Author Topic: New Alarm or Vera security???  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Adriana1

New Alarm or Vera security???
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:17:22 am »
Hi All
I already have a Vera Plus  and will be using this to control lighting and sockets etc.
I am about to install a separate security alarm system- probably a Texecom!! Just thinking if I would do better to buy the new Vera security Plus system?? I know this has a sounder and battery back up, I am not sure what other features it can offer over and above a separate alarm system like the Texecom

Any help gladly welcome

Adrian

Offline rafale77

Re: New Alarm or Vera security???
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 11:27:48 am »
The vera is probably amongst the worst security you could get. It's extremely unreliable and the word "secure" is a joke in itself. It has issues with secure pairing of devices and does not have local security.
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:51:13 pm »
If you want an alarm system, get an alarm system. Get something that is UL listed as a security system. UL listings arent everything but it is a bar for basic functionality.

Offline peterxbmc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:25:42 am »
+1 on a dedicated security security alarm panel. You could choose a panel that has a plugin that will interface with Vera so you have the best of both worlds. Do not entrust Vera to exclusively protect you in the event of theft or fire.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:37:55 am »
There's an old adage, "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." The Vera world is a shining example. The Vera is not the answer for every problem, and security should probably be at the top of the list, not because Vera couldn't be great, but because the competition is already lightyears ahead: purpose-built to the task, decades of engineering and experience built-in, and millions of units successfully deployed.

I would avoid SimpliSafe and its kin for the same reasons.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline Adriana1

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 02:35:54 pm »
Thanks a lot for the input- I suspected as much so will be looking at the Texecom system and hopefully integrate this into the Vera system

Thanks again for your replies it helps a lot

Offline wilme2

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 03:44:19 pm »
Thanks a lot for the input- I suspected as much so will be looking at the Texecom system and hopefully integrate this into the Vera system

I agree with a stand-alone alarm system - but (bizarrely negating what I just said) make SURE it will happily integrate with Vera (and hopefully other popular HA systems).  I don't see Alarm to HA integration as a "hopefully" - IMHO it is crucial to getting the most out of HA... 

The first thing you can do to make your HA investment start to pay off is to alter climate settings when you are away from the house.  While there are other ways to determine occupancy, none is as fool-proof as being able to tell the alarm is on and set to "Away"...  And being able to use each alarm sensor as part of Vera logic - that is very important.  Why have two sets of window sensors on a window when one will go nicely?

If there is a Vera plug-in for the alarm system you are considering, I would read those forums to understand functionality...

Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline Adriana1

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 05:02:25 am »
Yes thats great advice
Is there a forum that will have the compatibility details of alarm systems that will work with Vera Plus??
I know Texecom uses z wave for the wireless periodicals but unsure if they are compatible with Vera

Hadn?t thought of the option of using Alarm sensors with Vera
Thanks for the pointers

I have the kit, put in the wiring infrastructure but just need to make the start needed to wire it all up and go through the config procedures
Must take the plunge!!!!!
Adrian

Offline wilme2

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:41:04 pm »
Is there a forum that will have the compatibility details of alarm systems that will work with Vera Plus??

No official support from Vera - all alarm system integration is via plug-ins written by forum members.  So you will need to search this forum. 

The DSC alarm panel is probably the most popular here, followed by Vista, but I did a search on "Texecom" and found a thread related to a plug-in.  You will likely want to ask questions on that thread if you don't find what you want when searching...
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline Adriana1

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 03:11:46 pm »
Thanks for that I will check it out on the forum
Adrian

Offline peterxbmc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 07:24:41 pm »
Using the Concord 4 panel and the relevant plugin. Works fine and provides a source of cheap sensors that integrate nicely with Vera as well as an alarm notification system. It's RS232 to USB connected so it might be worth your while researching it on the forum here to evaluate its use.

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:09 pm »
Oh my gosh, at this point in time Vera is struggling with home automation... don't even think of having it manage your security!!!

As others have said, use a dedicated security system and then interface it to your HA platform of choice.

Offline rroonnbb

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 07:09:37 pm »
I agree that having an alarm system that integrates nicely with Vera would be great, but how's that work if they're both trying to use the same z-wave door sensors?  Does using an alarm system with z-wave sensors (something like Abode, or even the new Ring security stuff) mean that I can no longer have Vera get status on those doors/windows?