We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 20 Amp Z-Wave Outlet  (Read 11841 times)

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Re: 20 Amp Z-Wave Outlet
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 09:54:51 pm »
Well dodgy is probably true since I don't think any house should be wired with lights that are not on the celing! I was also surprised by this when I moved here!
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 01:37:12 am »
Haha, thanks for the replies (and the ascii art).

It is 110v (I just knew it was 20 amp but not the voltage till I looked at it). Guessed: The only reason I haven't been looking into contactors was only because I don't really know a lot about z-wave control yet :) I did see the 20 amp contactor shown here:

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Evolve-LFM-20-Z-Wave-Relay-Fixture-Module-P1007.aspx

Is this the smallest 20 amp contractor made? I did see some smaller contractors before but I'm assuming they would not be able to handle a 20 amp load because they were small enough to be wedged into a single gang box with the outlet you want to control. Although I'm not an expert in electrical wiring, I'm assuming I would wire the contactor up by connecting it to the wiring between the gang box and a 20 amp electrical outlet? The contactor basically acts as a z-wave controlled on/off switch and from what I've read, the device attached can then only be controlled via z-wave and not a remote (i.e.: my AC connected could then only be turned off via z-wave and not the remote that came with the AC)? Thanks for the help guys! I'm new to all this but definitely trying to learn...

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 01:01:46 pm »
There are a few Contactor modules floating around.   Most of them list their resistive loads, and some also list their load capability for inductive loads as well.

The larger ones are for controlling pool motors/heaters etc.  Most of the standard form-factor devices are only 15A (plugin or built-in).  I've not seen any lately that are 20A.

I'd be a little concerned about just nuking the power on an AirCond unit, esp if it's mid-cycle at the time.  If might be more gentle on the electrics to use IR, although not as "guaranteed" to be off, of course.