Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General / Re: What does CMH stand for?
« Last post by Don Phillips on February 21, 2018, 09:18:15 pm »
In central Ohio, CMH mean Columbus Municipal Hanger, which is the FAA designation for the John Glenn International Airport  8)
« Last post by Spanners on February 21, 2018, 08:29:16 pm »
Consider Migrating Homeseer.
« Last post by tomtcom on February 21, 2018, 07:52:03 pm »
Causal money hazard

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

« Last post by HSD99 on February 21, 2018, 07:39:48 pm »
"Crash My House"
General / Re: Z-Wave inclusion rituals and other black magic (a small rant)
« Last post by HSD99 on February 21, 2018, 07:36:23 pm »
Agree 100%. It's one of many reasons I don't recommend HA to non-technical people. It's shameful that this state of affairs has continued for so long.
ImperiHome (Android) / Re: Monthly subscription for imperihome?
« Last post by treetop777 on February 21, 2018, 07:12:27 pm »
Thanks, i wanted a nice wall mounted tablet as an alarm keypad and i am not sure you can get the vera app to demand a code?

If you're like me, you waste 5.00/month on you-don't-know-what!  Imperihome is a very nice interface, don't deprive yourself from it over 5.00/month.

Like for example, if you bought the thing that was suggested by the other member, that would be around 2 years worth of Imperihome fees and it can't display a camera.

Imperihome has "home" and "away" so it would serve your purpose and much, much more.  You can also have multiple wall mounted units all over the place.

We sometimes get hung-up on "it's the principal" and don't get things that are useful and would enjoy.

I'm a long time user but if i had to pay (5.00/month), i would!  Especially knowing that Vivint charges 85.00/month and Honeywell is something like 35.00/month for remote access.

That is IMO.
Video Camera Control / Hik-Vision NVR - basic http path will not work for still image.
« Last post by burn1out on February 21, 2018, 06:30:33 pm »
As the title says, I have added this still image link in the test area before accepting and naming the device, but after adding I get a nice shot of "invalid credentials" on local lan in the Desktop website and the Vera Mobile app but ImperiHome show the actual image on local lan.  I just don't get why a simple issue like this has no resolve. I'd love for someone to just tell me I'm doing it wrong, lol.

General / Z-Wave inclusion rituals and other black magic (a small rant)
« Last post by intveltr on February 21, 2018, 06:26:40 pm »
So, it's 2018, we put a car in space on a lark, but we can't get Z-Wave inclusion anywhere near ready for mainstream use.  Looking at the forums, even long time users still run into trouble,  Including myself.

For starters, what I read in the requirements is:
1) Include your device in the location you intend to use it
2) The device must be near Vera for inclusion to work.
That can be a hilariously hard to fulfill requirement.  Yeah, I have already dragged a 100m spool of UTP cable out to the shed in order to include some stuff there.  Thankfully my Vera came with a battery pack for the purpose.  Strangely, old Z-Wave equipment doesn't seem to mind being far away from vera when being included, but stuff with the newer chip does mind.  The device appears to be sort of included but is never configured.  Maybe it's some new security arrangement...  Whatever it is, it needs a fix.

Of course one can try "configure now", which comes with its own rituals: clicking that button on your laptop and sprinting to the device, trying to jam a tiny pin in a tiny hole in order to wake it up in time... Go!  You only have a few seconds.  I've even read accounts of people having to frantically keep clicking that button in order to have it stay awake during configuration or inclusion and I believe them.  I've been there myself.  And if that fails, you start trying other things, excluding and re-including, that sort of thing.  Right now I am staring at another one of those lovely "Failed at: please wait, getting the manufacturer" messages, and at this stage I wonder if sacrificing a chicken would help.  Who knows?

But seriously.  If we want home automation and Z-Wave to enter the homes of people who do not care for another hobby but just want a smart home, we need to make this better.  The beginner's experience literally starts with inclusion.  Right now it's worse than Bluetooth... and that's a low bar.
Nest / Re: WWN auth token expiry?
« Last post by gtallan on February 21, 2018, 06:19:28 pm »
Sure.
Go to Users & Account Info > Notifications Settings and enable the notification header option again.

Thanks, must have been the one page I didn't check!

I don't get the logic of where it's placed, but then the reboot button is on the network page so i expect that!
IPhone Locator / iPhone Credentials Not Being Saved ver 2.44
« Last post by MtView on February 21, 2018, 06:16:14 pm »
I'm giving this another go and it won't save my credentials.  I enter the icloud pw, choose a device and if I change the screen or tab the device disappears.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10