We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Two button Leviton scene/zone wall switch, no dimming?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline rlmalisz

Two button Leviton scene/zone wall switch, no dimming?
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:45:50 pm »
In our garage, we have one large bank of fluorescent lights controlled by one switch, and a smaller "over bench" fixture controlled by another.  I'm having a sparky out next week to fix a bunch of other stuff, and to price getting neutrals into these two switchboxes for us.  The switch for the bench light is in a fairly inconvenient place, and what would be ideal would be to replace the switch for the main lights with a two-button switch, and have one button control the local load (the main lights) and teach it to control the other switch on its second button.

I know the Leviton two-buttons can't dim the local load, and that's fine, as long as it wouldn't choke on driving fluorescents.  But will it be unhappy about controlling a second light switch that's not dimmable?  Or does someone make a two-banger for two non-dimming loads?

--Richard

Offline Double J

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Two button Leviton scene/zone wall switch, no dimming?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:55 pm »
If I understand you correct, you'd simply be creating a scene to control your 2nd inconvenient z-wave benchlight switch?! Therefore, no worry about it being unhappy.

I have this switch, but don't use this one for fluorescents.. but I do run 8-4' t8 bulbs in my garage and 4-4' with 6-3' t8 bulbs in my basement off of Leviton switches without issue. I was worried when I wired them up, but it's been over a year without issue on both of these switches.

Although, since your sparky is going to be out there, get him to install another single gang box next to your other one. 2 switches are cheaper than that single one, they're easier to set up and you can just use the 2nd switch as your scene controller?! Just a thought...
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan