Author Topic: Geofencing... am I missing something? NOT an intuitive process to set up!  (Read 750 times)

Offline kevink619

Hi,

I've tried in vain to get the geofencing feature to work using the Vera app for Android. The setup process appears to be straightforward, but somehow I seem to be missing something. I've set up a geofence for 100 meters surround my home, made sure to set it as "home" and ticked the checkbox for "Set house mode to HOME when at least one users is at home." I've also made sure to grand location permissions to the app in Android. Yet I can't get the app to detect that I'm home lately. This used to work, but then quit working a few months ago. What am I doing wrong? And why can Vera make the process of setting this up more intuitive?

Offline Inzax

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  Vera did something to their service causing the geofence to operate differently.  Or in my experience, to become next to useless.  I had a very reliable geofence experience. 

This thread documents the change:  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,75649.msg369569.html#msg369569

Very frustrating to take a huge step backwards with geofencing.  I have pretty much given up on vera at this point and have started to explore more stable options  (sorry venting).
Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline kwieto

And why can Vera make the process of setting this up more intuitive?

They can.
Recently I have opportunity to compare Vera app for Windows Mobile and for Android. It is a huge difference between these two, in favour of Windows version. For example on a Windows app you can see all your geofences on a map, where also your current location is presented.
To do the same on android you have to go to edit mode, then click "back" on the screen with data of edited geofence, and then you finally have a map where you can see and change all your geofences visually.
I don't know why Android app is so different (worse) not only in user-friendliness of geofencing settings.

As for reliability I didn't have issues with Windows phone. Once or twice I got "can't process request" error. I don't count occasional problems with "wandering" of my GPS (home accidentially setting itself to "away" and back "home" mode), because all GPS apps were affected, so problem was not on Vera's side.
I didn't try much about reliability of Android app. Those couple of times (less than 5) when I used geofencing with Android it worked fine, but for me it is too small sample to have strong opinion.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
I think I might be missing something too. 

I've set up a geofence for 'home' using the app for windows phone.  I have location switched on in the phone.  Do I need to have a scene set up so something is being triggered, or should I get a notification when all I have done is created the geofence?  The only thing I've got set up that I could create a scene with at the moment is a couple of hue lights, and I'm having trouble pairing that with the Vera.  I was just hoping to know whether the geofence is working.

Offline kwieto

When you configure a location you have checkbox "notify when enter or leave" - if you check it on, you'll get push notification to your phone every time location is entered or left.
After you configured a location and set it to be your "home" you can configure in geofencing settings (in winows app - gearwheel icon top right corner) if you want to automatically set your home mode to home/away depending on your location.
This is the basic functionality you can achieve.

Then you can steer specific devices in mainly two ways:
One is to go to house modes settings and set proper setting depending on the mode. Whenever mode ich changed to desired one, your devices will act accordingly. For example you can set up your heaters to make temperature of 21C if house mode is entered and 15C when away mode is entered. Then when you leave home your heaters will be turned to 15C and when you enter your home again they'll be set to 21C.
In house modes you can specify various behaviours - dimming level of a light, turn switch on/off, arm/disarm sensor etc.

Second option is to make a geofence based scene (possible only via mobile app - you create a scene and choose geofence as a trigger). This way you can do some finetuning of the possibilities given by the first option, like changing only specified device(s), adding delayed actions etc.
The advantage of this option is that you can utilize more of geofencing functionality, i.e. set additional geofences which will then trigger specific actions. For example I have a scene which turns water boiler in advance when I go to my vacation home. As I usually go the same way I have a scene which, when I arraive at certain location on the way, turns the water on and start up heating so when I arrive at home it is already hot.
The disadvantage is that the scene creator in the app is simplified and you don't see geofence based scenes in web ui. There is a workaround, using AltUI here you can see and edit also geofence based scenes. I have one scene where I added some additional condition via lua code (it is impossible in mobile app) and it works.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
Notify is definitely checked, but I haven't received any notifications when I've crossed the geofence.  I've found a check box in 'user info' for 'send me push notifications' that wasn't checked.  Hopefully I'll get a notification next time I head out.

I understand the possibilities with geofencing set up, I just need to get it set up before I can move on to anything else :)

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
Success!  I got location triggers on the app on my phone when I went out (and when I came home) earlier today.

Offline kevink619

Success!  I got location triggers on the app on my phone when I went out (and when I came home) earlier today.

What did you do to fix it?