Author Topic: Help needed pairing Vera Plus with Hue Bridge  (Read 363 times)

Offline cybrmage

Re: Help needed pairing Vera Plus with Hue Bridge
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 01:53:26 am »
The Vera unit itself doesn't show up on the list of google wifi devices.

That is because the Vera is *NOT* on the same network as the google connected devices...

If I understand correctly... The Vera is connected to your Mouter (Modem/Router - Your primary internet device)... Your Google wifi puck(s) are also connected to your Mouter... Everything else is connected to your Google puck(s)... Because the Google puck(s) act as their own router and firewall, anything connected to them is not accessible to the Vera, as any traffic to these devices is blocked by the Google puck(s).

You need to either move the Vera to the same network as the other devices, or move the devices you want to control with the Vera onto the same network as the Vera.

The only thing I have it connected to so far is Netatmo, and I can't see the IP for that.

You don't need the local IP for the netatmo device because the netatmo plugin(s) use a cloud connection... They talk directly to the Netatmo cloud servers, and the netatmo server talk to your netatmo station.

I don't have any static IPs.

You need to have some static IP addresses... Well, you need to at least have IP reservations.

Most Vera plugins that talk to local devices do not deal well with devices that change IP addresses... You need to fix their address to ensure there are no problems down the road.

Set an IP reservation for your IP connected home automation devices in the router that they are directly attached to (ignoring any switches - switches are transparent)... As you describe your current setup, the Vera's IP address would be reserved in your Mouter, while the Hue Bridge would be reserved in the Google Wifi.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 02:30:41 am »
If I understand correctly... The Vera is connected to your Mouter (Modem/Router - Your primary internet device)... Your Google wifi puck(s) are also connected to your Mouter... Everything else is connected to your Google puck(s)... Because the Google puck(s) act as their own router and firewall, anything connected to them is not accessible to the Vera, as any traffic to these devices is blocked by the Google puck(s).

You need to either move the Vera to the same network as the other devices, or move the devices you want to control with the Vera onto the same network as the Vera.

The Vera is plugged in to the switch, which is plugged in to google (which is plugged in to the mouter).  I thought that would put everything on the same network.  So my question now is, how do I get the Vera on to the same network as the rest?

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:30 pm »
Wow - I feel really stupid now... I checked all of the cables again and the Vera wasn't connected to the switch after all.  Moved it over, power cycled, and all is well.

Thank you so much to everyone who pitched in to help.