We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Massive #FAIL MCV! - UI5  (Read 12748 times)

Offline PurdueGuy

Re: Massive #FAIL MCV! - UI5
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 05:52:39 pm »
What can I say - my Vera3 works perfect and have had zero problems - mostly because I keep it simple.
I'm glad you aren't having problems, but if you are going to keep it simple, you don't need a Vera.

I experimented with just using a Leviton controller, but it was too basic.  Sure I could have scenes, but no "leaving" and having lights turn off after a minute, or coming 'home" and having the heat/AC automatically adjust.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline PaulMcT

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:13 pm »
I said simple. I did not say un-sophisticated. Good programmers make processes easy to use, easy to debug, and easy to maintain. In other words, simple, or, if you prefer, elegant. YMMV.

Cheerios,
PaulMcT.

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 04:42:10 am »
A synonym for simple is actually unsophisticated!

It would appear Vera problem have nothing to do with "simple" or "non-simple" setups.  Sometimes Vera just breaks or walks off into the ether, and just doesn't work.

Remember, because you aren't having problems, that's GREAT.  But to diminish the fact the a number of others are is marginalizing their experiences.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline sjolshagen

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53:39 am »
I said simple. I did not say un-sophisticated. Good programmers make processes easy to use, easy to debug, and easy to maintain. In other words, simple, or, if you prefer, elegant. YMMV.

Cheerios,
PaulMcT.

Since you claim you've never had a problem with your Vera, you appear to be assigning the source of fault to us, the end users. And you appear to indict lack of programming skill ("processes easy to use, easy to debug and easy to maintain") on the end-users part as being part of the problem. I would suggest you go back and look at how Vera/Mios is positioned, then explain to us how the level of programming skill has anything to do with this product from an end-user perspective (hint: The fact that you do _not_ need to be an CS or EE major is a significant - the dominant? - part of the value proposition).

And for the record, _none_ of the problems I've personally had with MIOS/Vera have had anything to do with the Luup/LUA code I wrote (which, within the confines of the MIOS environment, are as easy to debug as they can be - i.e. lots, and lots, of log output :( - it'd be really nice with a MIOS simulator, hint, hint, hint!) . It's almost unequivocally components MCV have guaranteed will work and/or a new Firmware release / the upgrade process. And yes, sometimes that firmware release is "Beta" (often/always - MCV does seem to be in a near constant beta cycle :) ) and things are expected to "go wrong" on occasion.

That said, and since I started this thread with a (massive) rant, let me state that I actually _enjoy_ tinkering and writing code. It's fun! It's when the core OS fails (completely) and my wife complains that I get frustrated and cranky. I was _very_ cranky earlier this week...

I don't want to set a precedent, so I'll state for the record, that it should not have taken that level of frustration (and public airing of it) for me to get the help I got as it will likely mean significant upswing in noise-to-activity on the forums (people will start b*tching here after only a couple of hours/minutes of perceived non-response). We all need to remember that nowhere in the purchase documentation does MCV provide a Service Level Agreement (SLA).

My primary frustration stemmed from the perceived prioritization of the support cases, not the fact that I had to wait a day or two (I expected that). Once I got help for my more critical problem, the help has been excellent and swift!

Thanks to Daniel @ MCV for that!

(Just hope I didn't jinx myself now since my Vera isn't 100% back to normal yet...)
Vera3/UI5 @ v1.5.622

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 08:25:19 am »
ah well we are humans after all and even the most patient get somewhere in the line frustrated about the fact that he (and with him most of his life) cannot continu. so the problem needs solving . presure from other people in the surroundings can make this problem even bigger looking than in reality it most often is. the thing is we put trust in there product and they do there best to prove wurthy of that , even more they constantly trying to improve it even..most companies are not willng to go that far.. major problem is the big gap between simple every day users and the highly technical skilled. the interface is the biggest problem in here, as most often it is in real life. to properly fix this problem we would require another humanity ..

Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline pzucchel

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 07:25:24 pm »
i understand everybody's frustration. may i make a provocative statement?

UI5 was simply badly managed in terms of commercialization, i am very happy from the moment  i went back to UI4 and everything's running smoothly as oil...

UI5 should have remained inside MCV for still quite a long time, i sense some manager wanted to drive xmas sales with UI5 and vera3...@MCV - please give back the control to engineers ;-)

ultimately, i thank you: you made me discover UI4 and now i am a very satisfied MCV-UI4 customer!

p.s. i have 10 years experience in producing systems containing embedded systems/software...

Offline Turk4U2

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 03:30:02 am »
Any news on the expected (public) firmware release ?
VERAPLUS / UI7, Horstmann thermostats, Fibaro switches and dimmers, Duwi screen and blind controllers, DSC1832/IT-100, Foscam camera's, Itach WiFi2IR

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 07:08:54 am »
There is a new private beta build; i.e. something more recent than 1.5.322.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Da_JoJo

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:41 am »
where can i find this ?
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 07:58:45 am »
where can i find this ?
Private build at the moment, not public. I don't know if MCV plan to release it as a public beta.

Offline Da_JoJo

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 08:06:59 am »
cheers :)

Offline Turk4U2

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 03:35:05 pm »

Is 1.5.322 the most recent public version then ?
Seem to have read somewhere that VERA3 gets upgraded automatically without user involvement.
But I am still on 1.5. 254
VERAPLUS / UI7, Horstmann thermostats, Fibaro switches and dimmers, Duwi screen and blind controllers, DSC1832/IT-100, Foscam camera's, Itach WiFi2IR

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »
Is 1.5.322 the most recent public version then ?
Correct.

Offline Turk4U2

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 02:42:41 pm »
Looking under the Setup/Firmware tab in UI5, I get:

"Testing connection to: download2.mios.com ... OK

You are running the latest version: 1.5.254 ."

Are the European and US versions possibly upgraded separately ?

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 02:51:54 pm »
You will need to manually upgrade to 1.5.322. Going to cp.mios.com/firmware will walk you through the upgrade process.

- Garrett