Author Topic: Water consumption  (Read 826 times)

Offline shady.hamilton

Water consumption
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:07:37 am »
Dear All,

anybody has a solution to measure water consumption please?

thank you,

Shady

Online AndrewM

Re: Water consumption
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:36:48 am »
Shady,

You could take a look at the flow meter from Fortrezz, it would do what you want. It is available from Amazon, etc.

Andrew

Offline jswim788

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:50:11 am »
You could take a look at the flow meter from Fortrezz, it would do what you want. It is available from Amazon, etc.
Look for posts by leedavidr: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,49014.msg323752.html#msg323752 - there may be some issues with this device and Vera.  However, there is apparently a new plugin, so maybe it is better: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,84385.msg387751.html#msg387751

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:51:50 am »
Hello Andrew,

I know that Fortrezz is not supported by Vera nor Fibaro and cant work with them,  have you tried it or you know somebody who did please?

Offline JohnRob

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:13:11 pm »
@shady.hamilton

I realize what I'm am about to suggest is likely much more complex than you were hoping for however it will fill you needs.

Look at:  MySensors.org

It is a hobby solution designed for sensors to talk to a host controller (in this case Vera)
It requires one to program an Arduino
The software for the system is open source and well supported by the forum.  The only programming is to interface with your sensor.

It isn't a Plug-n-Play solution
It requires building some hardware (although you can purchase nearly all the components).

And most of all it will work for the Fortrezz.

Good luck.

Offline jswim788

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 12:21:20 pm »
And most of all it will work for the Fortrezz.
Curious about this - how do you get the mysensors to work with the Fortrezz meter?  How does it interface to it?  Or did you mean work with Vera?

Offline JohnRob

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 12:43:10 pm »
I was about to edit my post as I forgot something that would clarify MySensors.

MySensors DOES NOT USE Z-Wave.

My system consists of

A gateway.  In my case a small box connected to my router.  It includes a 915Mhz radio

A node, it connects to your sensor via some sort of wiring.  It includes a radio to talk to the gateway.

I posted my initial expereince here:  https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/9003/my-first-mysensors-project  (sorry its not a hyperlink, my forum editor seems to be not allowing me to do any formatting.

My guess MySensors would be a lot of effort for just the flow meter, however once setup, you can add nodes for nearly anything you could measure with an Arduino.

I had unintentially omitted the part where to interface with the Fortrezz one would have to find an internal signal to connect to the arduino.

Online AndrewM

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 05:42:17 pm »
Hello Andrew,

I know that Fortrezz is not supported by Vera nor Fibaro and cant work with them,  have you tried it or you know somebody who did please?

I am sorry, that is news to me, actually I am using one at my rental cottage but its connected to my SmartThings hub and it is working fine and reporting flow rates to the ST app. I actually use 3 Vera's but got a ST hub when I was having issues with a VeraPlus. I was planning to swop the ST hub this month out for a Vera Secure, that is not looking like such a good plan right now!

Andrew

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 07:16:25 pm »
Fortrezz support says that there is a working plugin for vera with limited functionality..... i am wondering if anybody tried it here?

Offline jswim788

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 08:14:11 pm »
Fortrezz support says that there is a working plugin for vera with limited functionality..... i am wondering if anybody tried it here?
See these 2 posts from leedavidr.  The first one didn't go well, but maybe the new plugin is better:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,49014.msg323752.html#msg323752
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,84385.msg387751.html#msg387751

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 09:50:27 pm »
Fortrezz assures me that new plug in that they had developed does give some basic functionality.  I still have the flow meter installed but will not try it out until fall when I return to that residence.

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 05:45:51 am »
Thank you all for your input, so hopefully we are all waiting for leedavidr to try it so we can know if all is working fine....

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 07:44:47 am »
Talk about the blind leading the blind....  If you're waiting for me to figure it out, you're definitely in trouble.

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 08:00:12 am »
If a the blind is your best bet, then you have no choice :)

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 12:45:22 pm »
I will just say I received assurance directly from Fortrezz and the guy they hired to develop that new plugin (third party I assume)that it does give some basic functionality to the Fortrezz water meter, though not as good as that seen with the SmartThings controller.