Author Topic: OLD Generation 1 - HAL lelujah --- You can now talk to your vera  (Read 31912 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: HAL lelujah --- You can now talk to your vera
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 10:41:28 am »
Richard,

I should have some time today to test your app. I was going to over the weekend but became busy. I'll let you know how I make out.

- Garrett

Update:

It appears that access to your site is offline.  :(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:33:46 pm by garrettwp »

Offline jwiz

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 08:44:46 pm »
I am getting connection error on both the PC and Android Client. Here is what my windows error log show.

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component. at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.Initialize(SapiRecognizer recognizer, Boolean inproc) at System.Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognitionEngine.get_RecoBase() at System.Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognitionEngine.LoadGrammar(Grammar grammar) at HalService.Recognizer..ctor(HalService hs, String FileName) at HalService.HalServer.HalConnection.AudioRequest() at HalService.HalServer.HalConnection.HandleConnection()

Thanks
John

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:30 pm »
jwiz - There is a file in the Installation area:
c:/Program Files/RTS Services/HalServer/Grammar.gxml
This is the grammar that is specific to your configuration. If you could send it to me I will see If I injected a syntax error. Could be something based on the names in your configuration. You might look over the Help File in that area as well and see if the names match your configuration. Something missing might be a key. Actually even if the voice does not work ... can you check connectivity by clicking the help in both places. This downloads a customized help file.

garrettwp - I moved out to the country side ... much slower links and low reliability. I am on first name basis with my ISP ... its back now ... but wait one  day before downloading anything ... New version out tomorrow.

AP15E ... now I am at the  point where I realized the Speech engine is not installed.
I guess it came with a few apps (like office). Microsoft has instructions for how to build an installer for this ... I am making one ... want to verify the full install on XP before the next release.

Offline jwiz

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 09:42:32 pm »
jwiz - There is a file in the Installation area:
c:/Program Files/RTS Services/HalServer/Grammar.gxml
This is the grammar that is specific to your configuration. If you could send it to me I will see If I injected a syntax error. Could be something based on the names in your configuration. You might look over the Help File in that area as well and see if the names match your configuration. Something missing might be a key. Actually even if the voice does not work ... can you check connectivity by clicking the help in both places. This downloads a customized help file.

garrettwp - I moved out to the country side ... much slower links and low reliability. I am on first name basis with my ISP ... its back now ... but wait one  day before downloading anything ... New version out tomorrow.

AP15E ... now I am at the  point where I realized the Speech engine is not installed.
I guess it came with a few apps (like office). Microsoft has instructions for how to build an installer for this ... I am making one ... want to verify the full install on XP before the next release.

There is a .grxml file not a .gxml

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28:14 pm »
Yep that's it.  send to schaefer@rts-services.com

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 05:48:43 pm »
AP15E - Well I followed Microsoft's instructions and created an installer for Speech on XP.
  I installed it. When I ran my app it indicated that it did not support a feature I was using.
  I will see if I can upgrade to a newer speech engine.

ALL Here is the current status:
  • Windows 7 - Working
  • Vista - Unknow
  • Windows XP - Not Working

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 06:21:28 pm »
Please add the current status to your first post in the thread. Thanks!

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:11 pm »
Microsoft actually responded to my question about their Speech Engine. They support a non XML style description of the grammar that will work with both the old engine (XP) and the new engines (Vista, 7) and that will meet my needs. I will see how hard it will be to convert to the other format. So XP is not dead. They indicated that I should be OK on Vista based on what I told them I was using.

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 03:01:58 am »
OK so  decided to Run this at the wee hours in the morning so I may be missing something here because im tired! 
   I ran the HalServerSetup.  It stops midway and settings come up with port info and find vera etc.  It found the lan config but could not find server.  When I shut this down the server continues to install but then seems to quit midway!  I see it installed the folder but I cannot run this!  When I run service from the folder, it states "cannot start service from command line or a debugger. A window service must first be installed and then started with the serverExplorer, windows Services Admin.  etc etc....." 
    PLease advise?  I am running windows 7 ultimate with a vera 2 machine!

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »
The easiest way to do this is run the Hal Client program which should be in your start menu.
In the Admin menu just click start Hal Server.

The reason the find Hal Server did not find anything is because it was not running yet.
It will not find the Hal Server if you have not started the Hal Server (under the Admin Menu).

The reason it's a service is so that it can be running even if you are not logged in.

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 06:13:15 am »
Was finally able to test it out. It would not work unless you manually open the port through the software firewall on windows. It does work and takes some getting used to. Had some times where it would not recognize my request. All in all, great job so far!

- Garrett

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:55 am »
The Android client works best ... because you talk into the phone ... better Signal to noise ratio (SNR). For the PC client you need to setup the microphone properly. If you use Skype you are probably OK. Otherwise check to see how your sound is recorded with  "Sound Recorder", it's usually under the Accessories Start Menu.
The Hal PC client also uses an OPEN mike ... I wrote the algorythm  for detecting speech. I need to work on this for different background noise levels. I plan to add a "Push to Talk" option to work better in a noisy environment.

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 09:07:17 am »
I was using the android client. But had to make sure that the port on the windows machine was open in the windows firewall to allow communication.

- Garrett

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 09:13:25 am »
Thanks, I will add some notes to the installation page.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »
The installation notes on the website have been expanded to address issues people have encountered.