Author Topic: Notifications Hook  (Read 19476 times)

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
Notifications Hook
« on: February 17, 2012, 05:01:08 pm »
It would be nice if there was a Hook Function in the notification system so that plugins could change the implementation of Notifications. Something like:

luup.RegisterNotificationService(NotificationFunctionName, NotificationDevice)

Then before sending notifications to cp.mios.com it could call the registered notifications services:

boolean NotificationFunctionName(NotifyUserList, Message)

Return true if the function calling the hook should continue with normal processing and send info on to cp.mios.com.
Then we could use our own push notification system to send out messages and the existing UI would not have to change. We would not need custom luup scripts for non MCV notification services.

On my machine I would luv to have all notifications go out through VeraAlert. I would modify the VeraAlert plugin to map the userids to VeraAlert notification tags  before calling the notification as it does today.

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Notifications Hook
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 06:57:04 pm »
Yup, the core of this is already captured in:
    http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=1257

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:03:16 pm »
I see it is UI4 deferred ... is it in UI5 ?

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:22 pm »
I reset that to get them to notice.  Folks should feel free to chime in support for this here, since not everyone may have bug access...

Offline ChrisAZ

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:33:39 am »
Chiming in. I've been using Vera Alert for months and integrating into many of my scripts. Would love to have it leverage the existing notification infrastructure.

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:24:47 pm »
Add me to the list.  I would LOVE it if somehow Prowl could be added as a system-wide service.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »
I was just thinking the other night that something like this would be nice!  So +1.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline ufd108

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »
Add me to the list.  I would LOVE it if somehow Prowl could be added as a system-wide service.

I second that.  I just started using Prowl and it would be great if it were natively supported.

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:18:52 pm »
waaaait for meeeeeeeee   ;D
its not that i dont like the message service of mios and micasiverdi but so far i am not able to set that nice V for it to enable.. my phone didnt get no sms to confirm things working.  no mail also.. confirmation was in the built-in message thing.
so to not be totally dependent of this service i would like to run my own.. i have dedicated 100mbit fd internet and the stuff here is all on gbit network, even the wifi runs 585mbs which all can run this messaging a lot faster. not to mention storage of video recordings . it would be nice to have an option to advanced users to redirect this traffic to our own server. just in case..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:54:48 pm by Da_JoJo »
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline khyizang

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 04:50:53 pm »
As a newbie, I was surprised to find this was not already in place. 

I assumed it would be.  Add me to the list of folks who eagerly await this development.

Offline chixxi

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 05:31:03 am »
nice important feature I totally support! I started coding on a prowl plugin, but then realized it want be no good without the mentioned hook to integrate with the existing system notifications...
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline shapa

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:00:10 am »
To be honest, I'm very impressed how advanced Vera3 is...  But one thing is shockingly disappointing - in fact, notification system is very basic one (any modern monitoring tool is far more advanced)

1) smtp(s) is vitally important. For example, I'd like to use private SMS gateway (as Vodafone UK not supports email->sms). It is not a good idea to relay on US-based Micasaverde server when you are located in the EU.

2) growl / prowl would be amazing as well (or, at least, push notifications to the native Micasaverde iOS application)

3) Directly connected USB modem (to send SMS old-fashion way) - could be extremely useful for security reasons (for example when burglars disconnected your house from the internet)

etc

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:16:06 am »
To be honest, I'm very impressed how advanced Vera3 is...  But one thing is shockingly disappointing - in fact, notification system is very basic one (any modern monitoring tool is far more advanced)

1) smtp(s) is vitally important. For example, I'd like to use private SMS gateway (as Vodafone UK not supports email->sms). It is not a good idea to relay on US-based Micasaverde server when you are located in the EU.

Have a look here for smtps support:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9991.0.html

2) growl / prowl would be amazing as well (or, at least, push notifications to the native Micasaverde iOS application)

Micasaverde does not have any native iOS application. All apps for the Apple iOS platform and Android platform are from 3rd party developers.

- Garrett

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 03:08:22 pm »
Shapa,   garrettwp
    Just about any notification scheme can be implemented with some work and appropriately placed luup calls.

This thread is to promote MCV to make changes so that any notification strategy can be converted to a plugin and the existing Notification UI (on Scene events and devices) can be used to without having to put LUUP calls everywhere. I assume you are both in favor of this.

Offline oTi@

• Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:00:46 am »
Have been using Prowl for any and all notification needs.
Dezwaved at the moment...