We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: zwave (un) reliability  (Read 3036 times)

Offline aschwalb

zwave (un) reliability
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:40:11 pm »
I have the new Vera 3 (Have a Vera 1 & 2 as well).  I keep loosing devices off my network.  I have over 40 devices (many are just plug-in modules to ensure coverage).  I am confused as to why these devices start showing red for no reason on my network. ???

FOr example I have recently added 2 leviton Zone controllers.  (I have 10 but in rebuilding my network I am going slow).   They worked for 2 days then today the show red.  One says "Unable to get any information on node" the other "Failed at: Setting special association".  They all see 10+ neighbors.  I have a GE dimmer that just quit with "Unable to get any information on node" yet it shows 5 neighbors.   I have tried numerous heals as well as update neighbor nodes and manual configures.  I have tried checking the "Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requries MiOS routing)" and un-checking it.  Thoughts?

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: zwave (un) reliability
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:06:07 pm »
When you paired the devices, did you take the vera unit to the device itself or did you pair with vera in her permanent spot? Another user had issues with getting nodes to communicate. You might want to open the unit up and see if the antenna is attached to the unit?

- Garrett

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:03:19 pm »
When you paired the devices, did you take the vera unit to the device itself or did you pair with vera in her permanent spot? Another user had issues with getting nodes to communicate. You might want to open the unit up and see if the antenna is attached to the unit?

- Garrett

@garrettwp
For the most part I took Vera to the device (have to due to the size and construction of my house.)  A few unit I added via high power inclusion.  What is weird is both of the controllers are in gang boxes with other zwave switches which are working fine.  One is close to Vera so can be seen directly. 

Offline gruntled

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:17:21 am »
The GE switches look like they're designed to dump heat pretty aggressively (those gigantic metal edges are heat sinks). I'm guessing the engineers who built it found that the devices were heat sensitive (which makes sense given the amount of work the things are doing). I've made sure all my switches are clad in metal, not plastic, plates to aid in heat dissipation and I've been cautious about grouping switches in gang drops because of concerns about heat. I would propose that you may be seeing failures caused by excessive heat buildup.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:16:45 am »
The GE switches look like they're designed to dump heat pretty aggressively (those gigantic metal edges are heat sinks). I'm guessing the engineers who built it found that the devices were heat sensitive (which makes sense given the amount of work the things are doing). I've made sure all my switches are clad in metal, not plastic, plates to aid in heat dissipation and I've been cautious about grouping switches in gang drops because of concerns about heat. I would propose that you may be seeing failures caused by excessive heat buildup.

I think you are right on the GE switches (Which by the way isnt my current problem as only one failure is a GE switch and it is in a single gang box).  I have had 4-6 GE switches fail and that I do think is from heat in multi gang boxes.  Those were pretty obvious failures.  The ones failing now are Leviton controllers and not with GE switches (2 outlets) and 1 single gang.  I did buy the 900 spectrum analyzer and was going to give that a shot tonight and see if I am getting any weird RF issues. 

Offline davem2421

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:28:14 am »
the one you are getting: "Failed at: Setting special association" is it associated with a scene? maybe remove it from any scenes associated to that switch and see what happens.

for the "unable to get any information on the node" problem I had this one time and it was a with a GE dimmer switch. turned out that the bulb in the light was burnt out. I replaced the bulb
and it started working. not sure if this will be the same for you but thought I'd throw it out there
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:52:43 am by davem2421 »

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:01 am »
the one you are getting: "Failed at: Setting special association" is it associated with a scene? maybe remove it from any scenes associated to that switch and see what happens.

for the "unable to get any information on the node" problem I had this one time and it was a with a GE dimmer switch. turned out that the bulb in the light was burnt out. I replaced the bulb
and it started working. not sure if this will be the same for you but thought I'd throw it out there

Was testing that when you posted...  Am having remote control problems...  Slow to come up and then no control just time out errors...  One is from that the other is not.  Will let you know if that resolves one controller issue.

Offline davem2421

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:52:40 am »
You're not the only having problems connecting via cp.mios.com I was having trouble earlier myself on both the pc and homebuddy.

I was able to eventually get connected but everything seemed to run very slow