Author Topic: Will a 2420M - Smarthome Insteon Wireless PIR Motion and Light Detector work  (Read 2723 times)

Offline mpovolo

My last post mentions issues with my current 3 in 1 z-wave.  Was going to scrap it and try this one.  Will it work.  I noticed in my vera3 stup that it has a section to turn on Insteon support. 

thanks

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
    • Altsteon
The support for Insteon on the Vera doesn't seem to handle inbound events with the exception of the I/O Linc. 

The Vera also seems to have issues with handling Insteon devices that spend the bulk of their time in a sleep mode.  (Like the 2420M) When I experimented with the Triggerlinc I was able to get the Vera to see it correctly for a very short time.  When it went back to sleep, the Vera changed it to a Generic I/O device.

So, while I have not tested the 2420M with the native Insteon support, there is a lot of evidence that it probably won't work.   If you want to know "for sure", I have a 2420M that I could set up and test real quickly tonight.  Just let me know.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline mpovolo

That would be fantastic if you could try it.  Assuming it works, would I need anything additional to utilize these insteon devices over and above my current vera 3

thanks

Offline fba

• Altsteon
You will need a Power Line Modem (PLM) of some sort.   Something like this : http://www.smarthome.com/2413U/PowerLinc-Modem-INSTEON-USB-Interface-Dual-Band/p.aspx

There are 3 flavors of PLM out there.   I would avoid the serial port one if you are going to use the Vera so that you don't have to mess with a USB->Serial interface.   The best choice is probably the 2413U (linked above), but there is also a wireless dongle that you might be able to use if the distance between the dongle and the sensor is short enough.   I have one of each of the 3 PLMs and have used the 2413U and the wireless one on the Vera with success.

Distance between the sensor and an Insteon access point is something you are going to need to keep in mind.  The dual-band PLMs act as access points so if you are close enough that should be all you need.  If your house is like mine and suffers from "RF soup", you may need to install other dual-band devices to get a good link.   I had to install a dual-band switch near my Thermostat to make it all work nicely together.

I'll post back later on how my test goes.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline fba

• Altsteon
I had a second during lunch to give this a try.   Just like the Triggerlinc, the motion sensor shows up as a Generic IO device.   So, it looks like the 2420M won't work with the existing Insteon implementation in the Vera.

FWIW, I have a Vera 3 with UI5 running version 1.5.254.

Offline mpovolo

thanks for testing it for me.