We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Alert when device is lost/disconnected  (Read 2986 times)

Offline fje

Re: Alert when device is lost/disconnected
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 02:03:15 pm »
Go to the settings of your phone and find "notification center" (or something like that, I don't know exact English phrase).
Then choose apps and find settings for Vera app.
Probably you have enabled a setting where notifications from Vera app don't ring a sound or vibrate ("send unobtrusive notifications" or something like that).

You may also long press on a notification from vera app and then choose "more settings" to go to the same place.
I did first suggestion and comes with me to the same point I told in previous post.

Second suggestion only allows me to delete the alarm received or, if I do from the status bar goes to the same point as previous, and there is none parameter related to sound or not sound.

And, by the way, I disconnected the controller from the internet and... No alarm was sent.

>:( >:( >:(

Should I raise a ticket to support or are they looking also at this forum?

Regards

Offline kwieto

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 04:59:32 pm »
I did first suggestion and comes with me to the same point I told in previous post.

Second suggestion only allows me to delete the alarm received or, if I do from the status bar goes to the same point as previous, and there is none parameter related to sound or not sound.

Maybe it depends on the revision of Android, I can set if notifications should be "silent" or not.

And, by the way, I disconnected the controller from the internet and... No alarm was sent.

>:( >:( >:(

Should I raise a ticket to support or are they looking also at this forum?

They don't pick tickets from the forum (how they could know which controller you are talking about?)
I would check if controller is presented as offline in web interface. If yes, then probably something is wrong with notifications from Vera (= ticket), If controller is presented as online, then something is maybe with controller itself or your network connection.
For notifications which are on the phone but without any sound, in my opinion something is on the phone's side.
You can try to re-install vera's mobile app on your phone.

Offline fje

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 05:25:41 pm »
OK, Kwieto, thanks for your answer and suggestions.

I will do tomorrow some of the checks you suggest and depending of the results, I will act.

I will also update this forum with results.

Thanks again.

regards.

Offline fje

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 05:56:20 pm »
First test done:
1.- Controller disconnected from internet
2.- web interface says: offline"
3.- No indication, no alert in VERA Mobile app.

So, following your suggestion I will open a ticket in support.

Will keep this forum posted of results.

regards.

Offline fje

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2018, 03:46:15 am »
I have been out for a while, school vacations took me busy with grandkids.

In the meantime, changes occurred, so, I am updating this topic with them.

Alerts finally came to the VERA Mobile app in the mobile, but without sound. Support answered my ticket with:

About the sound for the push notifications for smartphones, which have the Android version below 8, please note that our mobile development team was able to reproduce it and it will be resolved in the next update for the mobile apps. It seems that when you have the app in the background running or when the phone?s screen if off, there is no sound.

No time frame for the update for the time now.

Later on, I got an additional answer with more details:

1. Controller offline/online
→ if you remove the power/ Ethernet cord from the hub and re-connect it within a few seconds that alert won?t be sent.
→ you will receive the alert after 6 minutes when our servers is detecting that the unit cannot be reached (power off or internet down)
2. A device is not responding
→ that alert will be sent if the device will not respond after 50 consecutive polls or after 4 hours

As those times seems too long to me I asked if there could be a way to reduce them or if they could be parametrized and the answer was NO, they aren't, so, I again asked for putting it as suggestion for a future update of the microcode, and asked again for the update to the Android 7 app and the answer was:

1. Your request with the time to be shorter in receiving those kind of alerts it?s the first one we have received so far on this matter so if we receive other for sure it will be taken into consideration, I don?[t have an ETA to give you because this can?t be changed so simple in the firmware, it?s something related to our servers so it will take longer to be done and it will impact all of our users.
2. The situation with the sound for alerts in Android systems it?s still under work, it was reported but I can?t provide exactly the date, we?ll post it on our Release Notes page.

So, I put all of the answer here for general knowledge and maybe if more people is interested on it, put a suggestion to VERA Support for parametrizing the times of "controller offline alert" and "device not reachable alert".

Regards.

Javier

Offline kwieto

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2018, 05:15:38 pm »
You can set polling time for specified device to really short (i.e. 1 second), then you'll have response really fast (50 polls will be 50 seconds). This won't work for battery operated devices, of course, as they need to wake up to receive and react to polls and setting wake up time to 1sec would drain their battery in days or even hours.
The other potential issue is that in some places with poor range it may happen that you will get lot of false alerts (you may check the PollRatings variables for your devices - the maximum I suppose is 5, the lower the quality of connection is the lower rating you'll have)

I still don't get why you want to use device polling as a factor to diagnose if device was not tricked by someone, while in typical case the easier and more reliable way would be using proper battery operated sensors.
They also can have their own issues, but then you'll be at least informed immediately. One of my door/window sensor have issues with tamper switch which started to wear off and I was flooded with messages "device xyz was tampered" and "device xyz no longer being tampered". As they come immediately and the issue was switch loosing contact my phone sometimes was non-stop buzzing for couple of minutes untill the switch decided to report itself as either tampered or not. Hopefully adding a tiny pad between the switch and the part of the cover that press it solved the problem.
But as I wrote, I got immediate notifications about the status.

Offline fje

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 01:56:13 am »
Hi, Kwieto. In it is not a battery or mains problem, that in many of the sensors is the only solution, but the possibility of the use of frequency inhibitors the reason for being sure that the communication between sensors and controllers is maintained. And the cabling of all the sensors is not a solution or possible in many circunstancies.

regards.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2018, 04:19:55 am »
but the possibility of the use of frequency inhibitors the reason for being sure that the communication between sensors and controllers is maintained.

But is it a real problem?
If you consider it as likely to happen then maybe go for proffessional solutions?
I don't think Vera (any consumer wiereless product?) will give you the level of security you're looking for