Author Topic: Help needed pairing Vera Plus with Hue Bridge  (Read 851 times)

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
Help needed pairing Vera Plus with Hue Bridge
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:59:41 pm »
Hi all

I seem to struggle every time I try do something new with my Vera... hopefully it will get easier over time.  I just installed a Hue starter kit (bridge + 2 lights) and want to connect the bridge to the Vera. 

I have followed what seemed like a pretty standard process: devices/add device/dimmers and lights/Philips Hue --> pairing.  I have checked the 'accept...' tick box, pressed the button on the bridge, and clicked 'install'.  That seems to go ok.  I then get the 'connectivity' screen (screenshot 9, with 'use this one' unchecked).  I lose it here.

I've tried leaving 'use this one' unchecked and clicking 'pair with bridge' (pressing the button on the bridge first).
I've tried checking 'use this one' and clicking 'pair with bridge'.
I've tried entering the ip address and clicking on 'save ip address'.

I get a pop up that says 'success' at the top and 'Bridge pairing in process, please wait...' in the body and then it goes back to the same screen, so I click finish and get taken back to the devices page where Philips Hue is switched to off and there is a message 'Can't detect device' (screenshot 12).

If I try to toggle the switch to on I get a spinning circle and it says 'sending command'.  The message goes but it is still switched to off.  toggling again does nothing.  If I click through in to the app it says 'can't detect device'.

I've also tried pressing the Hue button after 'pair with bridge', and have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times trying different methods.

I tried installing AltHue (with the Vera Hue app uninstalled) and had pretty much the same problem.

Help!

Offline Don Phillips

Re: Help needed pairing Vera Plus with Hue Bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:34:01 pm »
I have heard the Hue plug-in is not working in the current firmware.  Amg0 developed his own plug-in that people report seems to work well. Here is a link: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,77267.msg373382.html#msg373382
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 07:57:46 pm »
I tried AltHue as well and gave up after the first couple of attempts were the same.  The problem is that I can't get the Vera unit to connect/detect the Bridge so I'm doubtful it would make a difference.  If I get time I'll try again with ALTHue but hopefully someone can identify why it won't connect.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:57 am »
I've just tried again with ALTHue.  No joy.  I get to the same point.  With ALTHue the only place I can enter an ip address is in the params tab of the advance section in the app, which doesn't do anything, and no pairing button anywhere.  I don't get a screen that looks anything like section 4 of chapitre 2 of the guide - the standard app is closer to that.

The problem is definitely pairing.

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 03:54:16 am »
I tried AltHue as well and gave up after the first couple of attempts were the same.

I've just tried again with ALTHue.  No joy.  I get to the same point.  With ALTHue the only place I can enter an ip address is in the params tab of the advance section in the app, which doesn't do anything, and no pairing button anywhere.

I just installed the ALTHue plugin on a Veras Edge with the latest firmware. Everything worked perfectly, with no issues at all.

What you *MUST* remember is: After you install a plugin (*ANY* plugin), allow the Luup Engine to finish reloading, and *REFRESH YOUR BROWSER* (Use CTRL-F5).

The browser UI does *NOT* automatically refresh after plugin installation, and missing UI components (eg: the "pair"button) is a sure sign that, although the plugin has installed, the UI has not loaded the installed files properly.

so:
1) Install plugin.
2) Wait for Luup reload to finish.
3) Refresh your Browser (CTRL-F5).
4) Go to the settings page. Enter the IP address (or press "Discovery Meethue.com" button, and select from the detected address(es)). Click on "save".
5) Allow Luup engine to reload.
6) Go to the settings page. Press the button on the Hue Bridge. Click on the "pair" button. Once the status changes to "paired", click on the "save" button again.
7) Wait for the Luup engine to reload.
8) Refresh your Browser (CTRL-F5).

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:01:04 am by cybrmage »

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 04:00:44 am »
I just installed the ALTHue plugin on a Veras Edge with the latest firmware. Everything worked perfectly, with no issues at all.

What you *MUST* remember is: After you install a plugin (*ANY* plugin), allow the Luup Engine to finish reloading, and *REFRESH YOUR BROWSER* (Use CTRL-F5).

The browser UI does *NOT* automatically refresh after plugin installation, and missing UI components (eg: the "pair"button) is a sure sign that, although the plugin has installed, the UI has not loaded the installed files properly.
This might be helpful... I now have a screen like the one in the instructions (almost - I have save instead of submit).  How long should the reload take?  I get a pop up saying it's reloading, but nothing to indicate that it's happened, and just an unsuccessful message pop up when I click pair.  I also haven't refreshed the browser.

So is it:

reload
refresh
pair?

And hopefully the refresh will fix the problem I'm having with pairing.

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 04:12:32 am »
How long should the reload take?

The reload take as long as it takes... It depends entirely on the number of devices and plugins that you have installed.

Recent firmware versions have disabled the "status bar" the used to be displayed at the top of the page when the luup engine was reloading or plugins needed to display status information (enable it at "Users & Account Info"/"Notification settings"/"Notifications Header (Additional diagnostic and operational messages displayed)")... So unless you explicitly enable the status bar, you just have to wait... Unless there is a significant error that causes a Luup reload loop, the reload should be done in under 3 minutes.

just an unsuccessful message pop up when I click pair.

The unsuccessful message happens if you click the "pair" button *BEFORE* you press the control button on the Hue Bridge. You *MUST* press the button on the Hue Bridge *BEFORE* you click on the "pair" button.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:15:18 am by cybrmage »

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 05:55:41 am »
It's possible I hadn't waited long enough for the reload.  I only have one other plug in (apart from the 2 defaults) for Netatmo.  I've definitely been hitting the pair button first.  Between enabling the status bar and refreshing the browser hopefully I'll be able to get it working.  I won't have a chance until some time tomorrow, but I'll post an update after.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 05:03:13 pm »
In the last post I meant I had been pressing the bridge pair button first, not 'pair' in vera.

I had a quick go this morning but no dice.  I will try uninstalling and reinstalling fresh later.  I logged a call with support and all they have done is tell me to follow the instructions I've been following.

Oh, I still didn't get an indicator on the status of the reload with the notification header setting set to on, but I did wait a full 3 minutes.

I'll post again later with how I go and whether there is any change with a fresh reinstall.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:56:25 am »
This is absurd... I now have a message saying can't reach Hue Bridge because of missing ip address in attributes, on the same screen showing the ip address.  The ip address was also present in the parameters tab.

I paired 2 new bulbs to the bridge earlier.

Any ideas?

Edit: I have done the save for the ip address before trying to pair and getting this message.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:05:14 am by lisam77 »

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 07:32:53 am »
Get rid of the / in front of the 9. Alsoake sure no spaces before or after the IP.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 07:34:37 am »
That slash should probably be a 1.9 based on the error message.
Get rid of the / in front of the 9. Alsoake sure no spaces before or after the IP.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 11:48:55 pm »
That's a '7' not a '/'.

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:12 am »
@lisam77:  Why is your Vera on 192.168.1.X, while your Hue Bridge is on 192.168.86.X???

Both devices should be on the same network!!

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 01:19:12 am »
Interesting... the bridge IP is from the meethue site. 

I just checked all of my other devices through the google wifi app and they are on .86.xx, except one of the TV's.  That TV is connected to one of the google pucks and works fine.  It has a .1.xx similar to the bridge.  The Vera unit itself doesn't show up on the list of google wifi devices.  The only thing I have it connected to so far is Netatmo, and I can't see the IP for that.

I have a modem/router with a switch plugged in to it that everything else runs off (google wifi, NAS, Hue, Vera).  When I set up my Vera I had heaps of problems, and tried it in both the switch and the modem.  Is it possible it picked up an IP address while plugged in to the modem (that IP is .1.xx) and that's the issue?  I don't have any static IPs.

I am super reluctant to set up from scratch again.  I power cycled all of the units simultaneously a couple of days ago due to connectivity issues.