We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Alexa not detecting Virtual Switches  (Read 1150 times)

Offline dxxpublic

Alexa not detecting Virtual Switches
« on: June 16, 2018, 06:09:42 pm »
I have a vera edge with all my room lights and 2 scenes, one to turn on all the lights and one to turn em off with a Virtual Switch as a trigger.

From the Vera page where i select the items Amazon Alexa will have access to i dont see the virtual switch.

These are the steps ive done:

1. I have added the options to the D_VSwitch.xml luup file  (Attached)
<Category_Num>3</Category_Num>
<SubCategory_Num>0</SubCategory_Num>

2. Rebooted the vera

3. Checked versions
VERA -  1.7.3830
Virtual ON/OFF Switches v1.35

4. Checked advanced section on the device (File attached)

5. Waited for over 2 hours as other have mentioned the VS has appeared after a period of time

Anyone has any idea of what else can i do?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:13:09 pm by dxxpublic »

Offline dxxpublic

Re: Alexa not detecting Virtual Switches
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:31:11 pm »
I will autoreply

Ive uploaded this xml and after 10 minutes it appeared

Offline ranneman

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:14:57 am »
The virtual switch issue was discussed before. By now Alexa routines works. It might be easier to just use Alexa routine which triggers the scene. You do not need the virtual switch for that.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:16:52 am by ranneman »
Vera lite UI7 Europe, Vera Plus, Zwave.me switches/dimmers, Zwave.me plus multi switch, Fibaro switches and multi sensors, Everspring sensors motion, temp., humidity. Honeywell Evohome, Greenwave, Sonos, Brel shades, RFXCOM, MiLights, Alexa.

Offline Greybeardvacationrental

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:42:35 pm »
The virtual switch issue was discussed before. By now Alexa routines works. It might be easier to just use Alexa routine which triggers the scene. You do not need the virtual switch for that.

But a virtual switch can do so much more (layered tasks via scenes) than Alexa routines.  I'm trying to use a virtual switch as well but not sure how to get it to show up.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:25:53 pm »
I'm trying to use a virtual switch as well but not sure how to get it to show up.

One of the problems with the old Virtual Switch plugin is that it creates devices with its own device type, rather than a Vera-native device type for a binary switch. As a result, it isn't recognized as equivalent in many places (another common place is in the Android mobile app, where the switches are listed but not controllable).

Virtual Switch has other problems, so I've just created a re-imagined 2019 implementation of virtual switches in a new plugin I call Switchboard. It's not published in the Vera store yet, but you can get it here: https://github.com/toggledbits/Switchboard-Vera

I literally finished this thing a few minutes ago. Its switches may... SHOULD... work with Alexa, just like any other switch. I've already confirmed they work transparently in the Android app--full control.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Offline TechPigeon

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 11:17:25 pm »
You might like to try the guide i attached, however i made it quite a while ago so i'm not sure if its still compatible, you only need to do steps 1-11.

Offline timmy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 11:27:20 am »
Hi, thank you for sharing the guide I will try it too.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Appvalley TutuApp Tweakbox
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:59:26 pm by timmy »

Offline Greybeardvacationrental

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 02:42:06 pm »
I'm trying to use a virtual switch as well but not sure how to get it to show up.

One of the problems with the old Virtual Switch plugin is that it creates devices with its own device type, rather than a Vera-native device type for a binary switch. As a result, it isn't recognized as equivalent in many places (another common place is in the Android mobile app, where the switches are listed but not controllable).

Virtual Switch has other problems, so I've just created a re-imagined 2019 implementation of virtual switches in a new plugin I call Switchboard. It's not published in the Vera store yet, but you can get it here: https://github.com/toggledbits/Switchboard-Vera

I literally finished this thing a few minutes ago. Its switches may... SHOULD... work with Alexa, just like any other switch. I've already confirmed they work transparently in the Android app--full control.

TechPigeon's guide did not work for me but rigpapa's switchboard worked.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 02:06:29 pm »

Is there a separate thread for Switchboard?

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 02:56:27 pm »
Is there a separate thread for Switchboard?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,120149.0.html

Thanks!

Still working to figure out the Reactor and Emby Plugins but I'll check it out!