Author Topic: Adding z-wave capability to a wired doorbell  (Read 276 times)

Offline jmhitchcock

Adding z-wave capability to a wired doorbell
« on: June 11, 2018, 12:22:14 pm »
Are there any options so that I can limit when the actual chime will ring.  For example, during my kid's nap times, I would like to have it just notify my cell phone and not ring the chime? 

I've seen multiple tutorials on adding z-wave capabilities to an existing wired doorbell.  Most of these look to use a door/dry contact sensor, but these methods react to the doorbell being rung rather than intercepting the signal from the button and deciding whether to ring the chime or not. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline racarter

Re: Adding z-wave capability to a wired doorbell
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 04:18:03 pm »
It wouldn't be cheap, but you could use a Fibaro or similar Z-Wave switch module, wiring a set of volt-free contacts in series with the bell solenoid.
Indigo, Vera Edge (for Datamine only), Everspring and TKBHOME socket switches, SM103 door detectors, Homepro ZRP210 appliance modules, Fibaro relay switches, EZMotion, Heatmiser thermostats, Netatmo Weather, Camera and Healthy Home, Hikvision DVR/CCTV, Sonos, Texecom, Diax motorised deadlock.

Offline kigmatzomat

Re: Adding z-wave capability to a wired doorbell
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 11:53:00 pm »
Somewhere you have a transformer attached to a 110v outlet powering the chime. Put a zwave lamp module there and set up a scene schedule to disable/enable the module. You can get one from monoprice for @$20