Author Topic: Firmware Release Today?  (Read 11744 times)

Offline chixxi

Firmware Release Today?
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:47:13 am »
So will there be a new firmware today?! Or has it been postponed again like the last 5 times?
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
Re: Firmware Release Today?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:23:59 am »
There will be only a private beta release.

Offline frichter09

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:24:30 am »
Chixxi,

I hope, hope, hope it is going to be released today.
Anyways..... Happy Friday.

Florian
Vera Lite (1), Kwikset Locks (2), 2Gig-CT30 Thermostat (1), D-Link IP Cam (1), Evolve DM-15 (1), Evolve LRM-15(AS) (4), Evolve LFM-20 (1), Evolve LSM-15 (1), Everspring Sensor (1), Intermatic HA02C (6), Intermatic HA03C (4), Wayne-Dalton HA-03WD (2), MCV Smart Switch (1)

Offline frichter09

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:26:37 am »
Wow...
Looks like it will be postponed again....

There will be only a private beta release.
Vera Lite (1), Kwikset Locks (2), 2Gig-CT30 Thermostat (1), D-Link IP Cam (1), Evolve DM-15 (1), Evolve LRM-15(AS) (4), Evolve LFM-20 (1), Evolve LSM-15 (1), Everspring Sensor (1), Intermatic HA02C (6), Intermatic HA03C (4), Wayne-Dalton HA-03WD (2), MCV Smart Switch (1)

Offline chixxi

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:18 am »
@mcvflorin: So you're a liar: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9472.msg63893.html#msg63893

Congratulation on fooling your customers & developers again. Thank you.

With that step from micasa verde the free support I am giving in this forum is canceled, the free development of any of the plugins  I was working on is canceled, and the free updates I planned on my plugins are canceled. Don't know if I will ever continue. I will, just like micasaverde, do private releases for myself.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:14:51 am by chixxi »
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:02 am »
@mcvflorin: So you're a liar: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9472.msg63893.html#msg63893

The firmware was supposed to to be released on that day for the beta testers and today for everyone. But some pretty major bugs have been found during testing and the release has been postponed. I posted what I knew at that time. Now I learned my lesson and won't rush to give answers about the release date until I'm 100% sure that the firmware will actually be released.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:58:43 am »

Congratulation on fooling your customers & developers again. Thank you.

With that step from micasa verde the free support I am giving in this forum is canceled, the free development of any of the plugins  I was working on is canceled, and the free updates I planned on my plugins are canceled. Don't know if I will ever continue. I will, just like micasaverde, do private releases for myself.
It is indeed frustrating, but I for one am grateful to @mcvflorin for being active on the board and sharing with us what is known (or thinks is known).  Regression testing finds bugs and sometimes you need to make a decision that is right for the platform.  We all benefit from the open collaboration of this forum.

Offline chixxi

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 12:15:41 pm »
It is indeed frustrating, but I for one am grateful to @mcvflorin for being active on the board and sharing with us what is known (or thinks is known).  Regression testing finds bugs and sometimes you need to make a decision that is right for the platform.  We all benefit from the open collaboration of this forum.

I completely agree. My absolutely greatest respect to the huge number of active users in this forum, including @mcvflorin. I have never ever seen such an active forum, it is straight out amazing how fast questions are answered over and over again with an unbelievable speed. The quality of all discussions and answers is very high in regard to the fact that no rules exist at all. I truly think this forum is extremely unique.

That is the reason I became active. But I also see that this forum is based on few super users which do a whole lot of support work, and that micasa verde is not communicating at all (except mcvflorin), I mean look at the last dates they posted in this forum, their's not even an official release post about the actual firmware anywhere here. I have the opinion that micasa verde needs to contribute more.

Offline Otje

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 12:27:32 pm »
@mcvflorin: we all appreciate your work and that you are active in this forum. I understand it can be frustrating for you and the vera users that you can not always commit firmly to new releases, but at least you are sharing this with us.
I believe we all benefit more from a stable, but delayed release rather then a quick release with bugs enclosed.
Pls keep up the good work and i trust we can still be a bit patient :)

@chixxi: i am following your posts since some time and you are really helping the vera user platform. It would be a great loss when you are not active anymore on this forum. Please hang in... the product will only become better to all of us.
Many of us selected the vera because of it very open platform and possibilities, so i guess there will still be some fine-tuning to do for MCV and the forum members, but it is really interesting to see what new features or possibilities are becoming available over time. I appreciate your work.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:06:52 pm by otterlo »
VERA Plus, VERA 3 Lite , couple of PIR's, several switch units, wall mounted tablet, Sonos integration with TTS, Temperature sensors, Imperihome, Zwave LED bulbs

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29:30 pm »
That has been expressed to them more than a few times...  including:
  • Clear, regular, communications
  • Regular builds/drops
  • Reduce the scope of work so you can be thorough on what is executed
  • Fix regressions before features
  • Incremental features, released only when truly ready
  • Design in release compatibility, or be prepared to loose your Plugin developers
  • "use the product, and you'll know"

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:39:42 pm »
I posted what I knew at that time. Now I learned my lesson and won't rush to give answers about the release date until I'm 100% sure that the firmware will actually be released.

Please continue to post this info!  We all want to hear tentative release dates, announcements for new patches, and keep track of what you guys are working on.  Even hearing a planned release date get pushed back is better than hearing nothing at all, which sadly is more or less the norm.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline chixxi

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »
@guessed: speaking out of my hard but also making me hopeless.

even hearing a planned release date get pushed back is better than hearing nothing at all
true, mcvflorin is the last spark of communication from micasa verde.

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 01:02:43 pm »
We actually get a lot of pressure to release a new firmware, both internally (especially from the Tech Support team) and externally. We just don't want to repeat the UI5 launch experience.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:04 pm »
The personal insult is not acceptable at all. Have your vent just keep not a personal attack or question their personal integrity!  Also remember the old saying don't shoot the messenger - they won't come back around.

I would prefer a delay to a firmware release again then more defect being released to all users.
I do accept the frustrations, however it is how you articulate it is whether or not you'll get your point across.

Totally concur with @guessed comments.
@mcvflorin maybe broaden the list of beta tester might settle things for a few that do provide a valuable effort to both this forum and plugins. There are some that will either promote the product or slam it openly and they must also accept that if they became a beta tester, what that should entail. Do they have a test bed or using their live system. I'm up for it, I also magage this as my job.

A good example of another project and testing see raspberrypi.org.

I also would prefer to hear about a roadmap for MCV's releases.

Offline autotoronto

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 03:31:06 pm »
We just don't want to repeat the UI5 launch experience.
I'm curious to know MCV's opinion of what the UI5 launch experience was, and what they've learned from it.