Author Topic: Insteon devices just stopped working....  (Read 2586 times)

Offline mpovolo

Insteon devices just stopped working....
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:59 pm »
For some reason the insteon device I had plugged in through USB just stopped working with Vera 3.  I have removed, unpowered, re-added, nothing works.  Any ideas.

I can't remember the device model, you plug it into the wall, then USB cable into vera, it's the controller.

thanks

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
    • Altsteon
Re: Insteon devices just stopped working....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:46:59 pm »
The device you are thinking of is the PLM.

By "just stopped working", do you mean that the PLM is dead?  (Is the LED on the side lit?  If you press and hold the set button, does it beep?)  If it doesn't beep when you press and hold the set button, then the PLM is probably fried.  You'll want to call whoever you bought it from to see if they can help you troubleshoot and get it replaced.

Or, by "just stopped working" do you mean that the devices you are trying to control can no longer be controlled?   If this is the case, then it is possible that your PLM's all-link database (ALDB) got blanked out somehow.   I know I inflicted this on myself a few times by forgetting that the "reset" command for the PLM is a factory reset and will clear the ALDB.  IIRC, in the native Vera Insteon support, there is a "reset" button.  I suspect it does the factory reset as well, since the developer documentation doesn't seem to list any other type of reset.

Assuming that your ALDB got trashed, you need to relink all of your devices.  You can do that the manual way, or you should be able to delete the devices from the Vera and then add them back one at a time.  (Make sure you know their addresses prior to deleting them!)  It is possible to manually add the links back in without going through deleting and readding, but that would involve some pretty serious LUUP code to pull it off or another tool that can update the database.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline mpovolo

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:11:05 am »
So yes I get the beeps and the LED's work.  I try adding them in again after deleting the devices, but they never show up.  I tried different methods, but basically I go to setup-instean, add device, press the button on the unit.

Offline mpovolo

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:22:54 am »
And also, now my USB port continuously flashes non stop. But still no Insteon

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
    • Altsteon
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:15:52 am »
Odd.  It sounds almost like the Vera has lost track of the PLM.   I assume you have tried rebooting the Vera?

You could also install Altsteon on a different machine, fire up the cli and type "plm dump_aldb".   When my PLM has lost its mind, the results that come back from that call are usually all FFs, though once in a great while nothing comes back.   When I have seen the all FFs, I have been able to "fix" it by unplugging the PLM and plugging it back in.

I think what I would try is (in this order) unplug the PLM, disconnect it from the Vera, unplug the Vera, connect the PLM to the Vera, plug the PLM back in, then plug the Vera back in.   This should cause everything to get to a "clean" state.  If it still doesn't work after doing this, then there is something deeper that is wrong.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation