We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Resolved: Crashing regularly  (Read 5426 times)

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
Resolved: Crashing regularly
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:01:22 pm »
Not sure how helpful this will be for development but this utility is crashing quite often for me. I've been home a lot and using it  a lot so I've really been putting it's endurance to the test. Often when I open it I get a message saying that it has stopped working. It always starts right back up though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:39:20 am by garrettwp »
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Crashing regularly
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:36:43 pm »
Can you tell me what you are doing or what steps I need to reproduce this? I use my app every day without issue. More information would be appreciated. Been doing some thinking, does this only occur when resuming the app? If that is the case, can you tell me which tab you are on when this happens. I would like to solve this issue asap.

- Garrett
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:21:16 am by garrettwp »

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:25:29 am »
As far as I can recall it only happens when resuming. I don't think it's ever happened while I was using it. The tab is the Devices tab. After a while loading that as default finally took.

I'll open the app a bunch today and in the coming days just to get a better idea of when it happens.

For the record this is the only app that has crashed on me so far, which is why I found it important enough to mention here.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:27:22 am »
Very odd. I'll try and test on my tablet and see what happens. I've done the same and set the default to devices. Sounds like it does not like something when resuming. Keep me posted. I would like to track this down. Is everything else working OK within the app?

- Garrett

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:49:11 pm »
Have we verified that he is on the latest version?
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:07:46 pm »
I should have asked... S-F are you running 1.3.3? I have been going back and forth with the app running on my Transformer (1st gen) and I can not reproduce crashing when the app resumes. Can you go into Android Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> AutHomationHD -> Clear Data? This will start from a clean slate and you will need to setup the app settings again. Might clear up any gremlins that could cause the app to crash on resume.

- Garrett

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:36:38 am »
Well I've been using this tool every day many times and since I started this thread it has only crashed one time and that was when I "woke up" the Prime and went right to AutHomation.
I don't know what to say, other than that this is working out quite well for me. If I have issues in the future I'll be sure to note the circumstances and try clearing the data.

Thanks for the great app!

EDIT:

Well I'll be....

Just after I posted this I fired up the Prime to find the version # (1.3.3 BTW) and as soon as I opened up AutHomation I was greeted by a message saying that it has stopped working. I clicked "OK" and then went right on using it. Everything was fine. Go figure.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:40:14 am by S-F »

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 12:23:23 pm »
S-F,

This sounds like the same issue that fba is having. I just released this app to the Android Market. Can you do me a favor and remove the current version and install AutHomationHD from the market? The reason I ask is, if the app crashes I get a report on the crash. This would be very very helpful. It really does sound like fba's problem  here:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9327.0.html

If that is the case, I think I know what is going on and hopefully have a fix for it. I really am sorry that it is doing this to you. Not a very good user experience. I am determined to track this down and fix it.

- Garrett

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »
OK

I uninstalled, reinstalled from the market and set it back up. No crashes yet but it's not respecting the default tab setting for me again. Last time it took a day or so for that to work itself out so I'll be patient.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Peach of a tool you've got here.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:57:23 pm »
OK

I uninstalled, reinstalled from the market and set it back up. No crashes yet but it's not respecting the default tab setting for me again. Last time it took a day or so for that to work itself out so I'll be patient.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Peach of a tool you've got here.

S-F,

Thanks for installing from the market. Hopefully we can catch this bug. As for the default tab, I think I know what is going on. If you run the app and press the home button or switch to a different app, when resuming it will load the last saved state. This is because the app is technically still in memory and most likely because you use the app quite a bit. If you have not run the app for some time, say over night, the Android OS will close the app to allocate memory else where. Let me do some thinking on how I can tackle this. I can have another option in the default tab settings called "Current Tab" and that could save the current tab you are on when moving out of the app. If I go this route, I will need to adjust the way it preserves the tab selection on screen rotation.

- Garrett

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »
Yeah I thought about that myself but I don't think it's the case. As I said before, it didn't work at first and then it started to work just fine. If I left the device alone for a long period of time the difference was that when I opened AutHomation it would display the first room instead of whichever I was on last. It respected my selecting devices instead of scenes as default though. Now It's not respecting that choice. I don't recall whether or not it loads the first room in the list or the last one though. But I must be clear, that even if I switch to a different app for a little while, say a minute or so, when I go back it's on scenes again. And it certainly hasn't stopped the app as it's the last one used and only a moment ago.

I wish I could be of more help. I'm always really moved when the developers of OSS take their work seriously.

EDIT:

OK. When switching between AutHomation and other apps, upon return AutHomation is remembering the last viewed room but not that I was viewing devices as opposed to scenes, even though I also have devices set as the default tab. And this is only leaving AutHomation for less than a minute.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:04:38 pm by S-F »

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 10:04:02 pm »
Another quirk I just discovered is when selecting last saved level I get a ERROR Level out of range message. All works well again when I uncheck it. Appears to be 100% reproducible.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:17:38 am »
Hmmm, that us interesting. I'll look into this. Is it reporting this when using the on button or the slider?

- Garrett

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:10:05 am »
I did some testing on the last saved level option and I can reproduce the error. The error happens because when the option is enabled, and you go to turn on a dimmable device with the toggle button and you have not used the slider for that dimmable device after setting the last saved level option, the error pops up. This is a stupid error on my part and should have seen this. It came down to me checking the wrong value on a device that has not had the level value saved yet. I fixed this bug.

- Garrett

p.s. I loaded up an Ice Cream Sandwich tablet emulator and noticed a cosmetic bug. When resuming or switching tabs, the room section would not highlight the current room you are in. I did not notice this as it works on my Transformer running Honeycomb, but does not work when running Ice Cream (got to love it! Works on version, breaks in another. Love supporting multiple versions.)

- Garrett

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 10:45:33 am »

p.s. I loaded up an Ice Cream Sandwich tablet emulator and noticed a cosmetic bug. When resuming or switching tabs, the room section would not highlight the current room you are in. I did not notice this as it works on my Transformer running Honeycomb, but does not work when running Ice Cream (got to love it! Works on version, breaks in another. Love supporting multiple versions.)

- Garrett

Ha ha! I guess I didn't know that feature didn't work because I've never seen it! I installed ICS the moment I got the tablet.