We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Nest plugin  (Read 8112 times)

Offline fred

• Sr. Newbie
Nest plugin
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:54:00 pm »
I saw the new Nest thermostat in the press and was thinking that it would be cool to have this kind of functionality with my Vera and the thermostats I've already installed.   It seems that a lot of the Nest functionality could be built with Vera connected thermostats and motion detectors.

For instance, last weekend my wife was at our ski cabin and I forgot to turn down the termostat for a couple days after she left.  It would be nice to have a scene that reduces the temp if there is no motion for a few hours and then reduces it further if there is no motion for over a day.   

How would you begin doing this?  Could the Vera do the learning or would it need some sort of offsite storage/computing?  I could imagine building an Pacube style API that would support this.  Maybe the Vera would just report certain events and then ask the API every once in a while if it should adjust the temp.  The learning could be done on the web service side instead of in the Vera.  I'm guessing this is what Nest does, but maybe it's all self contained....

Offline Tummy

Re: Nest plugin
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:16:44 pm »
I'm sure you can cobble scenes together to do the motion detect thing with Vera.  The schedule learning function might be difficult.

I removed our z-wave Trane thermostats and installed 4 Nest in our house a couple days ago.  I actually got two last month, but sold them for a quick profit on eBay.

Everything about the Nest is what I would have liked Vera to be.  The software is great, iPhone App works well, the hardware feels pretty high quality with a nice design, and support responds to my emails within 15 minutes.   Maybe Nest management is better and the company has better funding. 

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:27:48 pm »
Like Tummy said, the scene with no motion to lower the thermostat can be done with lua code. Yes, it will require you code. But I am sure if others find it valuable, someone can help with writing the code. This will obviously require motion sensors, either z-wave or if you have a compatible alarm panel integrated with Vera, that will work as well.

- Garrett

Offline davidsmoot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:34 am »

Everything about the Nest is what I would have liked Vera to be.  The software is great, iPhone App works well, the hardware feels pretty high quality with a nice design, and support responds to my emails within 15 minutes.   Maybe Nest management is better and the company has better funding.

Okay, old thread but I saw this researching Nest / Vera integration and I had to speak up.

The Nest is slick and polished apple style because it does one thing and does it well.  It is a thermostat.  It does not talk to other sensors or try to integrate with multiple devices across different protocols.  It is easy to do one thing well.  The less functions you have to polish, the less polish you have to do.

The Vera is a much more powerful and flexible tool that gives you many more capabilities and sensors.  And it does an outstanding job of exposing them to the user.  Yes there are bugs but I would rather have a powerful device with lots of options and bugs versus a slick device with limited choices.

Sort of an iphone vs. android debate.  Iphone is pretty but they don't let you access the bluetooth SPP devices.  Android lets me do what I want and I can live with the bugs.

David

Offline crgrimes

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 12:06:46 pm »
When I installed the nest plug-in, and tried to incorporate it into my vera lite, it asks me for a user name and password. What user name are they asking for?  The Vera lite?

Offline jmedemar

• Vera 3
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:08:19 pm »
It is the username and password you use to access your nest.com account.