Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General / Re: WHY Vera not allow to add the same name to multiple sensors!?
« Last post by Jamr on Today at 12:42:48 am »
The idea of the "Room" is to categorize your sensors in a way that makes sense to you.
If I remember correctly Vera did not categorize by room the devices you had to choose from when selecting ones for a scene from a huge list. So a description of "Bed1 Door" was much more descriptive than "Door" and "Door" or even Door1 or Door 2. They do use rooms to categorize the devices so it is not as big a deal.
Just remember, the devices can be arranged in a Room, Type or List organization so I feel it is best to have a room and a name of the device in the device name.
I agree it can be better.

General / Re: Over the air updates for device firmware
« Last post by Tillsy on February 23, 2018, 08:39:25 pm »
note the last Vera FW update

I've been thinking about this, given my Vera stuffed itself immediately and repeatedly when I unboxed it, and I'm in total agreement here.  If Vera can't even manage their own firmwares properly then it is very good the whole Z-Wave OTA thing is a lie.

It's just frustrating the OTA feature even exists, because it means the firmware update process for Z-Wave devices has been made totally unnecessarily inconvenient, disruptive, and painful.  You know, all the things you should never do to a customer.
VeraMate (iOS) / Re: HOW TO HIDE DEVICES AND ASSIGN CUSTOM ICONS
« Last post by Don Phillips on February 23, 2018, 08:14:13 pm »
You can customize.  Here is a sample of my setup.
« Last post by Tillsy on February 23, 2018, 07:36:49 pm »
I should add that if the FW update is interrupted then the device will brick itself.
I did a manufacturer test last year, it was soooo slow uploading the hex file that the update failed and bricked the device.
Needless to say I have politely ignored any further request to test FW upgrades.
Again, this is dark ages stuff in the IT world.  Yes, 20 years ago if anything what-so-ever happened during the firmware update then it's a goner.  Nothing you can do, it's brain dead.  Since then, a device will prepare the replacement firmware and THEN switch between the old and new.  Plus various other safeguards.

The same old warnings always apply, but it's not really an issue.  Not saying its 100% safe, but that you've actually had problems tells me once again we are talking dark ages crap here.

Little wonder Apple steps forward and says "you HA guys are good at HA, but you know sh#t about IT... so we'll take over that aspect of it with HomeKit".

I completely appreciate what you are saying.  However big talking a plumber makes one sound stupid, big talking an engineer makes one sound stupid, I'm just saying that all this talk here about firmware stuff is ridiculous in the IT world.  A Cisco guy alone can easily install 50 firmware updates in the space of a day and not once, not even for a moment, would there be a consideration that it could end up bricked.  Some new bug or compatibility with the new firmware, sure, but the firmware update itself going wrong... only if it's a 20 year old device.

So again I'm horrified - this is like when people used to think using your radio while driving will flatten the car battery.  Except in this case a Z-Wave radio really would flatten the car battery...
« Last post by zedrally on February 23, 2018, 07:27:54 pm »
I should add that if the FW update is interrupted then the device will brick itself.
I did a manufacturer test last year, it was soooo slow uploading the hex file that the update failed and bricked the device.
Needless to say I have politely ignored any further request to test FW upgrades.

« Last post by Selkirk on February 23, 2018, 07:22:00 pm »
And apparently the Aeotec firmware update requires Windows.
« Last post by Tillsy on February 23, 2018, 07:14:08 pm »
as it's a FW Upgrade (for the device), it totally resets it and will require re-inclusion

Good grief this gets more and more insane!

Unless it's just because I've been in IT for 25 years so things like firmware updates are something we do day in day out, especially in recent years with the volume of significant security and performance issues with products.  But even at a personal level I update my camera, security system, heck I just firmware updated my Jeep a few months ago... hearing things like a firmware wiping something to factory default is caveman talk to me.

I got into all this HA because the industry claims it has come so far, but the reality I am finding is that this is a pig born in 1976 that has had lipstick put on it.

Onwards and, well, sideways I guess.
« Last post by zedrally on February 23, 2018, 06:54:29 pm »
To my knowledge only HomeSeer supports OTA.

But you are correct, as it's a FW Upgrade (for the device), it totally resets it and will require re-inclusion.
It certainly does not do it automatically with good reason, note the last Vera FW update, multiply it x amount of devices and anyone who does upgrade and fails may as well walk away from HA.
« Last post by Tillsy on February 23, 2018, 06:48:44 pm »
Z-Wave Plus - Inbuilt OTA firmware updates.  Everything Z-Wave boasts this, but yeah nah get stuffed not really.  Exclude your device and lose everything you've set up, then go do it yourself manually in total violation of the OTA claim, and then go re-include and re-setup everything again.

Actually the situation is a bit worse than this.  It's not quite "go do it yourself manually".

See in the complete history of firmware upgradable technology you simply:
1. Grab device and update it with your computer

Now with this OTA firmware updating that doesn't actually exist, the whole Z-Wave industry has screwed us:
1. Firstly the false impression this is happening automatically, it's not happening at all
2. You need to exclude the device and lose the whole setup
3. You need to get a Z-Wave stick for your computer
4. You have to go through a much more complicated update process
5. You need to re-include the device back into your system
6. You need to reconfigure the device, scenes, scripts, etc

I can't believe this is for real...?!?!?
General / Re: WHY Vera not allow to add the same name to multiple sensors!?
« Last post by Tillsy on February 23, 2018, 06:40:15 pm »
In the IT world most things are known by an internal unique ID number, not by the friendly name you give it.  So it wouldn't matter from that perspective.

Understand where the original poster is coming from though - I ran into the same confusion.  Let's say you are just talking about doors...

BED1 - DOOR
BED2 - DOOR < nope can't do that

So...
BED1 - BED1 DOOR
BED2 - BED2 DOOR

Works, but the point of the room now is what exactly?  BED1 BED1 DOOR is pretty retarded.  But have to keep it that way otherwise if you want to active something via Siri and go "Hey Siri turn on bed 1 light" you have no choice but to call that BED1 BED1 LIGHT.

No biggie, just makes a mockery of the rooms concept... they're nothing more than groupings, their presumed purpose in associating with the devices themselves is not the case.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10