Author Topic: Alternate Insteon implementation?  (Read 61061 times)

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
Re: Alternate Insteon implementation?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 12:24:43 pm »
Just a quick note to let interested people know that altsteon 0.03 is out.   If you are upgrading from prior versions, there are some files you may delete off your Vera to save some space.   The information on which files can be found in Readme.upgrade.

Because the sheer number of files involved is getting significant, I am also working on getting altsteon in the app store.  Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to install and get running.   If you are interested in helping me test the installation, PM me so that I know you are interested.

As usual, you can find the latest version here : http://www.geektaco.info/altsteon

The interesting changes in this version are :

- Fixed a bug where battery powered devices didn't work (Triggerlinc, Motion sensor, remotelinc, etc.)
- Added initial support for the new Fanlinc devices.
- Added support for controlling device options on relays, dimmers, and dimmer keypadlincs via the "Device Options" tab for a device.

Known issues :

- The keybeep option for keypadlincs doesn't work properly.
- The light control portion of the fanlinc may not show the correct state.  However, it can still be controlled.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline djras

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 03:51:25 pm »
I did get the Garage Door working with the Vera Lite. The VeraLite version uses UI5 also.

My wife has been bugging me to setup "proper" irrigation control for our desert landscaping (run the drip for an hour once a month (if it hasn't rained). No commercially available controller will allow programming at less than once per week rate. Sooooo... I am now looking at the EZFlora module and will definitely be interested in your work here.

I will try installing Altsteon soon and see how that goes.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 05:46:09 pm »
No commercially available controller will allow programming at less than once per week rate.
Etherrain and its Vera plugin should be able to do this!
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline fba

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 06:25:12 pm »
Hi djras -

Glad to hear you got that going!   I am currently in the process of working on the EzFlora component of Altsteon.   If I get time this weekend I will probably have the initial version completed by Monday.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline djras

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 09:25:31 am »
Etherrain and its Vera plugin should be able to do this!

Cool! I had not found this one. Not much more than EZFlora and already setup for Vera.

Thanks a bunch!
David

Offline mpovolo

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 09:25:39 am »
Hi,

So now that this has progressed a little, what's the easiest way to get this going.  I have a mac, vera 3, and PC, no linux box.

thanks

Offline fba

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:09 am »
The easiest way to get it going probably doesn't exist yet.   I am working on getting it in to the app store, which will ease the effort involved in installing all of the necessary files.   However, you can still install them manually.

With your setup, you have two options on where to run the daemon.  You can install it directly on the Vera, or run the Mac version that is included.   I have not done any real testing with the Mac version other than making sure it will run.  My ultimate goal is to get it running directly on the Vera.

If you run the daemon on a device other than the Vera, you should be able to set up and experiment without destroying any existing configuration you might have.  You would just need to move the PLM connection over to the Mac, start up the daemon, and add duplicate devices.   This is a good way to test drive things until you feel confident enough to cut over completely.  (At which point you would just disable the native Insteon support, and you'll be off and running.)

Offline worried_guy

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 05:20:28 am »
Hi. I've been watching this thread with some interest, given that I have many insteon devices, and a setup with vera 2 that works well enough that I vastly prefer it to my ISY, but is limited in all the ways inherant to the native implementation of insteon.

I have a question: Is anyone currently successfully running altsteon on the vera 3 itself? I've been thinking of getting a vera 3, and if having one would eliminate the need for a separate linux box to run the daemon, I think I'm going to take the plunge. (I have linux boxes around at home, but I'd rather not have my home control spread over more than one machine if I can help it.)

Thanks for all the awesome-sounding work. I am looking forward to giving this a try in one form or the other.

Offline fba

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 12:12:03 pm »
Hi worried_guy,

I believe the hardware on the Vera 2 is similar to the Vera 3.   You could probably run altsteon on your Vera 2 to do some testing and see if it will work for you.  However, you would have to break your existing configuration since the PLM gets pretty grumpy if two different programs are trying to talk to it at once.

My ultimate goal is to run everything on the Vera.   I currently run it external to the Vera primarily because it is easier to do development on a fully Linux box rather than having to cross-compile and upload new versions to the Vera.   Once I finish getting all of the devices I have implemented and tested, I'll probably move it over to the Vera as the bug fixing in the daemon should start to decrease a fair bit.

One got'cha that you will run in to running it directly on the Vera is there is currently no code to start the daemon when the Vera starts up.  So you manually need to start it if you reboot the Vera.   This is one (of many) places that things can be improved for ease of installation.  But, considering that I have only been working on adding this to the Vera for 2 months I think it works pretty well. ;)

Offline worried_guy

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »
Thanks for the response ... This is a bit of a theoretical question since I'll most likely buy a second vera to avoid the risk to my existing setup ...

If the main issue is contention for the PLM, is it possible to plug a second PLM into the vera and tell the daemon to talk to that? (My vera 2 has 2 usb ports.)

Also, re:starting the daemon on either vera 2 or vera 3... Is there something on the vera that would prevent me from just starting it from a script in /etc/init.d ?  (I haven't tried writing to that directory, so I'm not sure if there's something that prevents me from putting new stuff in there.)

Offline fba

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 03:38:38 pm »
I have never tried plugging two PLMs in to the Vera.   So, the answer to that question will depend on the behavior of the native implementation.  I would expect that the answer is that it would work fine, but the only way to know for sure is to try it.   However, the main issue is the contention for the PLM.

If you have two PLMs you can try it.   (Honestly, I thought I was the only one weird enough to have more than one. ;)   I would suspect that if you plug a second one in and it shows up as a regular serial port on the Vera that you would be good to go.  However, you will need to use the -p command line option to tell the daemon to look someplace other than /dev/ttyUSB0 for the PLM.   Eventually I want to have things running in such a way that all of this can be done through the Vera dashboard.  But, for now, you will have to do a little dance.  Also, you will want to make sure that your second PLM is an i2 device.  If you bought it in the last few years you should be good.  (There are some significant differences in how you speak to the older ones that I didn't bother supporting in Altsteon.)

I just sshed in to my Vera, and it seems that you can write to /etc/init.d.  I don't know if anything is done that would prevent the file from being there after a reboot as I didn't want to reboot mine.  But, that may be a workable solution.   However, I believe the way that MCV prefers stuff like this to be set up is to use the "Startup Lua" in the Apps->Develop Apps section.   My ultimate plan is to use this method for starting it.   I know there is at least one other plugin out there that does this.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Offline fba

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:12 pm »
In the past little bit there have been questions about running Altsteon directly on the Vera.   Over the weekend, I moved my 'production' configuration for Altsteon on to my Vera 3.

It appears that there is some difference between how the PLM's USB->Serial adapter is handled on the MIPS platform versus the x86 platform.  As a result, current releases of Altsteon running on the Vera may get in to a state where the serial port is no longer sending valid data to Altsteon.   Fortunately, this state is pretty easy to detect, so I have a workaround in place.   I'll be releasing a new version of Altsteon sometime in the next week to address this issue.  (As soon as I have had a chance to let the workaround bake for a while and make sure it behaves properly.)

Offline automag928

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »
After reading this entire thread, this looks pretty cool and even though I don't have a Vera yet - thanks for your hardwork!  I am considering purchasing the VeraLite and had a question as far as what is needed exactly to get this working.

Vera (obviously)
The Insteon PowerLinc Modem
Your App

So does the PLM plug into the Vera directly or plug into a PC on your home network? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 12:45:19 pm »
fba,

That is great news that you are able to get it to run directly onto the Vera. Keep up the great work.

- Garrett

Offline fba

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 04:14:34 pm »
automag928 -

You will need a PowerLinc Modem.  It shouldn't matter if it is the serial, USB or wireless one.  They all should work.  However, the serial one will need a USB->Serial adapter to work with the Vera.  (I don't think the Veralite has a serial port, but I am not sure as I am working on a Vera 3.)

You will also need modules to drive whatever devices you want to automate.  (Light switches, IR transmitters or receivers, power outlets, sensors, etc.)   In the next release I believe I will have basic support for the majority of the modules that you can purchase.   The IR transmitter and EZUIRT are the only two left on my list.

The PLM can plug in to the Vera directly, or in to another machine on the network.   Up until this last weekend I was running my PLM on an x86-64 machine that runs a bunch of other stuff in my house.   This last weekend I moved the PLM over to run on my Vera 3 and discovered some issues that seem to crop up after a few hours of running.   Right now, I believe that the issue I am seeing is a bug in the FTDI driver, but I have a workaround in place that seems to work fairly well.  (I'll have more on this when I do the next release.)   So, in a nutshell you can have either configuration.   The whole system uses a network connection for the communication.  That network connection can be a different machine, or the loopback address (127.0.0.1).

Right now, it looks like the next version will get released this weekend.   I have a couple of bugs I introduced when I was adding support for the light sensor on the 2420M that I need to squash first.