Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Reverb is an app that lets you issue Alexa commands from your phone. It doesn't have many features, just simple voice commands. Instead of opening the app, searching for a device, I just tap reverb, say what I want and I'm done. It takes 2-3 seconds depending on the 3g/4g connection. I'd love to see something like that but only for vera for quick access to things..

Regarding UI8
- setting for scaling per user/device
- custom icons for devices
- reorder / hide devices in custom categories / zone (for display only)
- mix devices and scenes and whatever else i want on the same "page" / view
- order "pages" left to right so i can swipe between them
- quick access to commands via swiping up/down starting from an icon (for example tap and hold then swipe up on dimmer shows a percentage and by going up you increase the light level)

General / Re: MIOS Acquisition
« Last post by aPL on Today at 03:19:42 am »
My top wishes would be

0. Stability - cut the engine in multiple pieces so something breaking does not take the whole vera offline or cause a full restart

1. Repeatability - same action should end up with the same result every time IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME - most issues I've had with automation (by looking at how non-technical people around me use it) is the irregular duration for things, If pushing a button does something in the 2-3 second range it's not acceptable to sometimes take 10 seconds - only causes confusion and frustation. I'd rather have the action take one extra second always, than fluctuate all the time

3. Websocket or mqtt (or anything else that can have a single connection for multiple streams of data and with no polling)

4. Https / ssl / tls on the local controller, even if it's self signed

5. Api keys or firewall/whitelist/blacklist for the api so i don't have to vlan vera to secure it (most people won't do anything like it)

6. An option to turn off MiOS cloud service integration (and disable anything related to it), or to select only the features I want

7. No more restarts every X time - this is basically wish #0 but I would write #0 a hundred times...
RFXtrx433 support! Both USB and LAN connection (I'm currently using both)

Wrt. Logging ang graphing:
I made an Excel script (running on a server in the LAN) that polls the vera every X minutes for sensor data and events (Eventwatcher). Thinking of the limited internal resources on a Vera, one shold probably facilitate for external data handling instead of on-board.

My solution is also internet independent, which is important so you don't lose data if the internet connection goes down (and even log when and how often it happens).

One challenge here is to get graphs out to devices, I make them in Excel and put them on a web service, not Ideal but OK..
openLuup / Re: Log names
« Last post by akbooer on Today at 03:10:00 am »
Well, this would appear to be your problem...

Code: [Select]
luup.attr_set ("openLuup.Logfile.Name", logs .. "LuaUPnP.log")
luup.attr_set ("openLuup.Logfile.Name", logs .. "LuaUPnP_startup.log")

You've defined the same attribute twice.

You cannot change the location of the startup log, the simple reason being that it starts being written before the user_data.json file gets read!  They are only written for a short time at restart and are very small.  Shouldn?t be an issue.
Looks very good !!!
« Last post by dJOS on Today at 02:57:31 am »
PLEG:
 without doubt he single most valuable PI available.

I'm in IT (ex server admin who still likes to tinker) and I found PLEG to be an incomprehensible, user hostile pile of junk - I actually found building my own HAC using Hass.io several orders of magnitude easier than learning PLEG .... and that involves editing half a dozen YAML files to get anything done!

PLEG is a great example of when programmers dont understand how to make a user friendly UI - there's just no excuse for it these days imo.

Thanks, that is exactly how I feel, but never dared to say it. I hold a degree in CS and it has been my occupation for 30 years, but I don't understand PLEG. Just figured that the logic in the UI had to be made for a different kind of people, PLC or hardware designers or something I don't understand. So I find writing code much easier. I use Node Red on a regular basis, and have no issues with Hass.io either. I have one scene in PLEG that I copied from the forum. It works, and I think I know why, but not quite sure.

I totally understand why people love PLEG, since that kind of logic is a big, missing gap in Vera. That's why most of my ~80 scenes have code in them. Vera need to offer this kind of logic, as they can't rely on people writing code if they want to enter a mass market. But it needs to be a lot more intuitive and user friendly than PLEG, or they will miss the target completely.

Yeah I'm honestly not sure why more folk dont provide that feedback, there's just so many ways PLEG could be made user friendly, instead it's user hostile.

I'm learning Node-Red atm myself, it's broadly pretty straight forward and being visual makes the learning curve much shallower.
That looks great!

I really hope to see a big change, and the news this week sounds extremely promising. Really hope you guys succeed with the plans you have for Vera, nothing would make me happier. Please make it happen, as soon as possible!  :)

• Multiple conditions in scenes (not only "OR" but also "AND"). Right now it's "advanced" scene logic, because only advanced users are able to have this, through various workarounds (PLEG, combination plugin, luup code, ...). A basic user should be able to create scenes such as "set the stairway light on for 20 seconds if motion is detected and light level is below 200lux".
  • IFTTT. I personally don't use it, but it looks to be good way to quickly get a way to interact with new/unsupported third party devices which are not Z-Wave ones (especially many of the "trending" ones), and as such is a good way to increase the value of the platform.
  • History of values/states. It is very surprising to have to set up plugins such as datamine in order to simply have access to previous values of a sensor. Even AltUI is able to provide a small history of sensor values, directly from the UI (yes, it's a kludge, but that's way better than nothing)
  • Voice synthesis through third-party speakers. Voice messages really increase the "wow" factor, and are also a convenient way to know what's going on. I am myself using the Sonos plugin for that (which is itself using Google translate for the synthesis), but various other ways are likely doable.
  • Ability to trigger scenes through switches connected to devices such as the Fibaro or Qubino ones. Right now we have to use luup to set a watcher to Fibaro device variables in order to be able to trigger scenes from single/double/triple click on S1/S2 buttons. For the Qubino devices, even though devices are handling S2/S3 buttons, there is also no way to trigger scenes from those. It's very convenient to be able to do things such as "open all the windows blinds when I double click on the "up" wall switch of one of the window blinds". I think that any user should be able to use those trigger from those devices, not only users able to use PLEG or luup.
« Last post by Thorden on Today at 02:48:58 am »
PLEG:
 without doubt he single most valuable PI available.

I'm in IT (ex server admin who still likes to tinker) and I found PLEG to be an incomprehensible, user hostile pile of junk - I actually found building my own HAC using Hass.io several orders of magnitude easier than learning PLEG .... and that involves editing half a dozen YAML files to get anything done!

PLEG is a great example of when programmers dont understand how to make a user friendly UI - there's just no excuse for it these days imo.

Thanks, that is exactly how I feel, but never dared to say it. I hold a degree in CS and it has been my occupation for 30 years, but I don't understand PLEG. Just figured that the logic in the UI had to be made for a different kind of people, PLC or hardware designers or something I don't understand. So I find writing code much easier. I use Node Red on a regular basis, and have no issues with Hass.io either. I have one scene in PLEG that I copied from the forum. It works, and I think I know why, but not quite sure.

I totally understand why people love PLEG, since that kind of logic is a big, missing gap in Vera. That's why most of my ~80 scenes have code in them. Vera need to offer this kind of logic, as they can't rely on people writing code if they want to enter a mass market. But it needs to be a lot more intuitive and user friendly than PLEG, or they will miss the target completely.

HomeSeer is probably the most mature and stable platform out there, used by advanced and demanding people, as well as unexperienced ones. But their GUI is far from perfect, to be very polite. If Vera could manage their level of functionality, device support and stability, and offer a modern UI on top, we have a winner! I really hope this will become true.

I agree that the mobile app is what people use on a daily basis, so it needs to be completely redesigned. I don't use it at all myself, since ImperiHome is superior for my needs. It combines several systems that I use in one UI, Vera is just one of them. I don't believe creating something like that should be a task for Vera. They need to create a simple but responsive and nice app for the useres that just have Vera to manage.
The ultimate goal for me is automation anyway, so 99% of the time I use the ImperiHome app, it is just to check status. 
Too bad this is not a multiple choice poll, since there are some very great additions to get here...
I'd love those in the following order of priority:

1. Advanced Scene Builder with multiple conditions and statements
2. Energy and Sensors logging and graphing
3. Customizable alerts and notifications
4. Tank level sensor (water, oil, ...)
5. Doorbell integration (Ring, Nest, ?)
6. Custom user profiles: Allow to create profiles for users with temporary (exceptional or reccurent) access (e.g. during vacation or specific hours of day every week) or access to only specific devices (like can open front door, but nothing else).
7. Modular/Customizable user interface: UI7 UI/UX could be heavily improved and get faster and smarter (PWA would help get function parity between web and mobile)
8. ONVIF support (camera)
9. See who is home (based on geofencing)
10. Native garage door
11. Virtual Switch/Sensor/Device creation
12. Better IFTTT and MS Flow integration
13. Wake on Lan/ Ping Sensor

Also unrelated to the product but a public bug base/feature track would be greatly appreciated and help user follow your progress without constantly have to contact support to hear the same answer all over again: "it's on the list but we can't give any time line".

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10