Author Topic: Vera3 power light is blinking green&orange OR power light is solid green  (Read 81618 times)

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: Vera3 power light is blinking green&orange OR power light is solid green
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 06:46:31 am »
Speaking of powering the unit off, is there any problem with removing power altogether occasionally for a number of hours?  Is programming lost or are there any other known or expected consequences?

A day-long power cut should be no different to a five-second power cut. You won't damage anything.

Offline Canadian EC

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:11 am »
Speaking of powering the unit off, is there any problem with removing power altogether occasionally for a number of hours?  Is programming lost or are there any other known or expected consequences?

A day-long power cut should be no different to a five-second power cut. You won't damage anything.

Thanks for the reply...scenes, devices, etc. will still be there as well?

Offline autotoronto

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:56 am »
It seems that the corruption is happening when the unit is unplugged from the battery pack.
How does the unit know it's being powered by battery and not by the ac adaptor? And why would that make any difference to what happens when the power is removed? Should be take the same precautions when removing the ac adaptor power?

Because of this we've added a
POWER OFF feature in the new firmware.
In which new firmware have you added the POWER OFF feature?

What happens in the case of tripping over the cord, or other unexpected power loss? Is there a possibility of file-system corruption in a) the old firmware or b) the new firmware, still?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:11:48 am by autotoronto »

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »
How does the unit know it's being powered by battery and not by the ac adaptor?

I was thinking exactly the same... sounds like male bovine excrement if you ask me :)

I think its far more likely that maybe power from the battery is not optimal as there always many cases of issues with the V2 after people had included with the battery, and as such I've never trusted it!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:14:19 pm by strangely »
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline cj

• MiCasaVerde
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »
It seems that the corruption is happening when the unit is unplugged from the battery pack.
How does the unit know it's being powered by battery and not by the ac adaptor? And why would that make any difference to what happens when the power is removed? Should be take the same precautions when removing the ac adaptor power?
The Vera3 unit doesn't know when it's on dc or ac power. I said that because all the customers which encountered the issue experience it in this way : they where adding devices using the battery pack and after disconnecting the battery pack and connecting the ac adapter the power led started to blink.
Yes, you should take the same precaution also when you unplug the unit from the AC adapter.

Because of this we've added a
POWER OFF feature in the new firmware.
In which new firmware have you added the POWER OFF feature?
Starting from 1.5.254 and also in order to Reset to factory defaults your Vera3 unit you have to keep pressed for 5 seconds on the Reset button, not double tap it as it was on Vera2.

What happens in the case of tripping over the cord, or other unexpected power loss? Is there a possibility of file-system corruption in a) the old firmware or b) the new firmware, still?
We've found and fixed certain issues related to nand driver, jfss2 and overlayfs in the new firmware and hope that any other new bugs won't appear, although this ones are very hard to reproduce :
ie : I've left for 2 days 3 Vera units (with old and new firmware) in save and cold restarts every 5 minutes and couldn't hit the bugs.

Offline autotoronto

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 06:22:05 pm »
The Vera3 unit doesn't know when it's on dc or ac power. I said that because all the customers which encountered the issue experience it in this way : they where adding devices using the battery pack and after disconnecting the battery pack and connecting the ac adapter the power led started to blink.
and
although this ones are very hard to reproduce :
ie : I've left for 2 days 3 Vera units (with old and new firmware) in save and cold restarts every 5 minutes and couldn't hit the bugs.
Did you try it with a nearly-discharged battery pack? perhaps it's voltage-dependent.

Offline Canadian EC

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 08:25:18 pm »

Starting from 1.5.254 and also in order to Reset to factory defaults your Vera3 unit you have to keep pressed for 5 seconds on the Reset button, not double tap it as it was on Vera2.

Any new challenges with power off?  Scenes/scripts/etc. come back no problem?

Offline axill

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »
I was very disapointed by how vera3 is unstable!!!

Just first day I've got blinking led and had to restore my vera using method described by this thread.
It probably was an incorrect power circle.

After that I put my vera3 under backed up power, so it now will never be shutted down incorrectly
but....
today I've just added a new device
Vera3 gone to shutdown and died
Now I can see only blinking led

I'm 100% sure vera was kept on power
What is bad with vera3??

Offline axill

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »
It is bad...vera3.. is very bad

it is second time i've tried to use the method to recover from this thread

first i've got new errors (part of the output):

Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 950000 -- 84 % complete. Cleanmarker written at 950000.
Skipping bad block at 0x00954000

Skipping bad block at 0x00958000

Skipping bad block at 0x0095c000

Skipping bad block at 0x00960000

Skipping bad block at 0x00964000

Skipping bad block at 0x00968000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ a60000 -- 94 % complete. Cleanmarker written at a60000.
Skipping bad block at 0x00a64000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ b00000 -- 100 % complete.Cleanmarker written at afc000.
root@MiOS:~# sync

second my vera started with all leds lithting!!!!
yes i can log into vera using ssh, but web interface was broken

what is wrong???

Offline cj

• MiCasaVerde
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 08:12:43 am »
It is bad...vera3.. is very bad

it is second time i've tried to use the method to recover from this thread

first i've got new errors (part of the output):

Erasing 16 Kibyte @ 950000 -- 84 % complete. Cleanmarker written at 950000.
Skipping bad block at 0x00954000

Skipping bad block at 0x00958000

Skipping bad block at 0x0095c000

Skipping bad block at 0x00960000

Skipping bad block at 0x00964000

Skipping bad block at 0x00968000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ a60000 -- 94 % complete. Cleanmarker written at a60000.
Skipping bad block at 0x00a64000
Erasing 16 Kibyte @ b00000 -- 100 % complete.Cleanmarker written at afc000.
root@MiOS:~# sync
If you see the word "bad" in the output of a command, that doesn't mean the Vera3 is bad!
Vera3 uses a NAND flash, which can have bad block even from the factory, as you can see in your case it has several bad blocks. In order to detect and prevent writing to a bad block certain algorithms are used in the kernel/bootloader. In the base OS of the first batch of Vera3 units that where shipped, we've identified several problems and fixed them and soon will release a new firmware which will contain also a base image upgrade. By just running the mentioned erase command you restore your fs, you don't fix the base OS issues. In order to update your base OS you need to re-write your firmware using the Recovery tool.
More informations about NAND can be found here : http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/nand.html
second my vera started with all leds lithting!!!!
yes i can log into vera using ssh, but web interface was broken

what is wrong???
In the factory each Vera unit is tested to see if all leds, buttons and zwave module is working. To mark the start of the factory test sequence Vera lights up all the leds and doesn't boot further until this process is done. This test sequence is done only once, in your case it seems somehow that the flag which marks the process as done was erased also. I need access to your unit in order to debug this issue. I'll send more details by PM.

Offline JOD

• Beta Testers
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 11:11:47 am »
For the issue of powering Vera down to connect the battery pack & vice versa.

You could use a "Y" power cord. See attached picture.

Connect it between Vera and the power supply, you can then connect the battery before disconnecting the power supply.

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline axill

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 05:29:34 pm »
If you see the word "bad" in the output of a command, that doesn't mean the Vera3 is bad!
vera3 is bad because it looks badly prepeared for sales.
i had zero problem to setup vera2 while vera3 died next day after purchase (arrival)

I've replyed to your kind email message.
I cannot activate remote access, it is not working

dmesg lists 181 bad blocks at the begining of the message
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:11:56 pm by axill »

Offline edbroni

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »
Hi,

This is my first post due problem with Vera3. Since I turned on the Vera3 the power and zwave led stay solid after one minute. The wan led is always blinking (with a cable in wan port or not). Should I use the recovery tool to re write the firmware?

ThankĀ“s in advance,

Edgar

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 04:19:20 pm »
Your unit is fine. The wan light is flashing as it is trying to receive a connection. How long did you leave the network cable plugged into the wan port. Did you try to even access the unit? Is this your first time setting it up?

- Garrett

Offline edbroni

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 05:02:00 pm »
Your unit is fine. The wan light is flashing as it is trying to receive a connection. How long did you leave the network cable plugged into the wan port. Did you try to even access the unit? Is this your first time setting it up?

- Garrett

I leave the network cable plugged 1 hour. I accessed the unit and switch from "automatic" to "Vera like gateway" but nothing happened, the wan led keep blinking.
This is my first time with Vera, but I used Homeseer. I read much about Vera before bought