Author Topic: Does UI5 address the UPnP bug?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Quixote

Does UI5 address the UPnP bug?
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »
I was wondering if UI5 takes care of the bug that prevents us from controlling our devices with UPnP.
I have been waiting to take advantage of this feature which was supposedly part of the system when I bought my Vera2 last year. I was under the impression that the Vera would convert my lights and other ZWave devices into UPnP devices that I would be able to control with any other UPnP control-point.

Has this been addressed and if not, when can we expect to see this problem corrected?

Thanks.
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person. (I guess I'm "Chaotic Neutral").

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
Re: Does UI5 address the UPnP bug?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:31:15 pm »
After wrongly blaming guessed's Weather plugin for breaking the UPnP visibility of Vera, I analyzed the problem in detail:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,1435.msg59759.html#msg59759

<Rant>
No reaction so far from MCV - once again, MCV doesn't seem to care at all and doesn't seem to honour the labour that went into debugging the problem.
</Rant>

So it might depend on the load of your Vera and on the timeout of your UPnP Control Point. Of course, that doesn't rule out that there is a bug in MiOS that is responsible for the slow delivery of the enumeration data.

Nevertheless, you should be able to control your Z-Wave devices and your Luup plugins via UPnP - but you must know the uuid of the device and knowing the uuid requires the enumeration of UPnP devices to work (at least if you're going the non-hardcoded route).

Offline Quixote

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:29 pm »
Ok, thanks.
Can you sum up the thread that you pointed me to so I don't need to spend my entire weekend reading about this issue? ;)

I have used a few different UPnP device discovery apps and programs on my computer and phone and have never seen the Vera make an appearance.

I should see it as I do with my router and media player.

Thanks.

Note: I am not using UI5 yet.
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person. (I guess I'm "Chaotic Neutral").

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:29:32 am »
Ap15e: when you're done summarizing that thread I could use a cup of coffee, lol    :P
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:04:51 am »
The summary of the UPnP part of the discussion is my message I pointed to.

To put my findings into other words:
If Vera isn't visible from your favourite UPnP Control Point, chances are that Vera takes too long to deliver the list of UPnP devices to your UPnP Control Point. The root cause must be analyzed and fixed by MCV as I don't have access to the LuaUPnP source code.

Offline Quixote

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:27:55 pm »
Thanks, Ap15e.
I had looked at the message you had pointed to, but it was a bit above my level of understanding. I guess I get the general idea.
I have not been able to detect any UPnP devices created by the Vera with any control points/detection applications at all. I guess they all must have timeouts that too short for the Vera to handle.
What a bummer.

Anyway...  about that coffee?  ;)

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:43:41 am »
@Ap15e
I forwarded your findings to Aaron.