We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Public Beta Build of Version 2.0 (Closed: Official Release in Market)  (Read 52419 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Public Beta Build of Version 2.0
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 12:42:17 pm »
.... it also works a ton better for D-Pad navigation on GoogleTV!

Still some issues to work out, but yes it is much better to move around on the screen. I do hope people understand where my direction is going. It is very hard to please everyone.

- Garrett

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »
sorry, finally got home a took a closer look at your approach with lu_sdata and the very interesting discussion you had in this thread with futzle. And I realized/understood to late that the data you need is just not provided. Didn't want to stress you, I think it would be great for general user experience, and I am glad you're positive too.

Glad you understand where I am coming from. The big reason for the lu_sdata is the size. For example, my user_data2 is over 500KB and the lu_sdata is only 14.5KB. Do you see the difference. Also the changes between the two formats are also smaller for the lu_sdata as well. This was a compromise to keep bandwidth down for phone users. I have hope that lu_sdata will get more information available to help with 3rd party development. MCV has already added additional information for me into the lu_sdata that should be available in the coming betas. e.g. battery status which you have mentioned in your previous post.

I think it would be nice if the room selected would stay selected when browsing through the top menu "Scenes-Devices-All-Favorites". But that's only what I think.

This should work under 3.2. It should highlight the selected room when going back and forth between tabs. For some reason, under Ice Cream, it does not do this anymore and I can not figure out why. I am using the proper method to highlight the room when it resumes to that tab. I am aware of this and working on a way to fix it.

When you click on the info for that device and you see all of those variables in the dialog window, that is pulling the data from vera directly using "id=status&output_format=json&DeviceNum=deviceid". So it is polling vera for the status of the device and I am just simply parsing the json data to display it.

Can you reproduce the crash when doing the sorting again? If is happens again, can you provide me your data so I can track the bug down?

- Garrett

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 01:00:58 pm »
@garrettwp,
I like the way it's heading, the two big items for me now (as a GTV User) are:

a) More Devices displayed concurrently in the grid .... each one being smaller (of course)
b) Simplification/Consolidation of the secondary controls (sorters, menu buttons etc) to reduce the clutter on the screen

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:01 pm »
@garrettwp,

a) More Devices displayed concurrently in the grid .... each one being smaller (of course)
b) Simplification/Consolidation of the secondary controls (sorters, menu buttons etc) to reduce the clutter on the screen

Guessed,

How is this:

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 01:29:32 pm »
@garrettwp,
One thing that might ease problem solving for you is to add an option to "email" the lu_sdata to you.  This could be an option in your Developer menu (etc) but it'll save people having to compose the right kind of URL to fetch it (remotely, locally, etc)

Activating it would fetch the latest [full] lu_sdata, and fire up Email with this as an attachment... ready for the user to "send" it to you (with appropriate disclosures, of course)

Just a thought...

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 01:34:13 pm »
Great idea. I'll look into adding that. Would make things so much easier.

- Garrett

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 01:34:35 pm »
Better.  I was hoping to reduce the left Rooms Menu, using smaller fonts, and merge and/or eliminate the far-left and far-right items so I could get a 4x3 grid of Devices (my TV is 50", so these turn out to be quite big)

It would be interesting to know the avg Devices/Room in a "typical" Vera unit, since having most of those fit on a single page, without scrolling, would also be handy...

BTW: What does the Eye do in the right menu?  I clicked it a bunch and couldn't tell what it was doing...

@garrettwp,

Guessed,

How is this:

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 01:42:09 pm »
Let me see what I can do with some more adjusting. The eye is to show and hide devices or scenes that were hidden. I need to implement a tool tip when going to each icon so you know what it does.

- Garrett

Offline drag0n

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:28 pm »
The new version looks great on my kindle fire!
I think it could be useful if along with devices and scenes you would add a third category for sensors. Although technically they are devices in practice they have quite different functionality and I believe that presenting them separately will improve usability.
thank you for sharing with us this great app  :)
Vera Lite, Remotec Z-URC 550, MiniMote, TKB TZ66D, TKB TZ-71, ZXT-120, ACT ZRP200 , SmartSwitch, Quad Relay, Poly Lock & Poly Pad, SQ Blaster & SQ Blaster+, HMS100, Everspring SF812, Current Cost EnviR, RFXtrx, RollerTrol , Flamingo FA20RF

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 08:48:22 pm »
happy to supply you any file you require  (its this ? http://MY_VERA_IP:3480/data_request?id=lu_sdata&output_format=json )
i like the prog a lot and its allready most used app on my phone  ;D
would be great if you could put the on and off buttons on the same page instead of a popup still..  and maybe scroll the tile  to the left with the finger to show its variables ? maybe also a page that has only buttons for control and little text above it , so one has an sort off total control page ?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:17:18 pm by Da_JoJo »
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 09:54:52 am »
Last night I downgraded to the version on the market because of the way devices are accessed in the beta and I can say that I'm much happier with it. I know it may not sound like much but having to navigate through all kinds of different windows and hit a bunch of buttons to do something simple like turn a light on was driving me nuts.Selecting a room and then turning a light on is a much smoother process than selecting a room, selecting a device, turning it on and then hitting "done". There is lag in opening up the new window for a device so if I'm locked out of the house I would before just hit unlock on the tablet. Now it's just as complicated for me to enter my PIN. Currently everything I use this app for works pretty well in the latest public version so I don't have much of a reason to change any way. Will the option be available to continue using the current version in the future?
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:31 am »
I am sorry that you are not liking the new design. I know there is an extra step. The original way was getting to complex and hard to maintain. It also wasted space for devices that did not have much control. I have a few things I can propose to help ease the situation. I can allow the device image to implement the "toggle" state action. If a device supports this option, e.g. lights, locks, etc, it will toggle the state of the device. For example, if a light is off, issuing the toggle state would turn it on, or if a lock is unlocked, it would issue the lock state. Another thing I can offer, which I have in place right now for scenes is to have the dialog close after issuing an action. So if you press the off button on a light, the dialog will automatically close. I know this is not the exact solution to what you want, but it might be a good compromise.

As for supporting the older release, I will not be adding any additional code to it. It should function until MCV changes something on their end and breaks compatibility.

- Garrett

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 10:48:27 am »
@garrettwp,
I think there are some options here using a combination of the following features:

a) tap vs press-and-hold
b) setting components to be skipped in the keyboard-based focus traversal order
c) making the focus occur on the item they're most likely to select when the dialog appears (will change for on/off controls)
d) making some dialog selections auto-close the dialog (mostly on/off controls)

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »
I am sorry that you are not liking the new design. I know there is an extra step. The original way was getting to complex and hard to maintain. It also wasted space for devices that did not have much control. I have a few things I can propose to help ease the situation. I can allow the device image to implement the "toggle" state action. If a device supports this option, e.g. lights, locks, etc, it will toggle the state of the device. For example, if a light is off, issuing the toggle state would turn it on, or if a lock is unlocked, it would issue the lock state. Another thing I can offer, which I have in place right now for scenes is to have the dialog close after issuing an action. So if you press the off button on a light, the dialog will automatically close. I know this is not the exact solution to what you want, but it might be a good compromise.

As for supporting the older release, I will not be adding any additional code to it. It should function until MCV changes something on their end and breaks compatibility.

- Garrett

Locks and lights are basically all I can think of ATM that need this kind of interface. Changing temperature and so forth isn't used as often and wouldn't suffer much from needing to deal with a more involved interface. If you could make lights turn on and off without having to open new windows and jump through hoops it'll be fine. If I can open up the app, select the room and turn the light on or off with no additional steps I'll be happy.

Thanks for trying to work with us. I understand that the challenges of developing free software make such changes necessary and I'm glad you are taking our input seriously. Honestly, as this is ultimately your personal project we need to be satisfied with whatever you produce to suit your own needs. I'm glad for the tool and hope you continue to find personal gain in it's development.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »
I like the direction this is heading.   I do wish I had the newer layout that fits multiple columns on the screen, that looks handy.   I agree that it would be nice to be able to control the state of some devices directly from their "tile" without needing to pull up another screen.   But, at the same time I can see the advantage of having more space in the menu that pops up.   Perhaps a good middle of the road solution is to allow lights and locks to toggle when you tap the image in the tile?   It isn't obvious, but it would allow the basic control to be paired with the desire to fit more information on the screen.  Of course, it could also open a huge can of worms in dealing with the difference between devices that can handle it and devices that can't.

garrettwp -

I noticed in a previous post a quick discussion about being able to e-mail information.  It is pretty easy to do.  If you want some sample code either PM or e-mail me and I can send you some.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation