Author Topic: Water consumption  (Read 1461 times)

Offline shady.hamilton

Re: Water consumption
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 02:09:42 am »
May we know what info we get with vera and what do we get extra with smart things please?

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 08:28:43 am »
Here is the email I received from Fortrezz after spotting the plug in on Vera, noting that it was "updated" in October 2017.  I purchased my Fortrezz flow meter in June 2017 and had both it and a Fortrezz water control valve installed that month.  While the water control valve was functional with flood detection sensors placed around the house near water sources, I personally and even with Vera tech support help could not gain any functionality with that device.  I had previously tried a plug in on Vera for the flow meter that bricked my controller (Vera Plus) which the techs were able to restore.

Email:

Hey David, that is an app (refers to the app update October 2017 on Vera) for the FMI that we recommend and have had custom made for the Vera controllers. It is designed to give you very basic functionality and reading such as GMP, graphical data, and temperature. It does not have the rules or SmartApps that are present within SmartThings and Homeseer for the FMI. However, it is still a work in progress for now. You can expect addition improvements in the future, if there are more users willing to use the app.

Kenneth

Fortrezz signature which I was unable to copy over to this forum
(FortrezZ Sales & Technical Support/www.fortrezz.com/ T: (704)940-0118/ Your home is your FortrezZ)

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 09:26:38 am »
So we can read consumption but we cant create rules or scenes based on that?

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 09:40:20 am »
So we can read consumption but we cant create rules or scenes based on that?

That isn't my interpretation of that message.  I think you can create scenes based on those readings in Vera; at least I hope that is true because otherwise the flow meter is pretty much useless for me.  There is some possibility that we will visit that house in late August or September but I won't know for sure until then.  I will reply to the above message that I received from Fortrezz and try to get clarification from them on being able to create scenes using the data that the device will obtain with Vera.  I would very much like to use the  "too long of flow" and too high of a flow rate to be able to turn my z wave controllable water valve off.  If that isn't possible, then all the meter would provide is data on water consumption which many people might like but isn't why I bought and installed it.  I wanted to know if I had a water leak somewhere--be it a slow leak for a long time or a high flow rate leak.

Offline Paulb4333

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 06:02:42 pm »
I am not sure how this would link to Vera, but it would be great to have the data.
A company called badgermeter (badgermeter.com) has been implementing cell based water meters across the country. Essentially,  water consumption is captured every 15 minutes and exposed users via a website and an app.
(eyesonwater.com) and appstore eyesonwater.
Data for whatever period desired can be downloaded via a CSV file and imported into a spreadsheet.  I have no affiliation with the company, but think this data and information is amazing. It is so detailed that, for example, I can see how much water is being used by sprinkler zone.
Maybe there is a way to integrate with an API??
Check with your water company and ask if they have plans to use the "beacon system" any time soon.
I've only had it for a few weeks and it has already been very useful.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:44:44 am by Paulb4333 »

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 12:22:56 pm »
Response from FortrezZ about the functionality of the newly developed plug in with their water meter:

"At the moment it you cannot use the scenes to activate the water shut-off based on flow or no flow. This is something that is on the list of improvements for the future. However, I cannot say when this will be."

So Shady was correct in his assessment of the functionality of the plugin with the meter on Vera.  So that kinda sucks for me as I still won't be able to use the meter to detect possible leaks and then shut off a separate zwave controllable water valve, which was the initial reason I purchased the meter.  Hopefully FortrezZ will continue to update the plugin for Vera.

Offline jswim788

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 12:28:02 pm »
That is goofy.  If the water meter is reporting a value, then it must show up in a variable.  And once it is an a variable, you can certainly use scenes to act on it.  This will require a bit of Lua code.  Maybe that's what they mean - it doesn't support native triggers.  But as long as you can get the raw data you should be able to use it.  Worst case is a variable watch to do something.

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 03:35:38 pm »
I agree. If I could write code or use PLEG, I think it could work.  Haven't used either of those but perhaps I will tackle that next fall when I am back at that location, download their plugin, and exclude and re-include the flow meter.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 03:55:46 pm »
I agree. If I could write code or use PLEG, I think it could work.  Haven't used either of those but perhaps I will tackle that next fall when I am back at that location, download their plugin, and exclude and re-include the flow meter.

Still following along to see how this goes.  ;D

Offline hellovn

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 06:50:44 pm »
Ouch.. I just ordered a Fortrezz water flow but it seems this device did not get fully support in Vera :( :(

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 07:58:07 pm »
Failure to support new devices, even ones that have been out quite some time, seems to be an ongoing issue... Too bad really, MCV used to be a big name in consumer home automation devices.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 12:06:31 pm »
Ouch.. I just ordered a Fortrezz water flow but it seems this device did not get fully support in Vera :( :(

are you talking with fortrezz on this? I heard there was a plungin now?

Offline hellovn

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 03:51:17 pm »

are you talking with fortrezz on this? I heard there was a plungin now?

I have installed the new plugin and it seems to be working fine. It also creates a new device for water temperature. A plumber will come to install the meter this Thursday. I will report back if the water flow level is correct or not.

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 07:34:43 am »
Good to know that the new plug in works.  I had already installed the Fortrezz flow meter in June 2017 along with the Fortrezz shut off valve.  The latter works fine but I could not obtain any functionality out of the flow meter and was basically told a new plug in would need to be developed, which apparently Fortrezz facilitated.  If you followed the earlier parts of this thread, the new plug in doesn't give the same level of functionality that one obtains with SmartThings and Home Seer but it should give one gpm and gallons used over time kind of data.  I wanted it to tell the shut off valve to shut off the water when the flow rate was high for over 30 minutes consecutively and detect slow leaks over a longer period of time.  That still may be possible with some LUA or PLEG programming.  Unfortunately, I will be unable to address this issue until we return to our secondary residence this fall.