Author Topic: No, the grass is not greener on the other side.  (Read 3990 times)

Offline ninkasi

Re: No, the grass is not greener on the other side.
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2018, 09:58:05 pm »
FWIW ...and when I was using HS, I had a vm dedicated to running it (in my case using Virtualbox on a mac mini that also was used for our iTunes library, recording TV, and a few other things). One big advantage was I could simply shut it down and do a full copy of the vm so when I did something dumb and/or a windows update did something dumb, it was quick & easy to restore to a known running configuration. Didn't notice any performance or reliability issues running it this way either.
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 11:16:03 am »
Well I can report that Homeseer is officially off my list. I found it impossible to make it work on Debian so I installed it on Windows and it worked with the few devices I had included.... I then discovered that it is designed to run as a logged in user - there is no provision to run it as a service  ???.

I did my eval testing using a notebook running Debian 9 - and kept notes of exactly what I did, so feel free to contact me if I can provide any help.  My final setup on the Pi I also did manually using Rasbian Stretch and, like Debian, setting everything up myself - several times to be sure I had the whole process perfected.

I did do some experimentation in Windows - and yes I was horrified to find it doesn't run as a service on that platform, but thankfully I had no interest in running it permanently on Windows was just for a few tests.

I didn't migrate from Vera but rather started from scratch.  But bear in mind migrating between controllers is problematic at best - another false Z-Wave promise.

I am sure my problems with the Linux version were due to the pass through of USB ports on my ESXi host in combination with Debian.

Now that I have calmed down a bit  :-[ and played around with the Windows version I have to say that I like it. The UI feels professional rather than toy-like and beyond all, in z-wave operations there is a friendly green window telling me exactly what is going on.

Now it wasn't for the price... When is the next sale?

HS takes a little warming up to....  ;D

Offline dJOS

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 05:23:01 pm »
I'm starting to get quite frustrated with my Vera Plus* and seriously thinking about buying a HomeTroller SEL to replace it - does anyone know if they work with the Aeotec Z-stick as I already have one lying around (used for FW updates)?

*Scenes are unreliable and Z-wave devices keep being lost to the "cant detect device" bug that still seems to plague Vera's!  >:(
HAC: Vera Plus | Voice Control: Amazon echo's | Z-Wave Devices: Aeotec Smart Switches & Garage Door Opener | Thermostats: nest's

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 07:22:44 pm »
^^^
Yes, it will,
Although there now is a VERA HS Plugin and you could just use Vera as a Z-Net.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline dJOS

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 07:49:33 pm »
^^^
Yes, it will,
Although there now is a VERA HS Plugin and you could just use Vera as a Z-Net.

Ah nice, that is a good idea!

That said, one of my issues is zwave devices going into "cant detect" state in Vera so im not sure that would solve this issue?
HAC: Vera Plus | Voice Control: Amazon echo's | Z-Wave Devices: Aeotec Smart Switches & Garage Door Opener | Thermostats: nest's

Offline zedrally

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2018, 08:38:59 pm »
^^^
I would still use the Vera PI and transfer the offending devices over to HS.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »
^^^
I would still use the Vera PI and transfer the offending devices over to HS.

Zed,  I haven't heard from you in regards to the plugin.  Any feedback?

Offline zedrally

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2018, 05:30:41 pm »
No, I've run out of time in my life! :) Hope to find some on Saturday.....
I just  love the concept you have developed and see so much it has to offer.

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2018, 09:33:16 pm »
No, I've run out of time in my life! :) Hope to find some on Saturday.....
I just  love the concept you have developed and see so much it has to offer.

Let me know if you run into anything. 

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2018, 12:26:45 am »
Now it wasn't for the price... When is the next sale?

For anyone who needs it, 25%off hs3 code: GRM-HS3-25

Offline litby

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2018, 08:20:30 am »
As we say here in Sweden: when the Devil gets old, he gets religion :).

When I started to look for an alternative to Vera, I was a bit hostile to Homeseer mostly due to what I thought was an exorbitant cost. I am no longer so certain about that part.

I obtained  a trial license and I was initially annoyed by the unintuitive UI and my inability to get comfortable with its running on Debian 9. I crossed it off my list at that point.

But after having one of my Veras borking itself yet again overnight, and facing the long overdue project of replacing all my 2012-era light switches (mostly D?wi) with modern gear, I decided to give HS another chance. So I installed HS3 on a Windows 10 VM and ordered a big box of some 25 Qubino dual relays, dimmers and Hue light strips plus Schneider Exxact wall switches. I made a couple of test inclusions and they went flawlessly.

So an electrician came yesterday to install everything. EVERY SINGLE INCLUSION WORKED ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT. Huh? Was this even possible?

I don't even want to think about what this would have been like with the Vera. Even my battery powered smoke detectors and multi sensors work perfectly.

Now, my controllers are 2 Aeotec Z-sticks plugged into a Proliant server inside a steel mesh rack, basically a Faraday cage, in a remote corner of the house. Not optimal, although I guess four Xeon cores and 12 GB of RAM helps  8). My Veras were hypersensitive to placement and some battery powered devices never worked.

Now I only have to find the budget for a license.  :-\

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2018, 04:23:28 pm »

Unfortunally the big deal is not comming until November. 50% off for that whole month. Until then you can find specials from maybe 10-25% on the software. Don't pay full price.

Offline zedrally

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2018, 06:35:10 pm »

Now, my controllers are 2 Aeotec Z-sticks plugged into a Proliant server inside a steel mesh rack, basically a Faraday cage, in a remote corner of the house. Not optimal, although I guess four Xeon cores and 12 GB of RAM helps  8) . My Veras were hypersensitive to placement and some battery powered devices never worked.

Great to hear that you have it working in a Faraday cage, amazing that the Z-Wave Signal can penetrate it, I wouldn't have thought so, you have proven the opposite.
Can I suggest that you add a USB cable Extender and site the UZB in a elevated position aligned in the vertical. We find that this is the optimal method of using external radio's.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2018, 11:45:47 pm »
Faraday cages aren't magic that work perfectly because nothing we make is perfect. At the point of being effective, they reduce signal strength by @2/3, or about -15db, I think. Smaller mesh, more effective. Conductivity of the material matters too. Steel or aluminum is worse than copper.

And with zwave, all they needs is enough signal to reach a single mains powered device.