We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Public Beta Build of Version 2.0 (Closed: Official Release in Market)  (Read 52027 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Public Beta Build of Version 2.0
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 11:39:25 am »
Richard,
 Thanks for the info. I use a database to store the data and update the data in the database as new data arrives using lu_sdata with the loadtime and dataversion parameters. As of right now I have decided to stick with lu_sdata. Going with user_data would solve maybe an issue or two, but would not be worth the effort to rewrite. I still face the issue on what serviceid to use. I have asked MCV awhile ago to include the serviceId in the lu_sdata as well as the device_type. Hopefully that is something that can be added in the near future. They have already added additional data that should be available in the next beta.

- Garrett

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »
Is Version 2.0 dependent on UI5 ?
I have not downloaded yet because I assumed it was ... But you know what they say about those that assume ...  :D

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 03:46:34 pm »
No, it should not be dependent on UI5. It should work without issue in UI4 minus a few things that were introduced in UI5 for fixes. If you load it, let me know how it goes. 

- Garrett

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »
I'll fix up the Caddx plugin to use the same service id. Migrating it without messing with users will be tricky, but that's my problem, not Garrett's.

Edit: grammar
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:44:57 pm by futzle »

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 04:15:38 pm »
Version 2.0 beta works just fine on my V1@1.1.1338.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Re: Public Beta Build of Version 2.0
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »
Version 2.0 beta works just fine on my V1@1.1.1338.

Thanks Ap15e for confirming. I was going to try it on my fathers unit as he is still running on UI4.

- Garrett

Offline chixxi

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:07 am »
As for "virtual switch" and "info container", these plugins are not supported.

Any chance to change you mind about that topic? I think these two are some of the most used plugins as for the moment. I'd be glad to provide any info you need, and also do the testing for it. Or can you tell me why you are rejecting support so I could improve them according to your wishes?

Will be testing the beta on my Sony Tablet S (Honeycomp 3.2.1) tonight and report back as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:59:37 am by chixxi »
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 07:49:57 am »
I made the switch to this beta yesterday. I haven't had any crashes or anything like that yet, so, so far so good.

BTW have you been getting my crash reports? I always give them the title "crash".

On a note unrelated to stability, I don't like having to select a device and open a new window to control it. If I want to dim a light or unlock my door I have to go through more steps now. Is this something you could make optional? I'm not sure I understand why this change to the UI was made.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 10:46:33 am »
installed 2.0  looks nice but i like the old way of switches better.  first there was a toggle switch and now i get this poppup with the switch , it takes more space and its less usefull this way. for the rest its a major improvement :-)
when i press an unknown device presented with a ? (questionmark) the app immediatly crashes. (powercontroller for mce and heliotrope)

i use:
-vera light (ver 1.5.322) connected to asus n56u router
-dell streak 2.3.2 android phone connected to t-mobile internet

p.s. is there support for other languages ?  i can translate for you if you need any .. dutch/german/french/croatian/greek
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:49:54 am by Da_JoJo »
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline chixxi

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:19 pm »
OK, I tested AutHomation on my Sony Tablet S running on Honeycomp 3.2.1 together with a vera3 running on 1.5.322.

The App runs very stable, I had only one crash up to now when changing the sort order from section to room. I do like the wish which was already posted that the most important commands could be made without opening a popup first, but that's just a wish. Some things I found/thought:

I don't really think it's a bug: No battery levels of any sensors are shown (only the variable value in "info").

As already mentioned the wwa-02 temperature and leak sensor is not shown correctly. It has an arm and bypass button, which it does not have on the vera. But it seems to have this function to be able to arm it.

I think it would be nice if the room selected would stay selected when browsing through the top menu "Scenes-Devices-All-Favorites". But that's only what I think.

In all the non recognized devices I can see the devices variables by going to "info". Instead of showing a question mark I would just show these variables. For a lot of plugins this would already be great. For example the VariableContainer Plugin  ;D of course you wouldn't be able to set the variables. But you could already read a whole lot of things like states, times and temperatures.

And still my greatest wish: Give the VirtualSwitch from apps.mios.com a chance. But I also saw that this thread already includes a major discussion about the serviceid topic.

That was just short testing. Will post if further bugs/wishes occur.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:09:35 pm by chixxi »
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 12:23:10 pm »
As for "virtual switch" and "info container", these plugins are not supported.

Any chance to change you mind about that topic? I think these two are some of the most used plugins as for the moment. I'd be glad to provide any info you need, and also do the testing for it. Or can you tell me why you are rejecting support so I could improve them according to your wishes?

Will be testing the beta on my Sony Tablet S (Honeycomp 3.2.1) tonight and report back as soon as possible.

Looks like I have a lot of responding to do. I'll start with yours first Chixxi. I am not against supporting your plugins. I would love to support them! The lu_sdata only provides so much and I have no way of knowing what type of device your plugin is. I have requested to have MCV provide the device_type and serviceId into the lu_sdata to help figure out what device is what. By knowing the serviceId of the device and plugin, I can easily add support for these sort of things.

- Garrett

Offline chixxi

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »
sorry, finally got home a took a closer look at your approach with lu_sdata and the very interesting discussion you had in this thread with futzle. And I realized/understood to late that the data you need is just not provided. Didn't want to stress you, I think it would be great for general user experience, and I am glad you're positive too.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 12:30:43 pm »
I made the switch to this beta yesterday. I haven't had any crashes or anything like that yet, so, so far so good.

BTW have you been getting my crash reports? I always give them the title "crash".

On a note unrelated to stability, I don't like having to select a device and open a new window to control it. If I want to dim a light or unlock my door I have to go through more steps now. Is this something you could make optional? I'm not sure I understand why this change to the UI was made.

There are many reasons for the new layout. Here they are:

- By going with the new layout, I have unified the whole UI across tablets, googletv and phones. This also allowed me to consolidate much of the code to make it much easier to maintain.
- Going with the dialog for the devices allows me to keep each and every device in it's own code base. Making modifications to one device will not affect other devices. This also allows me to provide more data and actions in the dialog. The old way had all of the UI elements in one layout and the code also in one code base and it was getting harder to maintain and making changes could have caused issues with other devices.
- It may not make sense now, but having the new layout also allows me to have more devices being displayed at one time to get an overview of what device is doing what. The old layout wasted space per each device.

I apologize for these changes and I hope that you understand.

- Garrett

p.s. here is a revised layout for the phone that allows for more device to be displayed. I still need to tweak.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:43:16 pm by garrettwp »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 12:32:07 pm »
.... it also works a ton better for D-Pad navigation on GoogleTV!

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »
installed 2.0  looks nice but i like the old way of switches better.  first there was a toggle switch and now i get this poppup with the switch , it takes more space and its less usefull this way. for the rest its a major improvement :-)
when i press an unknown device presented with a ? (questionmark) the app immediatly crashes. (powercontroller for mce and heliotrope)

i use:
-vera light (ver 1.5.322) connected to asus n56u router
-dell streak 2.3.2 android phone connected to t-mobile internet

p.s. is there support for other languages ?  i can translate for you if you need any .. dutch/german/french/croatian/greek

See directed to S-F above for some explanations. Switching from the toggle to the off/on buttons was a request by a few users. it also follows the UI guidelines that many off the other apps use. The reason for the off/on was that some were having issues with not being able to properly send the correct off/on command to a device that either had range issues or was not providing the correct status at that time. By having the off/on, if you want to make sure that the device needs to be off, you simple press the off button and the off command will be sent. The toggle button would do the opposite of what the status of that device was. So you  would have to press it several times to get the correct state you wanted.

For the crash, would you be willing to provide me your data so I can have a look? It looks like something in the lu_sdata is not playing well with the app.

As for the wasted space, I have reworked the phone layout that now provides around 6 devices on the screen at once. I still need to tweak it. The old layout actually wasted more space even though you had the controls there. The new layout is suppose to provide you the overview and any actions needed, you simply press on it and you have all of the controls there. I know it is an extra click.

As for other languages, I have not done anything yet. I need to consolidate all of the static strings, e.g. menus  and settings into a file to allow for other languages.

- Garrett