Author Topic: Service light blinking, software/hardware not updating  (Read 342 times)

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
Service light blinking, software/hardware not updating
« on: June 30, 2018, 12:47:55 am »
Hi - I'm right at the beginning of set up for a Vera Plus.  The device wasn't automatically detected but it was easy enough to enter the details manually.  I was following the steps of required information while Vera was saying updating software, but couldn't get my phone number accepted (no combination of country code/prefix/etc worked - it wouldn't let me put a '+' for country code).  There was no indication of how far along the supposed software update was, but I left it going for over an hour.

Somewhere along the way, I found myself on a dashboard site, so gave up on the phone number issue above.  The dashboard said my controller was offline and that my firmware was not up to date.  It didn't offer any assistance in getting it online or up to date, going in to advanced to update just got an update failed message.

I noticed the internet and service lights were flashing.  I had the ethernet cable plugged in to a switch so moved it to the primary Google wifi pod.  All lights except service went solid, so no go.  So I backed it up another step and plugged it directly in to the modem/router.  All except service went solid, then internet blinked, then went solid... service never goes solid, that's not working either.  So I 'removed' the device from the dashboard, unplugged it all and reconnected to the switch.  All went solid except service.

I currently have 2 web pages open - both opened since reconnecting via the switch and 'removing' the device via the dashboard.

One is the dashboard home.getvera.com.  It tells me the controller is offline.  If I click on advanced it tells me the firmware is not up to date.  If I click on upate it says update failed please try again later.

The other is the setup wizard home.getvera.com/setup/wizard.... again it didn't find my controller and I manually entered the details.  It says it is updating controller software but I when I click on 'next step' it says 'something went wrong, please try again'.

So, software needs updating, firmware needs updating, neither will update (software update icon still circling on it's latest attempt).

There is a default wifi password box and when I click on show password it's not a password I recognise and I can't change it.

The only thing I've been able to find about the flashing service light is that it seems like it's not my end - a support page says it means there is trouble establishing a connection with the cloud servers.  I have checked the status page and everything appears to have been fully operational in the time I've been trying to get this to work (a couple of hours now).  I suspect this is why nothing is updating to get me going, but no idea where to from here.

Help!

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Service light blinking, software/hardware not updating
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:50:48 pm »
I'm going to leave this post here in case others have the same issue in the future.  Although things did start working, I don't really know why.  I just left the unit plugged in to the modem/router for several hours and one time when I checked all the lights were solid.  So I decided to connect the laptop to the same modem/router via ethernet to ensure they were both on the same network, and I was able to get the firmware update to proceed and complete.

After that I risked plugging it back in to the switch coming off the google wifi primary, put the laptop back on the google wifi network, and it's been working ok for the couple of days since then.  I even managed to get my Netatmo weather station to join the party (eventually) and will be adding more devices when I can (garage door opener and Netatmo rain and wind gauges are waiting, and 2 x Tado on the way).