We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Authomation on Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS  (Read 6667 times)

Offline yonorri

Authomation on Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:15:41 am »
OK, I've just updated my GT-I9100 to ICS and Authomation no longer works  :'(

From the market place:
AutHomation
Garrett Power(9)
Installed - This app is incompatible with your Vodafone Samsung GT-I9100.

and

AutHomationHD
Garrett Power(2)
Installed - This app is compatible with your Vodafone Samsung GT-I9100.

OK so the installed bit of the AutHomation section refers to the fact that it was installed under Gingerbread, but is now labelled as incompatible.

The HD version states it is compatible and downloads but will not install anywhere.

I know it's probably a bit early to be sorting ICS problems on phones where the official release is not out but I thought I'd get my problem in early :)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Authomation on Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:55:08 pm »
I have AutHomationHD running on my phones that have ics on them, a HTC Evo and DROID X. I also have it running on my Asus Transformer which got an official build of ics on Friday. It should run on your phone. Try and remove all versions of AutHomation from the phone and install AutHomationHD From the market. If you are still having issues, let me know. I am in the process of working on Version 2.0 which will have many changes.

- Garrett

Offline mundyb

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »
I recently upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus on VZW which runs ICS.  The only problem I have is that it is much slower to update, and is just generally a little sluggish.  It works great on my Xoom and the original Galaxy Tab.  What is your experience with ICS?

Thank you for your work on this product

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:15:15 pm »
FWIW I have only ever used AutHomation on ICS and aside from the occasional crash (which I believe to not be related to AutHomation) it runs quite well.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:14 pm »
Odd that you are experiencing slowness on the galaxy nexus. Speed on my Evo and DROID X are fast and that is two year old hardware running on an ice cream build not optimized for the phones. When you say slow to update, is that when getting data? What type of sluggishness? My boss has a galaxy nexus, I'll load it on his phone and test it out.

- Garrett

Offline mundyb

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »
Yes, mainly when updating device statuses.  I find that if I'm wanting to open it up to flick on a light I end up standing in a dark room for a bit waiting for the UI to catch up with the current device status, and in turn changing the status to on. 

Of course, as I write this I have been testing it and it's responding superbly.  I'll try to pay more attention to what's happening with the phone the next time I catch it acting up.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:41:21 pm »
If you go without updating the data for some time, the app is most likely doing a full refresh. This is because while getting the data, Vera most likely said in the data file, "many things changed and it requires a full data refresh" .

- Garrett

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21:44 am »
If you go without updating the data for some time, the app is most likely doing a full refresh. This is because while getting the data, Vera most likely said in the data file, "many things changed and it requires a full data refresh" .

- Garrett

Is it possible (or even desired?) to do regular background updates so when the app is opened it never has to do a full refresh? I find I have the same problem frequently where a lot has changed and am waiting for a full refresh. 

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:05:11 pm »
The code that gets the data is designed as a service, so it can run in the background if the app is not currently open. I currently have this service stop when you leave the app as I did not want it to eat into the users battery life. I will look into adding an option to allow the service run in the background when the app is not open. It will require some thinking as I have a few things tied into the service to communicate to the UI layer of the app and of course add additional checks etc.

- Garrett

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:01:16 am »
I have added an option in the preferences to enable background refreshing of data. You will be able to enable/disable this feature and also set the amount of time between getting data. Right now I have it so it will not wake up the device if it is sleeping. I can add another option to allow for it to wake up the device when it needs to get data. Having that option could case the batter to drain faster if the poll time is set to a short range. I just wanted to put that warning out there. This feature will be available in the next release. I am hoping to have a public beta of the next release out very soon.

- Garrett

Offline yonorri

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:15:29 am »
OK, found the issue when trying to install from  the 'market' directly on the phone, rather than using the ' meerkat' from a PC.

Error

Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card.

OK

Can I know the location required for install so I can check the file permissions are correct.

As an aside I also have a backup of Authomation 1.2 from my pre-ICS install which refuses to re-install I'm assuming for the same reason as the restore operation just sits around trying to install but with no success.

M.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:20:33 am by yonorri »

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:32 am »
Very odd, it should choose the sd card if one exist, if not it should install on the internal flash. I made a change in the manifest file of both apps. Would you be willing to test a beta build of the new version and let me know if it installed correctly?

- Garrett

Offline yonorri

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:59:39 am »
Totally happy to do some testing, especially on an app I'd like to get working again  :D

M.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 11:33:23 am »
email me at authomation at garrettpower dot com. I'll send you a link.

- Garrett

Offline Grain

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:48:02 am »
There were issues with some CM9 builds and secure containers on SGSII which caused some apps not to be installed.
This just as info :-)

I'll test the current version of the app on the latest nightly today and report back.