Vera.

I generally use the 3rd party "Vera Alerts" and never bothered with Vera's own inbuilt notification stuff.

Offline cw-kid

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 01:54:11 pm »
I just got an email and an sms message from Vera LOL

Device:Front Garden LEDs (#84) in Front Garden is offline. alert: #16418684031, serial #. 2018-06-13 17:51:18

So it does seem to work after all. That Plug in the UI7 GUI now says "Can't Detect Device" with a red banner.

Offline fje

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 02:07:49 pm »
You should get push message when your controller is down, and a text message if you configured your phone number (remember there is daily limit for text messages).
I don't think immediate response is good as you probably don't want to be flooded with error messages if for example your power went down for a couple of minutes.

Wysłane z mojego Lenovo K53a48 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Thanks for your answer. Let me go point by point.

I DO NOT get a push message when my controller is down, this is why I am concerned. A text message is received, but the daily limit may (and it does) cut it.

If I am using this devices for security alarms, I will not care if I get alarms for power cut at all. It could be also a alert that someone is cutting it. I understand that some places could have that problem, this could be configurable by the user in those cases.

Regards.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 04:44:06 pm »
So it won't email me ?

It should work as push message. I disabled e-mail notifications long time ago to avoid doubling them with push notifications so I siply forgotten of its existence (I use standard Vera service and it works well for me).

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:25:15 pm by kwieto »

Offline kwieto

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »
I DO NOT get a push message when my controller is down, this is why I am concerned.

You should, as it is sent by Vera servers when they can't reach the controller.

If I am using this devices for security alarms, I will not care if I get alarms for power cut at all. It could be also a alert that someone is cutting it.

For that purpose battery operated devices are designed. They usually have tamper switches (one or more, depending on the design), firing alarm if someone try to tweak with them. And of course your router and controller should be on UPS, to be able processing the alert from device and act accordingly, i.e. fire (battery backuped) siren.

I wouldn't rely on any security system which is not working in case of power failure.

Offline fje

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 06:00:45 pm »
Again, I don't know why, but when the controller is down (offline by itself, for instance) or when one of the sensor is not responding (I took out the battery), I don't get any push alarm.

Maybe you refer to an SMS message, but due to the daily limit, I don't get them.

For push alerts I am using VeraAlerts plugging and Pushover and when a sensor detects movement, for instance, I get the push alert, but in the other cases (controller offline or device not reachable), I do not get any sound alert in my smartphone, even I have the Vera App in my phone defined for giving notifications and for execute with the screen off.

If I look to my smartphone, sometimes I could see a Vera Icon in the notification area, but no alert, no sound before that would alert me that such alert came.

regards.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 03:13:43 am »
Again, I don't know why, but when the controller is down (offline by itself, for instance) or when one of the sensor is not responding (I took out the battery), I don't get any push alarm.

Check your notification settings in Vera. For sure you should receive notification when controller is down. It takes couple of minutes, but shouldn't be longer than 5 minutes to get an offline alert.
For devices it is more tricky, as it depends on polling/wakeup settings. Battery operated devices have longer time to respond here, and it can take couple of hours to get information that they are offline.
This is why most (all?) security sensors, like door/window, motion, smoke, etc. have tamper switches, which send alert message immediately i.e. when device's cover is opened.
Since they do send low battery alerts as well, there is little chance that you leave your device offline for couple of hours by accident.

For push alerts I am using VeraAlerts plugging and Pushover

I don't use VeraAlerts, so I won't be help here. I used services like Pushover (Pushalot and Pushbullet) in the past but not for Vera (I used them for IFTTT), and don't have good experiences. The main issue was that notifications sometimes worked, sometimes not, sometimes with long delays.
I blamed specific apps for the troubles (I used 3-rd party apps for those services), but it might be that it is just how these services behave, I don't know.

If I look to my smartphone, sometimes I could see a Vera Icon in the notification area, but no alert, no sound before that would alert me that such alert came.

Then maybe you have sounds/alerts disabled for Vera app in your notification center?

Offline Paulb4333

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 08:22:52 am »
Hi,
This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but with the help of some other posters, my system and reporting is working better.
I have several devices that "fail" periodically. Manually turning them on or off usually fixes them.
-A suggestion was made to send a periodic "on" command to the devices e.g. every 30 minutes. That seems to work for some devices. I'm experimenting with the intervals.
-I had times, especially it seems when I was away, when the Vera became unresponsive, and unavailable remotely. I purchased a cheap, battery backed up timer from Amazon that cycles my Vera at 4 AM. (I do the same for my modem, which has greatly improved its reliability too)
-I've installed the app "system monitor" which tells me when I've lost connectivity and when it then is "connected reliably". For whatever reason, I get a few disconnects a week.
Lastly, in trying to monitor the status of a freezer, a community member suggested I turn on a "smart power" switch at an interval and turn on notifications. In my tests, this sends me a text whenever that polled device does not report. It only seems to do it one time.
Hope this helps.

Offline fje

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:41 am »
Thanks to both of you that answerd. Now my answers:

To kwieto: All VERA notifications are marked to send notifications. And they seems to arrive to the VERA app in the smartphone, but no alarm in my phone, no sound, no notification in my phone.

To Paulb4333: Hoe that "system monitor" app/plugin works? Which way it will send the alert to my smartphone?

To both, I am now testing to use the "device tampered" alarm to see if it covers at least the possibility of manipulating or interfere the sensors.

Still to think about the "offline" of the controller.

Thanks again

Regards.

Javier

Offline Paulb4333

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 12:06:21 pm »
System monitor is a free app that gives you info about the CPU load and memory, shows log history (very useful), and system restart. It sends notification to whatever you have selected...email or text or both.
Useful tool!

Offline kwieto

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 01:58:28 pm »
To kwieto: All VERA notifications are marked to send notifications. And they seems to arrive to the VERA app in the smartphone, but no alarm in my phone, no sound, no notification in my phone.

Then check your phone settings.
If messages arrive to your phone, then they are sent and delivered. If your phone doesn't ring on arrival, it's not a problem of controller but phone or phone app settings. Maybe you have disabled sound and/or vibration for specific app?

Still to think about the "offline" of the controller.

Puti it on UPS, as well as your internet AP.
This way if somebody cut your power you will have more detailed information than just vague "controller offline" message.
And the controller will be able to trigger an alarm if needed.

Offline fje

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 05:28:48 pm »

If messages arrive to your phone, then they are sent and delivered. If your phone doesn't ring on arrival, it's not a problem of controller but phone or phone app settings. Maybe you have disabled sound and/or vibration for specific app?

As I said in some previous post, as far as I know my phone, VERA Mobile app is allowed for Notifications, allowed to work when screen is dark, and all Notifications in the phone are up and OK.

I still don't know why VERA is not producing any sound, and, by the way, if I open VERA mobile settings, I see the notifications menu, with notifications allowed, but nothing about sound to produce. On the other hand, PushOver HAS a particular menu for sounds. Or am I missing something in the VERA mobile app?

Regards.

Offline HSD99

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 06:07:08 pm »

As I said in some previous post, as far as I know my phone, VERA Mobile app is allowed for Notifications, allowed to work when screen is dark, and all Notifications in the phone are up and OK.

I still don't know why VERA is not producing any sound, and, by the way, if I open VERA mobile settings, I see the notifications menu, with notifications allowed, but nothing about sound to produce. On the other hand, PushOver HAS a particular menu for sounds. Or am I missing something in the VERA mobile app?

Regards.
Note that under "Vera"--->"Allow Notifications" are selections for "Sounds" and where alerts are to be shown.

Offline fje

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 02:33:07 am »
Note that under "Vera"--->"Allow Notifications" are selections for "Sounds" and where alerts are to be shown.

Hi, this is what I could expect, but it is not in my new Android phone. I go to "Applications", then select VERA Mobile, Notifications and there I can see "allow Notifications" and then "Priority View" and then "where the alerts should be shown".
But nothing about sounds  :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:34:55 am by fje »

Offline kwieto

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 06:50:25 am »
Go to the settings of your phone and find "notification center" (or something like that, I don't know exact English phrase).
Then choose apps and find settings for Vera app.
Probably you have enabled a setting where notifications from Vera app don't ring a sound or vibrate ("send unobtrusive notifications" or something like that).

You may also long press on a notification from vera app and then choose "more settings" to go to the same place.