Author Topic: Rachio plugin - Offline (quota exceeded--delaying)  (Read 254 times)

Offline shashankmittal

Rachio plugin - Offline (quota exceeded--delaying)
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:53 pm »
I have been testing the Rachio plugin with Vera for few days now. So far it didn't seem to have any connectivity issues, but today it stopped working and I see this error: " Offline (quota exceeded--delaying) "

I have a scene in Vera that triggers a watering schedule on Rachio if the outdoor temperature is above 90F between 2-3pm. The watering schedule is in Rachio and Vera isn't controlling the zones individually, but instead just calls Rachio to start this schedule.

This scene stopped working because of the above error. I logged into Rachio app and it shows the device to be up and running. I was able to run that watering schedule manually using the Rachio app.

Online tomtcom

Re: Rachio plugin - Offline (quota exceeded--delaying)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:38:30 pm »
Check here first, there's a mention of offline delayed in the first post.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Emicasaverde%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D54243%2E0&share_tid=54243&share_fid=24007&share_type=t

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline shashankmittal

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »
Thanks

Hopefully rigpapa will chime in.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 06:30:26 pm »
I have been testing the Rachio plugin with Vera for few days now. So far it didn't seem to have any connectivity issues, but today it stopped working and I see this error: " Offline (quota exceeded--delaying) "

Rachio enforces a limit of 1700 API queries per day. The plugin normally operates well below this limit, but a number of things can drive it up, most notoriously a Vera that's restarting Luup frequently. But let's look inward first. On your Rachio master device control panel (where you made your screen shot), there's a "status" link down in the copyright area in the "Support links" section. Click that, and PM or email me the output (email address is on my profile).
Author of Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, SiteSensor, DelayLight, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline shashankmittal

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:14:43 pm »
Thank you!

I just sent you an email with the status report.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:58:24 pm »
Got it, everything looks good, but you've definitely bumped on Rachio's quota. What does your scene trigger look like, and what is your temperature source?
Author of Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, SiteSensor, DelayLight, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline shashankmittal

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:22:50 pm »
Interesting. If the scene isn't triggered, how does it reach the quota?

I have attached the trigger screenshot and the MiOS plugin I use to monitor the outdoor temp.

BTW, there is no luup code in my scene. The device action is basically a schedule that exists in Rachio.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:17:57 pm »
Interesting. If the scene isn't triggered, how does it reach the quota?

I have attached the trigger screenshot and the MiOS plugin I use to monitor the outdoor temp.

BTW, there is no luup code in my scene. The device action is basically a schedule that exists in Rachio.

The plugin polls the Rachio API every two minutes, and a burst of 4 calls is generated for reinventory every hour and on each Luup reload. And then, every action you take on the UI can generate 2-3 API calls, depending on the action. So a quiet system will easily generate close to 800 API calls per day, but that's still a lot of room (the quota is more than double that at 1700). Something's fishy. Do you have your Rachio integrated with anything else (Home Assistant, Home Seer, Smartthings, Alexa, Google Home, other)? Rachio's quota is per-account, not per-integration, so if you have multiple integrations connected, they are all competing for that quota.

Offline shashankmittal

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 09:26:15 pm »
I have Nest thermostat integration and that's it. I don't use voice assistants and the only automation hub I use is Vera.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 10:10:26 pm »
OK. As I continue to dig through the status dump you sent me, I think what's going on is becoming more clear.

You've got some long-running schedules. Really long. "Drip zones turf" ran from 10:36pm last night to 1:20am this morning (times are in my timezone, EDT, adjust accordingly for yours). "Backyard sprinkers" then started at 1:24am and ran until 9:38am. Those are long runs. Both are flex schedules. Backyard watered 7 zones, most just longer than an hour, but one zone over 1.5 hours.

While a schedule is running, the plugin steps up its "hit" rate to the Rachio API in an effort to keep the UI and states current with what the controller is doing with more granularity than the default (2 minute) interval. The "active" interval drops to 30 seconds when a schedule is running. It's easy to see that with such long-running schedules, it's hitting the quota very hard. For just those two schedules would account for 325+987=1312 API queries. Not surprised you suddenly bumped the quota.

If this is not some kind of a scheduling error, first let me say, I would not want your water bill. ;D But seriously, if this is normal, we just need to tweak up your "active" interval to manage the quota better. To do that:

1. Go into the Rachio master device's control panel, to the "Advanced" tab, and to the "Variables" sub-tab. See if the ActiveInterval variable is listed. If so, hit the edit link and change it to 60, then reload Luup (I like to just enter luup.reload() in Apps > Develop apps > Test Luup code). You're done. Ignore the rest of this procedure.

2. If the ActiveInterval variable is not present in step 1, go to the "New Service" sub-tab (next to "Variables") and enter the following using copy-paste (it must be perfect to work):

New service: urn:toggledbits-com:serviceId:Rachio1
New variable: ActiveInterval
New value: 60

3. Hit the "Add" button, wait a few seconds, and then hit the "Reload Engine" button.

Rachio's quotas reset daily at midnight UTC. Once that happens, you should be good to go. Keep an eye on it over a week or two. If you're still bumping quota, you can increase this interval even more, but I'd do it in 10 or 15 second increments, then play "wait and see" for a week or two again. As you're testing this, it may be useful to go the Notifications tab on the Rachio master device and create a notification for "Whenever Rachio is offline". Then you'll get a notice and you can check the device to see why (quota or something else).

Offline shashankmittal

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 10:31:39 pm »
You are a genius! That was really helpful.

I have 15 zones on my property and 8 drip zones and 7 sprinkler zones. The sprinkler zones have 2 pop up heads each, so to water the entire property, the total schedule run time is really long as each zone is activated sequentially. With this setup, I save a lot of water and believe me, my water bill isn't that high :) I designed an installed the irrigation system myself to be very water efficient.

Your explanation of whats going on makes sense. I added the "ActiveInterval" variable with a value of 60 and will monitor it over the next few days.

Thanks again!

Offline shashankmittal

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 12:34:55 pm »
Hi Rigpapa
So I am not getting that quota exceeded error now, however, I got "Invalid API key" last week. It stayed on until I re-entered the same API key back into the Rachio Service control Panel. It worked for a week and not I have the same error today again. Any thoughts?

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 08:57:23 pm »
Hi Rigpapa
So I am not getting that quota exceeded error now, however, I got "Invalid API key" last week. It stayed on until I re-entered the same API key back into the Rachio Service control Panel. It worked for a week and not I have the same error today again. Any thoughts?

Steady as a rock for me for months, and you're the first person to report this. Anyone else?

Check this, though: go to your Rachio master device, into the control panel, and click the "Scenes" tab. Make sure the master device is not listed in any scenes that would manipulate it, and in particular, there should be no "SetAPIKey" actions.

If it happens again, go the device control panel for the master device and hit the "status" link in the "Support Links" area of the copyright notice, and send me the output via PM or email (address on my profile).