We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Public Beta Build of Version 2.0 (Closed: Official Release in Market)  (Read 53386 times)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Public Beta Build of Version 2.0 Beta 7
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »
@garrettwp,

Beta 7 has been released.
Nice work! Finally got a chance to check out your app, running on ICS-based Android-x86 port on Intel Atom (Asus EeePC).
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56:22 pm »
....runing Beta 7 (for 2.3 and older) but I'm getting the "......dont understand the request" message...I've tried with the TURN..device name ON....but got the same message...  ....I think it is my English pronunciation....then I swicthed the initial name for its traduction in english (cocina = kitchen)..but nothing happens....

.....on the other hand....everything goes excellent

I am not sure if there is anything I can do. I am using google's voice to text api's and it is dependent on the returned data for parsing. It has been functioning great for me (though my native language is English). I know radarengineer also said it has been working fine for him. Anyone with English being their second language, have they given the voice recognition a try?

This is on my Evo 3d so AutHomation. When I bought the phone we were promised ICS so hopefully soon I can switch to AutHomationHD in the future. I also have a Revue that is basically only used to run AutHomationHD on my TV, but as far as I know I can't test voice control with it :)

I am glad to hear that the voice recognition is working great on Android 2.3 and older. Since I do not have a device that runs anything lower than Android 3.1, I can only rely on the android emulator. The emulator does not contain the software for the voice recognition. So testing the voice recognition feature is pretty non existent on the older platform. I am trying to get more function added and will hopefully have it in the next release.

@garrettwp,

Beta 7 has been released.
Nice work! Finally got a chance to check out your app, running on ICS-based Android-x86 port on Intel Atom (Asus EeePC).

Glad to see that it is functioning on the EeePC. Thanks for bringing up the issues with it not running. It allowed me to make the changes needed to support more devices. The last few builds have been a little rocky due to the new bugs that I introduced when fixing the memory leaks. But I am trying my best to get them ironed out. A new bug was reported to me earlier in the day for AutHomationHD that causes the app to crash when trying to move a device to another room. I have fixed this bug and that will be in the next release.

I am not trying to focus on getting the bugs ironed out and getting this release ready for the market. If anyone has any issues or something that needs to be tweaked, please let me know.

- Garrett

Offline radarengineer

« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2012, 11:22:51 am »
@garrettwp, I noticed with a few devices that I have (ones with long names?) "turn on <device_name>" works but "turn <device_name> on" does not. My device names are currently pretty bad for voice recognition. Everything is "<roomname> lamp", "<roomname> overhead", etc. Lots of name collisions! I have not done extensive testing, but I've been doing more and more control with voice commands and it is great.

I have three devices running 2.3 (Droid 2 Global and two Evo 3ds) I'm quite happy to help with testing in any way that would be helpful (for instance, renaming my devices, or running an exhausting list of commands, etc).

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2012, 12:19:18 pm »
@garrettwp, I noticed with a few devices that I have (ones with long names?) "turn on <device_name>" works but "turn <device_name> on" does not. My device names are currently pretty bad for voice recognition. Everything is "<roomname> lamp", "<roomname> overhead", etc. Lots of name collisions! I have not done extensive testing, but I've been doing more and more control with voice commands and it is great.

I have three devices running 2.3 (Droid 2 Global and two Evo 3ds) I'm quite happy to help with testing in any way that would be helpful (for instance, renaming my devices, or running an exhausting list of commands, etc).

I have also been doing a lot of voice control as well (not only for testing but for day to day use). It has been performing pretty well for me as well. It helps to keep the device names simple, however you can say part of the name. For example if the name of the device is Kitchen Cabinet Lights, you can say [Turn On] Cabinet Lights or [Turn On] Kitchen Cabinet. As long as you say part of the name it should find any devices that contain that name and present a list if more than one is found.  I am still tweaking and it will get better in the future.

I am trying to add more commands. The more I use it, I come up with more ideas and add them. I have now added control of thermostats and more status commands e.g. battery level, etc. More to come. I still need to write documentation for this as well.

If you have any suggestions or something you like to see in the voice recognition, please let me know. I should have an update released tonight / tomorrow that will fix more bugs and contain additional voice commands.

- Garrett

P.S. I have stopped adding any new features  and will focus on getting the bugs worked out and finishing the voice recognition. Once everything seems pretty stable (hopefully soon), I will release to the market. I plan to have widgets, camera streaming, and other features in future releases (2.1 and newer).

Offline conchordian

3-in-1 not shown
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2012, 12:54:50 am »
Have you tried the beta version of AutHomation?

- Garrett

I have now, thanks, and it's much better.  It doesn't pick up the temperature & light level of my 3 in 1 motion sensor (http://zwave.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=19) though, unfortunately.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: 3-in-1 not shown
« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2012, 01:14:53 am »
Have you tried the beta version of AutHomation?

- Garrett

I have now, thanks, and it's much better.  It doesn't pick up the temperature & light level of my 3 in 1 motion sensor (http://zwave.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=19) though, unfortunately.

Would you be willing to provide me your lu_sdata and an image of the device that is displayed by vera's control panel? I can than add support.

- Garrett

Offline conchordian

« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2012, 02:45:07 am »
The relevant devices are:
Motion Sensor, LightSensor and TemperatureSensor.  Not sure if you need the movement icon, or not so there's both.
http://i.imgur.com/Fp1nY.gif
http://i.imgur.com/e25YN.gif

I'm not sure how to give you my lu-sdata, but I'm happy to provide it, if you let me know how. :)

Cheers

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2012, 04:07:31 am »
The relevant devices are:
Motion Sensor, LightSensor and TemperatureSensor.  Not sure if you need the movement icon, or not so there's both.
http://i.imgur.com/Fp1nY.gif
http://i.imgur.com/e25YN.gif

I'm not sure how to give you my lu-sdata, but I'm happy to provide it, if you let me know how. :)

Cheers

You can retrieve the lu_sdata by going to the following link:

http://ip:3480/data_request?id=lu_sdata

Where ip is the vera ip address. Before you send it off, please go through the data and carefully remove any passwords or sensitive data you might have. You can take the data and put it into a json formatter found here: http://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/ to have the data be easily readable. You can than send the data to authomation at garrettpower.com.

What has me baffled is that by looking at the pictures, they look like normal temperature and light sensor devices. AutHomation should have no problem picking them up.

- Garrett

Offline grybrd

« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2012, 03:48:17 pm »
OK ... 'he' who waits till things are released had to download your beta app.  Thanks for such a great update!!!   Tried the speech thing and it will turn on a light but not turn it off ... get the ole don't understand message.  Garrett thanks again the family will like it too.

Doug

Offline conchordian

« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2012, 08:59:37 pm »

Where ip is the vera ip address. Before you send it off, please go through the data and carefully remove any passwords or sensitive data you might have. You can take the data and put it into a json formatter found here: http://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/ to have the data be easily readable. You can than send the data to authomation at garrettpower.com.

What has me baffled is that by looking at the pictures, they look like normal temperature and light sensor devices. AutHomation should have no problem picking them up.

- Garrett

OK, I've sent you an email with that data.  I also noticed setting the default page to 'Favourites' doesn't seem to work when the app loads.

The voice recognition is cool, but the 'beep' seems to interfere when waiting, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2012, 12:48:59 am »
OK ... 'he' who waits till things are released had to download your beta app.  Thanks for such a great update!!!   Tried the speech thing and it will turn on a light but not turn it off ... get the ole don't understand message.  Garrett thanks again the family will like it too.

Doug

The voice recognition can take some getting use to. Speaking clearly and not too fast seems to be the key. Once you get the voice commands down, it should work pretty well. It has been pretty flawless for me.

- Garrett

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2012, 12:54:42 am »

- Garrett

OK, I've sent you an email with that data.  I also noticed setting the default page to 'Favourites' doesn't seem to work when the app loads.

The voice recognition is cool, but the 'beep' seems to interfere when waiting, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

I got your email and will look into what is going on with the 3-in-1 device. As for the favorites tab, this is only available for tablet layout. I made a change to the settings section stating this. As for the beep, what do you mean when waiting? I need to fine tune the voice recognition UI more, but what happens is when the dialog loads up, it initializes the voice api's and the text to speech. Once that is ready, it will beep and than allow the microphone to start listening to audio and you can start speaking.

- Garrett

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Public Beta Build of Version 2.0 Beta 8
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2012, 01:14:32 am »
Beta 8 has been released. It addresses bug fixes that were reported in the last week and added additional voice recognition commands. I also forgot to mention that the voice recognition portion of the app can accessed via a home screen widget. It is just an icon that allows for direct access to the voice recognition. It can be added by adding a new widget to the home screen and selecting "AutHomation VR / AutHomationHD VR".

- Garrett

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2012, 02:58:34 am »
Garrett,

I know this is a totally unsupported hack, but the Kindle Fire can use an iPhone style headset/microphone and can make use of the mic.  It doesn't work out of the box, but I was able to follow directions here: http://kindlefireboss.blogspot.com/2012/02/control-your-kindle-fire-by-voice-what.html and get that portion working (you don't need to install the voice actions, just google voice).  I then installed a free audio note taking application, and it worked!

Before I installed the above, when I tapped the microphone, I would get a gold mic with "Voice recognition not available!" which I expected.

So I installed the Google Now I get a green might with "Initializing..."  I hit "Speak Now", the mic turns red/dings/"Ready for Speech"...I try "Turn on kitchen" and after a little while I get "No speech input."

I was doing further reading, and some people mentioned that the Kindle Fire can ONLY handle half-duplex.  So it can't play audio at the same time that it's recording audio.  With the test application and headphones, I can hear the headphones being turned off just before the recording is started.  However, with AutHomation (not HD), the headphones are still active, even though no sound is coming out.  I think that means the Kindle isn't really receiving any audio from the mic.  Is is possible to turn off the audio output just prior to starting the recording?

BTW: This was Beta 8.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:00:11 am by PurdueGuy »
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2012, 05:03:06 am »
Garrett,

I know this is a totally unsupported hack, but the Kindle Fire can use an iPhone style headset/microphone and can make use of the mic.  It doesn't work out of the box, but I was able to follow directions here: http://kindlefireboss.blogspot.com/2012/02/control-your-kindle-fire-by-voice-what.html and get that portion working (you don't need to install the voice actions, just google voice).  I then installed a free audio note taking application, and it worked!

Before I installed the above, when I tapped the microphone, I would get a gold mic with "Voice recognition not available!" which I expected.

So I installed the Google Now I get a green might with "Initializing..."  I hit "Speak Now", the mic turns red/dings/"Ready for Speech"...I try "Turn on kitchen" and after a little while I get "No speech input."

I was doing further reading, and some people mentioned that the Kindle Fire can ONLY handle half-duplex.  So it can't play audio at the same time that it's recording audio.  With the test application and headphones, I can hear the headphones being turned off just before the recording is started.  However, with AutHomation (not HD), the headphones are still active, even though no sound is coming out.  I think that means the Kindle isn't really receiving any audio from the mic.  Is is possible to turn off the audio output just prior to starting the recording?

BTW: This was Beta 8.

Thanks for the info. Let me try a few modifications and I'll send you a different build to test and see if we can get it working.

- Garrett