Author Topic: Adding support for "abnormal" Insteon devices..  (Read 1391 times)

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
    • Altsteon
Adding support for "abnormal" Insteon devices..
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:00:54 pm »
I was wondering if it would be possible to get support for some of the devices that Altsteon exposes.   While most Insteon devices work fine, there are some that need to be tweaked, and some that just don't work.

An example of one that needs to be tweaked is the door locks.  The (crappy) door lock support for Insteon doesn't allow you to poll the state of the lock, so you can never be 100% sure what state it is in without going and physically looking at the lock.   For these locks, having separate "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons in AutHomation would be really handy.  (That is how it is exposed through the plugin to Vera.)

Two examples of devices that just don't work are the Garage Hawk and the EzFlora.   With the Garage Hawk, it should act like a normal trigger sensor.  However, the state doesn't seem to get communicated.  (This is very possibly a bug in that part of the plugin.)  But, the Garage Hawk also provides state such as "open", "opening", "closing", "closed", and also has a command to close the door (but not open it).   

There doesn't seem to be any sprinkler control that matches up with existing UPnP files, so supporting the EzFlora would be a "from scratch" effort.   However, if the EtherRain8 is already supported in AutHomation, I can adapt the EzFlora module to use the same service ids.  That would probably get support for the EzFlora about 75% of the way there.   The main difference would be supporting the 5 different programs that the EzFlora can do.   It looked like the EtherRain8 only supported 1.

I'd be happy to provide information and testing to get it supported.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Adding support for "abnormal" Insteon devices..
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:14:52 am »
An example of one that needs to be tweaked is the door locks.  The (crappy) door lock support for Insteon doesn't allow you to poll the state of the lock, so you can never be 100% sure what state it is in without going and physically looking at the lock.   For these locks, having separate "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons in AutHomation would be really handy.  (That is how it is exposed through the plugin to Vera.)

I have received several requests to make the toggle buttons on and off, or lock and unlock. I will be adding this into the next version which I am working on right now. It is going under some heavy changes to unify the UI for both tablets and googletv and there are other changes under the hood.

Two examples of devices that just don't work are the Garage Hawk and the EzFlora.   With the Garage Hawk, it should act like a normal trigger sensor.  However, the state doesn't seem to get communicated.  (This is very possibly a bug in that part of the plugin.)  But, the Garage Hawk also provides state such as "open", "opening", "closing", "closed", and also has a command to close the door (but not open it).   

There doesn't seem to be any sprinkler control that matches up with existing UPnP files, so supporting the EzFlora would be a "from scratch" effort.   However, if the EtherRain8 is already supported in AutHomation, I can adapt the EzFlora module to use the same service ids.  That would probably get support for the EzFlora about 75% of the way there.   The main difference would be supporting the 5 different programs that the EzFlora can do.   It looked like the EtherRain8 only supported 1.

I'd be happy to provide information and testing to get it supported.

If you are willing to provide me your lu_sdata, I can see what I can do. At the moment I do not know if EtherRain8 works with my app as I do not have any data for it. Most likely it does not.

You can retrieve the lu_sdata by going to the following link:

http://ip:3480/data_request?id=lu_sdata

Where ip is the vera ip address. Before you send it off, please go through the data and carefully remove any passwords or sensitive data you might have. You can take the data and put it into a json formatter found here: http://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/ to have the data be easily readable. You can than send the data to authomation at garrettpower dot com.

- Garrett