Author Topic: Want to replace Lux 500 thermostat ....recommendations? Just got my first Vera  (Read 2954 times)

Offline wthorpe

• Sr. Newbie
Just bought my first Vera Lite...starting to add lights/door locks.  I have three Lux 500 thermostats for three zones and want to convert to Z wave....I have no clue about options...any suggestions for a easy to install, straightforward thermostat?  Thanks. ::)

Offline mundyb

What type of system do you have?  If it's an air to air system with some sort of zone control, you will need to make sure any new stat will work with that zone board.  If you need a line voltage thermostat you're out of luck (at least as far as an "easy to install" solution).  Other than that it just depends on your setup, as to what kind, and how easy, the conversion will be.

Enjoy the Vera.  Keep up with the boards here, very valuable information especially for those of us running UI5.

Offline boingolover

• Sr. Newbie
In my case, I'm using a honeywell zone controller board and the thermostats connect using standard 4 wire + C (R, Y, W, G, C).  The zone controller provides C to each thermostat, and there is nothing "special" about the requirements for the thermostats themselves.  I went with the Intermatic CA8900, found them over at automatedoutlet.com for $45 each.

Offline mundyb

I'm really glad that Honeywell went the open route with their zone boards.  You can use most any standard thermostat with it.  I have not had any experience with the Intermatic thermostats per se, but you should be able to easily get it installed and working.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Offline boingolover

• Sr. Newbie
mundyb, I installed them earlier this week and they're fine.  As a lot of other people have mentioned, the CA8900's don't seem as well engineered / built as other thermostats out there, but they are working fine for me so far, and can't beat the price.

Offline hugheaves

I'll put in a plug for the Radio Thermostat / Filtrete 3M-50 thermostat from Home Depot. It controls most systems (multi-stage heat pump, etc.) and costs less than $100. It's Wi-Fi instead of z-wave, but works very well with Vera using this plugin:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_wifi-thermostat

Disclaimer: I happened to write the plug-in. :)

Hugh
The HA "collection" so far: MiCasaVerde: 1x VeraLite, RTCOA: 3x 3M-50, GE: 1x 45606, 3x 45613, 5x 54614, Kwikset: 1x 99100-004, Intermatic: 6x CA3000, 6x CA600, 8x HA01, 2x HA02, 12x HA03, 2x HA04, 3x HA05,  6x HA07, 7x HA09, Honeywell: 1x Vista 20P, NuTech: 1x AD2USB