Author Topic: Countdown timer plugin (UI5)  (Read 96639 times)

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: Countdown timer plugin (UI5)
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2016, 09:12:42 am »
I was a big fan/user of Futzle's Countdown Timer and Combination plugin and lots of connecting scenes when I bought my first Vera.
Without them I would have probably moved on to something else.
You needed them when I started in UI4 if you wanted to do any meaningful automation.
As I continued to automate things in my house, the memory consumption (because of the number of plugin instances) and the complexity caused by the number of scenes that glued things together is what motivated the design of PLTS first, then shortly after PLEG.

PLTS was motivated by the Countdown Timer Plugin and the fact that many of my Countdown timers needed a Combination plugin to handle non trivial triggers and a collection of connecting scenes.
I wanted one device to encapsulate all of this logic.

PLEG was motivated by the Combination Plugin and the fact that many of my Combination plugins drove logic independent of any Countdown Timer.
Then I realized that many of my "Countdown" timers did not need a user interface ... they were only for automation ... and I added timers to PLEG.
PLEG then became the dominant plugin, and you would use PLTS if you needed a timer with a User Interface.

Offline Quixote

« Reply #196 on: October 02, 2016, 06:08:19 pm »
Thank you both for your replies.
I'm taking off for a week or so, so I guess in the meantime I'll just set up something super simple that acts at specific times, just so the fish won't be in the dark all week. While I'm on my trip I'll take a look at the PLEG documentation and see if I can figure it out on my own. At first glance at the PDF, it seems like something that has a bit of a learning curve. I may need a few pointers in the beginning, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Thanks again -- especially for these plugins that you've made available to us. It's guys like you two that make Vera especially useful.
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person. (I guess I'm "Chaotic Neutral").

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2016, 09:13:52 pm »
It's guys like you two
In this context ... guys is a person of each gender.

Offline Quixote

« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2016, 05:51:34 pm »
I meant "people like you two."
:D
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person. (I guess I'm "Chaotic Neutral").

Offline 1937BCS

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2016, 04:13:01 pm »
I updated to the latest firmware on my Vera Plus, and my countdown timers are not working properly. Sometimes they work, but mostly they countdown partially and then go to zero with no effect on the scene. I have 5 countdown timers, so I'm in a panic.

Support tells me to open a ticket because it's a 3rd party plugin (didn't know there was anything else). They see in the logs that the timer is resetting itself, but they need time to research it (translation--nothing will be done).

Was this timer only meant for UI5 and not work on UI7? I've been using the counters for a couple of years. I appreciate if someone can give me advise and/or a workaround.

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2017, 05:10:43 am »
Was this timer only meant for UI5 and not work on UI7? I've been using the counters for a couple of years. I appreciate if someone can give me advise and/or a workaround.

I wish I had good news for you, but I don't. Countdown timers make use of the luup.call_timer() function to tick down to zero. If recent releases of UI7 break the reliability of luup.call_timer() then the plugin can't do its job.

It would be instructive to see what's being reported in the logs when the timer stalls. If there's a genuine error message then I've got a chance to see what's going wrong.

I'm on an older release of UI7 and the plugin works for me, but I haven't got a compelling reason to upgrade.

Offline 1937BCS

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2017, 12:18:44 am »
How do you stop the "firmware update" message? I'm not going to update my other unit, but that message pops up ever time I sign in.

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:25 pm »
I have a VeraEdge UI7 firmware version 1.7.2406, after reading the comment about the count down timers not working properly I thought I'd better check mine as I use it for a delayed burglar alarm trigger.

I just tested the alarm and the count down timer worked, counted down to zero and then my scene ran OK.

@1937BCS So are you saying its an intermittent problem ?

Thanks

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2017, 09:42:38 pm »
Yeah I have observed my 2 timers in the past few days and have not seen any problem...
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.