Author Topic: VeraPlus Firmware update Odyssey (updated)  (Read 513 times)

Offline JohnRob

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 245
  • Karma: +12/-4
VeraPlus Firmware update Odyssey (updated)
« on: June 01, 2018, 06:30:09 pm »
I just updated my VeraPlus from 1.7.3532 to 1.7.3831.   I've not had trouble updating in the past and I have a modest number of devices (all Z-Wave) so I figured I'm good.

So, I backed up the config and Z-Wave,   opened Vera webpage directly (not through MIOS) and clicked "UPDATE".   Went about my business for about 30 minutes.

when I came back the screen showed  " I took longer than expected to restart(?) the LUA engine.  At this point only the 2 lefthand leds were lit.

Here is the "blow by blow" of how I proceeded:


 - No login possible.
 - Cycled power,  now only the power LED was on.
 - Wrote an eMail to Vera CS
 - Checked the Vera LED's some time later and all LED's were on!
 - I could log into my VeraPlus direct, it acted like this was an new 1st time installation.
 - Somewhere in this process the Vera had to update the firmware but I don't recall exactly where.
 - MIOS login had forgotten my VeraPlus Name and I had to re-enter SOME of my basic information.

 - At this point I had only part of my devices, no scenes and some of the device names were lost.   I figured a corrupt configuration.
 - I did a factory reset from the GUI.


 - I then restored my configuration and Z-Wave network from my backup.

 - Now all works fine :)

Interesting observation:
Before updating I read many folks expereinced a low memory fault and could not update.  So before updating I SSH in and ran df -h.   I did NOT change anything on the Vera.


root@MiOS_500xxxxx:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                       8.6M      6.3M      2.4M  73% /
/dev/root                10.0M     10.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    124.8M      3.8M    121.0M   3% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock7        8.6M      6.3M      2.4M  73% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay     8.6M      6.3M      2.4M  73% /
tmpfs                    512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock10     50.0M     11.3M     38.7M  23% /storage
/dev/mtdblock10     50.0M     11.3M     38.7M  23% /etc/cmh-firmware
/dev/mtdblock10     50.0M     11.3M     38.7M  23% /etc/cmh-backup
/dev/mtdblock9         9.8M      9.8M         0 100% /mios

/dev/sda1                 3.7G      1.5M      3.7G   0% /datamine   <-- External USB for datamine only
root@MiOS_500xxxxx:~#

After the update the memory status was nearly identical.

Hope this helps someone.


UPDATE:  After more investigation I found at least two scenes were lost in the process.  They were the last to be added.









« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:28:31 pm by JohnRob »