Author Topic: Honeywell 5821 Flood Sensor, Loop 3  (Read 199 times)

Offline JoshMcMadMac

Honeywell 5821 Flood Sensor, Loop 3
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:43:09 am »
I have been chipping away at switching my existing system over to my new Verasecure. I have all of my 345Mhz sensors added in, but am struggling with the flood sensor. I am using a Honeywell 5821 temperature/water sensor, which should be the same as the 2GIG FT1-345 and that is how I added it.

However, it did not trip when the sensor got wet. I left the sensor monitored by my existing system as well, and that panel triggered when the sensor got wet (so I know that the sensor is reporting properly). I suspect this is because the sensor is dual-purpose. The temperature is monitored on "loop 1" and the water is monitored on "loop 3" of the same TXID. I have not yet gone through the trouble of removing the wiring so I can toss the sensor in the freezer to see if that triggers the sensor through Vera. Unfortunately I am not clever enough with the programming of all of this to even know where to start. Any guidance on how to get the flood sensor reporting properly would be greatly appreciated!

Offline JoshMcMadMac

Re: Honeywell 5821 Flood Sensor, Loop 3
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:49:10 am »
Does anyone have any experience with flood sensors? The Vera customer support was of no help.  :-\

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 01:32:18 pm »
I have 8 Fibaro FGFS-101 Gen5 flood sensors (which also have a temperature sensor associated with them. All were included using the same Fibaro flood sensor device and have worked perfectly.  When I pour water under one, it detects the liquid with an audible alarm and can shut off a Fortrezz water valve in a scene.

Funny story: my sister in law was taking a shower in the guest bath and I dropped a jar of spaghetti sauce n the kitchen next to the refrigerator.  The sensor there detected the "spill" and shut off the water to the entire house mid-shower.  My sister in law wasn't happy but I was able to turn the water on pretty quickly after disarming the sensor.

The only problem I had with these sensors is that they went through batteries every few months.  I was able to fix that problem by changing the polling time to every 3 hrs vs. every few minutes.

So this probably isn't much help for you with a different type of flood sensor, other than to say that some flood sensors work well.

BTW, the temperature sensors also seem to work well and I have a Vera Plus.

When my flood sensors were included onto my Vera Plus, a separate temperature device popped up which listed the flood sensor as the parent device.  The fact that yours are being included on the same device may mean that they are not being included correctly.  Have you tried to include these under a different flood sensor?  I don't see a generic flood sensor to try.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:56:46 pm by leedavidr »

Offline JoshMcMadMac

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 10:28:28 am »
I have 8 Fibaro FGFS-101 Gen5 flood sensors (which also have a temperature sensor associated with them. All were included using the same Fibaro flood sensor device and have worked perfectly.  When I pour water under one, it detects the liquid with an audible alarm and can shut off a Fortrezz water valve in a scene.

Funny story: my sister in law was taking a shower in the guest bath and I dropped a jar of spaghetti sauce n the kitchen next to the refrigerator.  The sensor there detected the "spill" and shut off the water to the entire house mid-shower.  My sister in law wasn't happy but I was able to turn the water on pretty quickly after disarming the sensor.

The only problem I had with these sensors is that they went through batteries every few months.  I was able to fix that problem by changing the polling time to every 3 hrs vs. every few minutes.

So this probably isn't much help for you with a different type of flood sensor, other than to say that some flood sensors work well.

BTW, the temperature sensors also seem to work well and I have a Vera Plus.

When my flood sensors were included onto my Vera Plus, a separate temperature device popped up which listed the flood sensor as the parent device.  The fact that yours are being included on the same device may mean that they are not being included correctly.  Have you tried to include these under a different flood sensor?  I don't see a generic flood sensor to try.

Thanks! Can you share what type of device they are registered as for you? Maybe I can change mine around to resolve my issue.